Mesa Stiletto Series Discontinued

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BlairRich said:
I'm welding mine to my leg then. This is the most versitile amp I've ever owned.
True shame people dont know a working bands amp. Modeling amps came about because people wanted to sound like the album. Truth is the sound recorded DID'NT sound like the album (Until the prossessing was done) and this amp has the true raw overdrive most classics and metal songs had in the studio before processing.
Figures.... Mayans were right ....2012. :(

I wouldn't blame digital amps for the Stiletto's demise IMO. It's more to do with the fact that many people complain that it's too bright and harsh. That can be easily solved if you turn down the master volume, and bring the volume back up with the output control to help fatten things up. If that still doesn't work, I'll share something with these guys. Many of the famous classic Marshall are inherently bright as well. It really depends on how you use the Stiletto...

Also, I think Marshall fans in general are just going to stick to buying Marshalls than to purchase a Stiletto. Furthermore, it seems like most Mesa fans would prefer the Mark or Rectifier series amps. It's partially because of that that there seems to be less people buying Stilettos...

BlairRich said:
This is the most versitile amp I've ever owned.
True shame people dont know a working bands amp.

I couldn't be happier with 2 channels. If I had purchased a Mark V instead, I would be switching between channels 1 and 3 only, while the reverb and parametric EQ would be disengaged. But I still want one!

Man, this bums me out, since I really dig my amp. No one posts enough videos/clips of them, either, so here's one of mine:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5scVFe2V9c0

We fought for several years as a two Recto band, stepping on each other on different nights, until I borrowed a Stiletto from a buddy. It is amazing how well the two amps mix together. The aggressive, upper mid buzzsaw just slices down the middle of the huge Recto bottom and top brilliance. I use it with C90s in a bottom cab, and it really beefs up the low end and tames the top. I absolutely love it for the kind of thrash Maiden style that we do, and obviously it sounds great with the classics. :D

I don't think enough people appreciated how it was the perfect complimentary amp in a two guitar band. It can go with Rectos, Marks, 5150s, and those VHTs with the KT88s. I figured everyone would have wanted a take of Randall Smith hot-rodding a Marshall. :?

BlairRich said:
True shame people dont know a working bands amp. Modeling amps came about because people wanted to sound like the album. Truth is the sound recorded DID'NT sound like the album (Until the prossessing was done) and this amp has the true raw overdrive most classics and metal songs had in the studio before processing.

Spoken like a man who is in some kickass bar cover band.

exbest182 said:
John at Mesa Hollywood confirmed Feb. 1 at the discontinue date.

I was talking to him about selling mine at the Mesa Hollywood store, and he told me they were going the way of the buffalo.

Snapped the last new Ace head from Mesa Hollywood (they still got another demo unit for sale)... I actually wanted one in Emerald/Bronco finish but I'm pretty happy with the black one. Plugged in a 2x12 recto cab. Good stuff!!!

I FINALLY picked up a cab. Now that I'm playing in a band again, it was a necessity to finally get a new cab. Most of the music stores around here are seriously lacking in anything but Line6, cheap Peavey, Raven, and Marshall MG cabs. With some luck, I was able to find a Guitar Center that had a few Mesa's in stock and picked up a Mesa 4x12. It sounds so sick! The Stiletto sounds phenomenal through it and cuts so well!

noodles said:
BlairRich said:

Spoken like a man who is in some kickass bar cover band.

That is very true. I had a Line 6 prior to the Stiletto, and when I bought it I thought it sounded great - Playing at home the guitar sounded just like an album, but that is not the way the guitar is supposed to sound in the band mix. That amp caused me nothing but stress because I was so burried in the mix, and when I did cut well, it sounded thin. The Stiletto sits right in that sonic pocket...

The only thing that surprises me is that Mesa didn't discontinue it sooner. It's been a really unpopular amp since it's debut. It never really caught on and used prices have generally been poor.

That said, I don't quite understand why it stayed so unpopular. I always thought that it was because a lot of people thought it would be a high gain Marshall flavoured Recto which turned out to be more along the lines of a JCM800... but after getting one (an Ace) I have to say that it can easily hold it's own against a Recto in terms of gain and the midrange voice carries an aggression that the Recto doesn't have. It has the rawest, most in your face tone of any Mesa I've played/owned, and is perfect for punk or any other form of balls out rock.

I just don't get it. The Ace is supposed to be brighter than the Deuce/Trident and was really hesitant about getting it, but all that was required was to turn down the treble/presence like most people do on their Marshalls. I can see how "all knobs on 12:00" Recto guys could have a hard time, but the thing dials in the same way most people dial in a JCM800.

Either way, once I saw the positive response the ED was getting I figured the Stiletto's days were numbered... particularly after they followed up with the Royal-Atlantic.

