Mesa Tubes

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tle4

Reaction score
Do I have to use Mesa Tubes when I decide to retube my Lonestar? Will it be ok to pop in other brands with no problems? I have read using other tubes will most likely be very cold on the bias. If this is the case, is there anyone that sells other brand tubes tested and rated to work good in a Mesa?

Yeah there are some places. Check it out.
https://ssl.eurotubes.com/cart/index.php?page=view_products&category_id=6&sub_category_id=139

tle4 said:
Do I have to use Mesa Tubes when I decide to retube my Lonestar? Will it be ok to pop in other brands with no problems? I have read using other tubes will most likely be very cold on the bias. If this is the case, is there anyone that sells other brand tubes tested and rated to work good in a Mesa?

And another thing, if the amp is still under warranty and you change tube manufacturers and something happens to the amp, the warranty is voided. I love my Mesa amp, but that just annoys me to no end. It's cheap and low as far as I'm concerned. Is there another amp manufacturer out there that employs that kind of warranty policy? Not that I am aware of.

Thanks for the link!

Eurotubes' "Mesa Lone Star 6L6GC Gold Pin Oprion (Option)" sure sounds like what I'm looking for: JJ 6L6GC's for power, a JJ 5U4 rectifier, along with two Gold pin ECC83S's for V1 and V2, two standard ECC83S for V3 and V4 along with a balanced Gold pin ECC83S for the phase inverter in V5

Anybody try it? Smoother, richer tone?

Oh yeah, I didn't go with all the gold and glitter, but switching to all JJ's made my LSC smoother, clearer, crisper, less mud, and more defined. The OD ch sounded much better also. BTW, a buddy of mine did the GZ34 rectifier tube and it was very close to the SS Diode mode. Very punchy. But for old school sag, go with the 5U4GB

Thanks plan-x. I was considering Mullard 12AX7s from Voodoo ("warm on the top end and lush in the mids with excellent lows. Works well in classic Fender, Marshall & Mesa amps"). Any idea if that would be darker/smoother than the JJ Gold pin ECC83S's? I'm trying to remove some upper mid harshness but thinking a new speaker or EL34s is too radical. I'm mostly in the roots clean-ish to blues overdrive tonal ballpark.

Spammer dug up a dead thread...

Jared Purdy said:
And another thing, if the amp is still under warranty and you change tube manufacturers and something happens to the amp, the warranty is voided. I love my Mesa amp, but that just annoys me to no end. It's cheap and low as far as I'm concerned. Is there another amp manufacturer out there that employs that kind of warranty policy? Not that I am aware of.

Isn't using non-Mesa tubes going against what the amp was technically designed for? I do empathize with you about it being an odd policy but if they designed it specifically to use tubes that their systems deem "The Best Tubes" and you go and use something different, why should their warranty cover your choice to disregard their design?

big_red said:

Jared Purdy said:

Isn't using non-Mesa tubes going against what the amp was technically designed for? I do empathize with you about it being an odd policy but if they designed it specifically to use tubes that their systems deem "The Best Tubes" and you go and use something different, why should their warranty cover your choice to disregard their design?

Good question. Call them up and ask. I was never given a satisfactory answer.

Ultramog said:
Thanks plan-x. I was considering Mullard 12AX7s from Voodoo ("warm on the top end and lush in the mids with excellent lows. Works well in classic Fender, Marshall & Mesa amps"). Any idea if that would be darker/smoother than the JJ Gold pin ECC83S's? I'm trying to remove some upper mid harshness but thinking a new speaker or EL34s is too radical. I'm mostly in the roots clean-ish to blues overdrive tonal ballpark.

