Mesa Nomad 55 combo tube change?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sfandrick

Reaction score
I finally bought a quality all tube Mesa Nomad 55. I bought it used and found out when I got it home the 6L6 tubes are Ruby's and not Mesa tubes. I ordered Mesa 6L6 440's for it and was wondering if I should expect any change in tone in going back to the Mesa tubes? I like the tone I get out of it now and if the Mesa tubed make it sound better ,great. If there is no change in tone from the Ruby tubes well then I have a spare set of tubes.

So far I have been 100% happy with this amp. The cleans are good as Fender cleans and with my Marsha/Boogie modded Metal Zone I can get any distortion I need for Metal to death metal just on the clean channel alone.

Another question....Does anyone know what years the Mesa Nomad 55 was produced?

Thank You :shock: :p :arrow: :mrgreen:

You probably will not notice too much difference with the change of output tubes. Most of the tone comes from the preamp section as Mesa runs their output section very clean and cold. Now, if the Ruby's where on their last leg or were extreamly cold to begin with and not anywhere close to Mesa's spec on the cold side, then you will notice a difference.

I think Mesa only made Nomads for about five years from the late 90's to the early 00's. They are kind of dark horse amps on these forums. I'm happy with mine and that's all that matters.

- Pat.

Thanks for the info.. When my Mesa tubes arrive I will install them and see if there is any difference in tone. :twisted:

Mesa tubes arrived today... I am working 12 hour shifts the next 4 days so my first day off I will install the Mesa 6L6 440's and post the results of any tone change. :D :wink: :mrgreen: 8)

Installed Mesa tubes and only notice a slight difference, but does sound a little better than with with Ruby tubes.

Do a search for the nomad and tube swaps. There is a fair amount of info. In short I use el34's in mine and my own combo of preamp tubes. It does make a difference.

Back