Mini 25 - 1st impressions

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thejay

Reaction score
Pulled the trigger one of these little guys and wow! Color me super impressed! Little review after some time with it, maybe a couple of hours.

The amp is extremely versatile and covers a ton of ground across 2 channels and 4 modes total. Surprised there is not a 16 ohm input for a cab but there is a 4 and 8. I am also impressed by the amount of very good example settings mesa provided with this amp. Never been impressed in the past with their suggestions.

The channel 1 clean tone can coax your standard mesa clean and a great punk rock dirt sound. Though I must admit I love the pushed mode on channel 1, fell in love with this mode on my rectoverb combo (the 50w version). Great pushed gain with little overdrive to very good crunch tones. This mode leads into channel 2 vintage, which to me has always been mesa's attempt at marshall, especially pushing EL34s in the power section. Channel deliveres and is every bit as good and useful as it's big brothers. The finally mode channel 2, modern. I love this mode, I don't care what mesa amp it's on :D totally brutal if you want. I spend a ton of time using this mode for dirt leads and heavier riffs in the past.

Getting into the 10 vs 25 w selections is really quite interesting. I also noticed you don't have the mesa jump in power from around 9 o'clock to 10 etc. my larger mesas, the sound immediately jumps in volume. I did not experience this with the mini. Which below 8 o'clock sounds really good pushing gain on either wattage selection, the sound opens up as you turn the volume, little fuller, little more of everything really but still very useful to record at very low volume if needed for an idea etc or just to jam and not disturb anyone. To me, 10w sounds just as good as 25w just different , more power and super loud! This amp can hang no worries.

I am playing through a 3/4 back mesa 1x12 with a black shadow and a v30 loaded mesa 4x12. Sounds great on either cab, I didn't try it on orange 1x12 though...

Might be a small package but sounds every bit as huge as the larger amps.

Yep, I'm loving my Mini too, I was running an MXR10 band in the loop but recently took it out and honestly think it sounds better without it! After a/b'ing it with the eq in then out it sounds like 'bumble bees in a can' with the eq on, without it it sounds thicker, fuller, fatter. I am running a Maxon od808 out front as a clean boost (I'm all about metal tones) just love that uber tight low end with the boost! Rock n roll bro :mrgreen:

thejay said:
Pulled the trigger one of these little guys and wow! Color me super impressed! Little review after some time with it, maybe a couple of hours.

The amp is extremely versatile and covers a ton of ground across 2 channels and 4 modes total. Surprised there is not a 16 ohm input for a cab but there is a 4 and 8. I am also impressed by the amount of very good example settings mesa provided with this amp. Never been impressed in the past with their suggestions.

The channel 1 clean tone can coax your standard mesa clean and a great punk rock dirt sound. Though I must admit I love the pushed mode on channel 1, fell in love with this mode on my rectoverb combo (the 50w version). Great pushed gain with little overdrive to very good crunch tones. This mode leads into channel 2 vintage, which to me has always been mesa's attempt at marshall, especially pushing EL34s in the power section. Channel deliveres and is every bit as good and useful as it's big brothers. The finally mode channel 2, modern. I love this mode, I don't care what mesa amp it's on :D totally brutal if you want. I spend a ton of time using this mode for dirt leads and heavier riffs in the past.

Getting into the 10 vs 25 w selections is really quite interesting. I also noticed you don't have the mesa jump in power from around 9 o'clock to 10 etc. my larger mesas, the sound immediately jumps in volume. I did not experience this with the mini. Which below 8 o'clock sounds really good pushing gain on either wattage selection, the sound opens up as you turn the volume, little fuller, little more of everything really but still very useful to record at very low volume if needed for an idea etc or just to jam and not disturb anyone. To me, 10w sounds just as good as 25w just different , more power and super loud! This amp can hang no worries.

I am playing through a 3/4 back mesa 1x12 with a black shadow and a v30 loaded mesa 4x12. Sounds great on either cab, I didn't try it on orange 1x12 though...

Might be a small package but sounds every bit as huge as the larger amps.
Congrats! Pretty much my impressions with my Mini Rec although I'm not a high gain player at all. I play a lot of jazz and jazz-ish type stuff, and the Mini just delivers. Two years in now, and I'm still in the honeymoon phase.

I always make this suggestion to new Mini Rec owners: If you like "Pushed" try diming the gain and master (then back the master off *slightly* from full on) on "Clean" (I find 10W clips "nicer"). It's a really HUGE, "open" OD sound that gives a lot of note clarity and separation with sustain for days, great attack sensitivity, and it cleans-up nicely rolling back the guitar volume. I like that better than pushed which gets a bit too compressed for my tastes. See how you like it.

Back