I owned both the Stiletto Decuse II and new RA and I can say that (for my tastes) the Stiletto had the better lead tone. That said, I now own a MKV that has an amazing crunch channel. This is the sound I wanted the RA to do, but it couldn't.

abe said:
That is very true. I had a Line 6 prior to the Stiletto, and when I bought it I thought it sounded great - Playing at home the guitar sounded just like an album, but that is not the way the guitar is supposed to sound in the band mix. That amp caused me nothing but stress because I was so burried in the mix, and when I did cut well, it sounded thin. The Stiletto sits right in that sonic pocket...

Exactly the reason I ditched my Line6. :D

I'm in a modern original metal band, and a classic metal cover band, as well as having played in several Top 40 cover bands. I've found that a couple of really good sounds are better than a bunch of passable ones in a box. I, too, quickly found out that all those "sounds just like" patches got you buried by your rhythm section.

I was very disappointed when I found out that the Mesa Stiletto line was discontinued. I have a Duece Stage II and an Ace 2x12 combo and they are hands down the very best amps I have ever owned and I have been playing for over 22 years. The Rectifers don't work for my tone. I tried out a Royal Atlantic 100 for about 2 hours at a local dealer thinking maybe it could be the next great EL34-based Mesa tone, but I was not impressed and when I returned to my Stiletto Duece Stage II rig an hour later, I immediately plugged in and realized that I do NOT like the Royal Atlantic at all compared to the Stiletto. And for those who say it's too bright, I don't know what you're talking about. My Stiletto's are not very bright at all, even with the treble knob at 3 o'clock. My Stilettos have a very balanced tone. I can get ecceptional cleans, killer bluesy tones and full-on, articulate, tight, punchy but smooth heavy metal sounds from these amps.

stiletto4life said:
I was very disappointed when I found out that the Mesa Stiletto line was discontinued. I have a Duece Stage II and an Ace 2x12 combo and they are hands down the very best amps I have ever owned and I have been playing for over 22 years. The Rectifers don't work for my tone. I tried out a Royal Atlantic 100 for about 2 hours at a local dealer thinking maybe it could be the next great EL34-based Mesa tone, but I was not impressed and when I returned to my Stiletto Duece Stage II rig an hour later, I immediately plugged in and realized that I do NOT like the Royal Atlantic at all compared to the Stiletto. And for those who say it's too bright, I don't know what you're talking about. My Stiletto's are not very bright at all, even with the treble knob at 3 o'clock. My Stilettos have a very balanced tone. I can get ecceptional cleans, killer bluesy tones and full-on, articulate, tight, punchy but smooth heavy metal sounds from these amps.

Upper register hearing loss is the only way to explain a Stiletto (especially the Ace) not sounding too bright :shock:

Good stuff will be good stuff - the Ace 2x12 is a killer amp. I am not scared or disappointed MESA discontinued. There are many out there for second hand buy if you like to get that exceptional tone. They will surely last for many many years and will raise in price!

but its simple as it is, just one isn`t enough

http://joergpetersen.bandcamp.com/track/blockhead

http://joergpetersen.bandcamp.com/track/zero-shaded

Just makes me appreciate my Stage I that much more. Traded Guitar Center even for a Reinhold Bogner modded Uberschall Prototype for George Lynch and couldn't be happier.

FYI, the Stiletto was modeled after a vintage Marshall Plexi, which is a thin sounding amp as well. DUH! That's what the treble knob is for!

Can't see the RA100 replacing the Stiletto (too Voxxy). Personally I think too many people expected the Stiletto to sound like a Dual Rectifier as well since it was a Mesa Boogie.

Are there any parts in the Stiletto that would render it unrepairable down the road should something need replacing or repairing? Just because it's no longer in production doesn't mean unserviceable does it? As long as I can hold on to mine and keep it running I'll be happy.

Just wanted to be sure there weren't and funky proprietary compoents Stiletto-specific. Thanks.

screamingdaisy said:
There's nothing all that complicated in any amplifier that doesn't rely on a computer.

Just ebayed a second Stiletto Deuce 1 on the super cheap. That makes (2) Deuces and (1) Ace head in the arsenal. I love these amps and will continue to keep an eye out for ones for sale. That and Electrodynes as they start to show up used. I dial channel 1 in like a crunchy Plexi, and channel 2 in just slightly gnarlier. The touch sensitivity on these things is awesome, I get cleans on channel 1 by just playing softer. Mixed feelings about them being discontinued, but glad Mesa is keeping going with the British theme, ie: the Electrodyne and Royal Atlantics....In the meantime, can't wait for Deuce number 2 to arrive!

Latest posts

Back