Try the EL34 option. It's relatively inexpensive and reversable

I have the same issues with 6L6 tubes in any amp I buy, as my tonal preference is based on a softer mid focus. I lose nothing that redialing the EQ cannot fix in definition, highs or bottom end (tighter thankfully), but get rid of the spiky highs I don't like in 6L6's

Good luck

I got the Standard JJ 6L6 retube kit from Eurotubes for XMas. I got to put them in late last night. The Mesa Tubes read 27ma @ 476v on the outside pair and 20ma @476v on the inside. I popped in the JJ's and they where 30ma and 32ma in the 470's volatage. I only got to play at very low volume but everything sounded good so far. I cant wait to crank it up some but I have to wait till the house is empty.

big_red said:

Jared Purdy said:

I love Mesa amps, but I'm not quite sure why they specify the use of their branded tubes, unless it is for future tube sales. I have retubed the Mesa amps I've owned and also had bias pots installed. IMO these changes definitely improved the tone. My amps weren't biased to the proper levels initially. I have been there whenever my tech rebiased them. The point of bias is to make sure the current is within an acceptible range as to not harm the tubes or amp. As long as it is in a safe range there should be no issues. Some amps ound better slightly cold, where others sound sound better slightly warm. You can use your ears as the amp is being biased abd determine what sounds best to you.

Yes, I took a chance had there been a problem, but Boogie amps are built like tanks. Just changing tube brands should not cause an issue if there isn't an issue already. Possibly if you have a defective tube, but this still shouldn't cause a problem with the amp. Buy tubes from reputable tube dealers and not from e***. These dealers check ther stock carefully for defects. I haven't had any problaems after making these changes btw, with any brand of amp I've owned..

When I decided to get another LSS, I was praying that I was not going to experience the same issue with the rectifier and fuses blowing after only hours or days of playing. My prayers went unanswered. So I went to the store where the amp was purchased, as they are also a Mesa authorized repair facility. The techs told me that they thought it was odd that I had blown so many rectifier tubes in my previous LSS, and that it was eqaully as odd that it was happening in the one that I have now. They looked at the Mesa branded rectifier for that amp and told me that it was a cheap, Chinese made tube, and that I should just stick with a Sovtek, and that if there are any issues with the amp they will cover the warranty. That's what's in there now, and that is what I am sticking with. Eventually I am going to be trying something else like Tung Sol's or JJ's. ANyone ever try either of those in a LSS?

I finally got some time to do the Reeder pot swap mod with all new jj tubes installed. I took the amp to band practice with my Les Paul and a Telecaster. I could get great tones easy in both channels with the tele but had problems before with humbuckers. I brought the tele just in case. The tele didnt even make it out of the case. Channel 2 sounds great now. I just set the channel and didnt have to fiddle with the eq all night. I was a bit skeptical that just switching the pots would change the tone that much but it seems to have taken all of the mud out of the amp. I am really happy with this amp now

I have tried a bunch of different 6L6s in my LSC. I did the adjustable bias mod and they all sound substantially better. I run it up to 70% and the amp comes alive. Try it out ....you can always reverse it. There is plenty of detail and experience on this forum.

I have tried a bunch of different 6L6s in my LSC. I did the adjustable bias mod and they all sound substantially better. I run it up to 70% and the amp comes alive. Try it out ....you can always reverse it. There is plenty of detail and experience on this forum.

I am not ready to do any bias mods yet till my warranty runs out

tle4 said:
I finally got some time to do the Reeder pot swap mod with all new jj tubes installed. I took the amp to band practice with my Les Paul and a Telecaster. I could get great tones easy in both channels with the tele but had problems before with humbuckers. I brought the tele just in case. The tele didnt even make it out of the case. Channel 2 sounds great now. I just set the channel and didnt have to fiddle with the eq all night. I was a bit skeptical that just switching the pots would change the tone that much but it seems to have taken all of the mud out of the amp. I am really happy with this amp now
It really is impressive that such a simple thing can be so welcomed....a clear dirt channel. Congrats. I never get tired of hearing someone do this. That's why I throw it out there.

Plan-X... I love the amp now. Channel 2 puddle up where channel 1 left off. Channel 2 sounds more like a cranked fender amp now and it is actually hard to get bad tones from the second channel now. I would recommend the mod to anyone that is not happy with the gain channel

Latest posts

Back