Mesa vs Digital Simulation

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grindjazz

Reaction score
Is there anything put out by Mesa that will give me better tone then going through amp simulation software or a Pod? I have Apogee Ensemble as my audio interface (use Logic 8 ), and I'm really in need of something that sounds real and is real Mesa tone-instead of the digital toys sounds that flood the market today. Any suggestions?

use the slaveout of your roadster for direct recording. open a roomsimulater (e.g. waves IR-1) load a impulsefile of a cabinet.
you can download the demo file from http://www.recabi.net the demo is great. the 4x12 ghandi is a mesa recto cabinet, miced with different mics in different positions.

i record my studio preamp from the send out and add one of this impulses afterwards.
take a look at the recroding forum, there is a thread about using IRs.

nothing is more realistic - only real micing.

Hmmm...howbout anything put out by Mesa? Any Mesa product should sound better than a POD or software. Try an SM57 in front of your cabinets powered by your Roadster. That'll be real Boogie tone.

-dave

Thanks for repy. I need something to when it's really late at night and the micing is not option (I use a Audix I-5 and AT4047SV when I need to mic.) I have lot's of close by neighbors. Does Rectifier recording pre offer any good sound comparable to Pod?

joe web said:
use the slave out of your roadster for direct recording.
I agree, since the slave out signal is taken from the output transformer all that's needed is a speaker simulator to complete the chain.

I use a dummy load ans speaker simulator

the one I have is called the "transducer" by SPL

its an analog unit its got the load and the cab simulation in th same box, and to me sounds great. just like any recorded mesa boogie Ive heard.

you could also try the dummy load to get your roadster to line level and then use a cab sim in one of your modeling softwares, turn off all the amp models and just run the line level signal from the roadster into the cab and mic models. That way you can capture the characteristics of the power amp as well as the preamp

coppa said:
you could also try the dummy load to get your roadster to line level and then use a cab sim in one of your modeling softwares, turn off all the amp models and just run the line level signal from the roadster into the cab and mic models. That way you can capture the characteristics of the power amp as well as the preamp
Simply using the Slave out on the Roadster accomplishes that task since it takes it's signal from the output transformer and reduces it to variable line level, so all that's needed is a speaker simulator.

You still need a dummy load on the speaker jacks. The slave outs do not replicate the load of the speakers.

guitar > efx > roadster speaker out to palmer PDI-09 > thru to dummyload & xlr out to mixing console/computer

I tried this with a cheap behringer and wasn't as impressed as the palmer

I can't believe nobody mentioned the most obvious choice... and in the rack forum, too!

The Mesa/Boogie Rectifier Recording Preamp is a rack mounted recto preamp with cabinet simulated output that sounds VERY good. It was designed for direct recording.

Scott

scottkahn said:
I can't believe nobody mentioned the most obvious choice... and in the rack forum, too!

The Mesa/Boogie Rectifier Recording Preamp is a rack mounted recto preamp with cabinet simulated output that sounds VERY good. It was designed for direct recording.

Scott

I have a rack with the Recto Recording Preamp. When I want to record, I just the record out jack, and make the appropriate settings on the preamp. The record outs from the Recto Pre go into an ADA Microcab II, and the outs from the microcab go into the inputs on my RME Fireface 800. Great Mesa tone. If I don't want to wake anybody, I use the phones jack on the RME rather than the studio monitors to hear myself. You can get a Microcab on ebay. Mine is in mint condition, and I paid $200.00 for it.

Back