Mesa Studio Pre

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the other guitarist in my band is useing one with a mesa stragey 400 power amp. It holds up quite freaking well with the mark the only thing i keep hearing from his is "F*ck i wish i have all the diffrent modes you have"

i have the Quad preamp (i'm selling it atm). i tried it next to studio once and despite all the hype and myth they sound VERY MUCH alike.

I used to run it through 50/50 poweramp. the sound is close but not quite there. i cant say which sounds better, but mark V has more sounds. :) but none is quite like the quad. im yet to try running Mark V from EFX out to 50/50 because i suspect the poweramp to contribute alot to the sound.

the Mark V has by default more presence and the top end starts to sound harsh compared to Quad, but i blame that on the tubes, dunno bout you but i prefer JJ's over M/B tubes. i had some chinese M/B tubes in the Quad and the sound became much better when changing to JJ's.
But perhaps Mark V as a more modern amp and next to Quad with alot of play hours is just more burned in... sounds fizzier to me. but you can dial the fizz out with some fiddling.

My Mark V still holds the original tubes... didnt have the time to swap them yet.

its really not comparable because if you dont have a poweramp in the simul:295/395 league with all the different voicings the poweramp holds the preamp back. the Poweramp has A HUGE impact on Mark V's feel and tone.. and you just cant achieve that with a straight dual block amp solely with presence control (that stays the same for all channels as opposed to mark V where is footswitchable).

i love my MKV... i just cant wait for it to get the "vintage vibe" i was used to :lol:

Latest posts

Back