Mesa Triple Rectifier - Henric Hermansson Modded

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JCDenton6

Reaction score
Saw this posted on Rig Talk and thought I'd share it here:

:shock: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtpmMo-ia8U :shock:

I never heard a 3 channel sound so sick!

Would love to know what he did to get it so tight and clear and gainy. Mine will not sound like that without a tube screamer, its just a muddy mess.

Sent him a comment about his mods, he was not open to discussion. All he said was "you need to remove bass before the distortion."

In that case I reckon he played with the values of the bass caps in the tone stacks of channels 2 and 3.
I'm more sure he changed the cap values around V1, the filtering circuits most likely.

to each his own, doesn't really sound like a recto to me anymore. or he is using 5" speakers. if you need that kind of tightness i`m sure there are better suited amplifiers.

I am just trying to achieve boosted recto tone.....without actually needing a boost pedal of any kind. To me, a boosted Rectifier is the best sounding tone in the world and I'm not interested in trying out a million amps to get a "boosted rectifier" sound when I already have it. I'm just trying to simplify it.

lailer75 said:
to each his own, doesn't really sound like a recto to me anymore. or he is using 5" speakers. if you need that kind of tightness i`m sure there are better suited amplifiers.

Yup, this.

Doesn't sound like a recto to me either. I mean mods are cool for a 'personal' tone but you risk altering what drew you to the amp in the first place. But ya, it is definitely annoying doing the tapdance. I have enough trouble with my Electra Dyne's two buttons for three modes. Between the modes, the pickup selector on my guitar, and a push pull knob for coil tapping, I've got my hands full!

What he's talking about is limiting the bass early in the gain stages. There are five gain stages and the tone stacks are at the end, so the bass is already being pushed into distortion and "muddying" the tone. To tame the bass in the early stages, you need to drop the Cathode bypass caps, (from 1uf to .68uf or .47uf) and/or drop the coupling caps, from .02uf to .002uf, .0047uf, or .01uf).

If you only introduce the low end at the last couple of stages, it sounds like you are running your low signal through a clean channel, and the mids and highs through the distorted channel. It gives the effect of smoothing out the signal, making it sound tighter.

But it DEFINITELY changes the character of the amp, making it not really a Recto anymore. Randall designed it to be bass heavy and a bit scooped, and with that bass being distorted so early, chugga chugga's sound quite a bit bigger than other amps that may have a prettier sine wave.

That doesn't sound like a recto anymore in my opinion. I owned a '95 Dual Rec for 2 years and loved the tone but ended up getting rid of it due to the size and inability to get the volume past 9 O'clock at home. I absolutely loved the chunky, thick but harmonically rich tone. It's the reason I only buy Mesa, no other amps I have tried had the same rich harmonics. Play an octave and it sounds like you are doubling it because its so rich. That video just sounded thin and weak as piss. It did sound tight, but I can just use a Maxon 808 and back off the gain on a Dual Rec and BINGO!

Latest posts

Back