Mini Rec and Used Dual Rec same price...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guitarslayer

Reaction score
I have been noticing the new mini rec and used 2 and 3 channel dual rec are going for about the same price. I'm constantly on ebay searching for good deals. Now, I understand the mini rec is new and being sold for about $1000, but you can the get the real deal 100w version for the same price used. I'm feeling that the mini rec is over priced maybe? What do you think?

screamingdaisy said:
Why are you comparing the used price of a $2000 amp to the new price of a $1000 amp?
Why not? For the same money you can get the real dual rectifier tone that the mini is made to emulate. Its not like I'm comparing a new dual rec to a new mini and talking about price differences. I'm just making a point that for the same money (about $1000 and a lot of the time near mint) you can get the real deal dual recto tone.

Seems like you see the MR as a poor substitute for a DR. If so, buy the DR.

The MR has small size, reasonable volume (no need to shake the house off the foundation just to get it heated up) and tones that the DR can't really do.

It's really an apples-to-pomegranites comparison.

The Mini isn't trying to emulate anything. It is a 25w EL84 powered Rectifier.... and it costs $1000 new. Why the used price of a totally different amp is being compared to it I don't quite understand.

screamingdaisy said:
The Mini isn't trying to emulate anything. It is a 25w EL84 powered Rectifier.... and it costs $1000 new. Why the used price of a totally different amp is being compared to it I don't quite understand.
If the mini wasn't trying to emulate the original recto why would it be called the mini "recto", have same look and mesa itself said it has the iconic recto tone, meaning emulating tone of the dual rectifier. Tien from Mesa said himself - "its a truly accurate mini version of the dual rectifier". Im comparing tone VS $. Not new vs used.
elvis said:
Seems like you see the MR as a poor substitute for a DR. If so, buy the DR.

The MR has small size, reasonable volume (no need to shake the house off the foundation just to get it heated up) and tones that the DR can't really do.

It's really an apples-to-pomegranites comparison.
The mini in a sense is the poor mans dual recto. Mesa created this as a entry level price to that recto tone everyone is familiar with. This is for those people who are looking for recto tone without paying 2 grand. And my point was that if its the recto tone someone is after they can score a used original dual rec at about the same price sometimes in mint condition. I do understand those who buy it for the lesser power but still a recto tone for home playing.

domct203 said:
The MR is a Recto. Just like the RK, Roadster, TOV, ROV etc. It is not emulating anything, it is what it is, and that is a Rectifier.

Dom
So wouldn't that mean all the iterations of the Rectifier would stem from the predecessors?

guitarslayer said:
And my point was that if its the recto tone someone is after they can score a used original dual rec at about the same price sometimes in mint condition.

And you were using the used amp price as a justification to state that a brand new Mini is overpriced.

guitarslayer said:
domct203 said:
The MR is a Recto. Just like the RK, Roadster, TOV, ROV etc. It is not emulating anything, it is what it is, and that is a Rectifier.

Dom
So wouldn't that mean all the iterations of the Rectifier would stem from the predecessors?

Are all of the iterations of the Rectifier trying to be something that they're not?

screamingdaisy said:
guitarslayer said:
And my point was that if its the recto tone someone is after they can score a used original dual rec at about the same price sometimes in mint condition.

And you were using the used amp price as a justification to state that a brand new Mini is overpriced.
Am I not allowed to do so? I feel that if its dual recto tone your after and you are looking to spend about a $1000 the dual used seems to be a better choice than the mini...price wise. Im not comparing new to used, but tone for $. Sorry If my original post made it seem the opposite, should have been more clear.

screamingdaisy said:
guitarslayer said:
domct203 said:

Dom

Are all of the iterations of the Rectifier trying to be something that they're not?
No, they are an evolution of the tone of the prior rectifiers before it. Its obvious that the mini is an evolution of the dual recto tone in a mini form factor. The mini is compared directly to the 3 channel dual on the mesa website and in the demo video.

domct203 said:
guitarslayer said:
domct203 said:

Dom
Well played Captian Obvious. :wink:

Dom
I'm not here to argue or have a pissing match...I was just making some conversation on a thought I had about tone and price of the the 2 ....the news/used thing seems to be making some angry for some strange reason. I regret even posting it at this point. Thanks for everyones input.

You're not the first person that's tried this comparison. The only thing it proves is that a used amp is cheaper (and thus a better value) than a new amp... which is as it should be.

It all depends what someone is looking for. Yes if you need a 100w head, a Dual rec for $1000 used would be a smarter purchase than a brand new min rec. But for someone like myself that appreciates the benefits of buying a new amp, such as warranty and knowing the amp should be in perfect working order (not taking some ebayer's word for it when buying used) is worth the sticker price. Plus, for someone like myself playing solely in my basement - 50w is too much power, heck 25w is too.

I remember reading or someone saying in a youtube video that the Mini uses the "exact" preamp as the 2010 Rectifier Reborn. The difference comes in the power amp EL84 vs 6L6/EL34s and features areas obviously.

I can see guitarslayer's point. I'm in the market for a backup amp and I've gone back and forth on whether my $1,000 is better spend on a used DR vs a new MR with a 5 year warranty. It all just depends what you're looking to get out of $1,000. I don't think I'll ever make up my mind. I'll just get compulsive one day and buy one or the other.

knotts said:
I can see guitarslayer's point. I'm in the market for a backup amp and I've gone back and forth on whether my $1,000 is better spend on a used DR vs a new MR with a 5 year warranty........
Agreed, but IMHO if all you do is play in your music room at home you would be wasting your money on a 100W Recto, regardless of price.

With the clips I've heard, the MR is a Recto without doubt. No emulating, it is the real deal.

Dom

guitarslayer said:
The mini in a sense is the poor mans dual recto. Mesa created this as a entry level price to that recto tone everyone is familiar with. This is for those people who are looking for recto tone without paying 2 grand. And my point was that if its the recto tone someone is after they can score a used original dual rec at about the same price sometimes in mint condition. I do understand those who buy it for the lesser power but still a recto tone for home playing.

I disagree. I would think the Single Rec is more of an "entry level" rectifier. It can be had for around $600 used.

The way I see the rec family, you have the DR, at 100W. For many, that is too much power. The SR is a half-dual, if you will. Then the MR is a quarter-dual. No emulation, just a lower power output stage. The front-end is the same, if we are to believe the press releases.

guitarslayer said:
If you have a loud drummer, no monitors and/or individual monitor mix on stage and you rely of your stage volume to hear yourself, and you are playing large venues, then yes, the 100W head is for you.
I have both a 100w trem o verb and the mini. I doubt I will ever have the need to carry the 100w head and 4x12 to gigs again. To suggest that the mini is for home use only is 100% incorrect. The mini is pretty **** loud too. I can barely turn it up when I play it at home.

In another post here I talked about this very thing. I bought a 3 channel Dual Rec in 9 out of 10 condition for $750 as a back up for my Roadking live rig. The mini amps are helping bring the price down it seems... cool!

khingpynn said:
In another post here I talked about this very thing. I bought a 3 channel Dual Rec in 9 out of 10 condition for $750 as a back up for my Roadking live rig. The mini amps are helping bring the price down it seems... cool!

You want to sell your 3 channel dual rec for $751 and turn a profit?

Latest posts

Back