Mesa MKIII Coliseum w/d/w rig

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zachman

Reaction score
http://www.netmusicians.org/files/14-whitesnake_Mark_III.mp3

http://www.netmusicians.org/files/92-01 Zach movie weirdness legato.mp3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNYkCtikoqY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zGmkYZ-Vng

zachsboogie.jpg

boogieback.jpg

SeparateWaysloadin032resized.jpg

zpandhugo.jpg

danyeo1 said:
RAWK. That setup must sound massive in person.

Aloha Bruddah Dan,

Ya, it really does. I wish we could've gotten some drive time for you-- when you were here, but next time.

Zach

MesaGod666 said:
Amazing clips Zachman. Your rig, moreover your tone, is to be envied by all.

Thanks.... You'd be surprised how many guys give me grief over my rig, as though they had to carry it, transport it, program it or finance it.

Purists, and pedal only/analog only Pedal guys... I just laugh, when they whine about how it's just not for them-- and I confirm that it's just for me, so they don't really have to worry about it.

I've had guys with a mocking tone in their voice say, "You need all that to get good tone?" to which I respond, "No, but I need that stuff to get the tones that stuff gets, because pedals just don't do it".

When they get really obnoxious, I just remind them that I can get their tone/tones, but they can't get mine.

It's sad how many tools/douche bags there are out there. You'd think that guys who are into guitar, and effects would have a commonality which brings them closer together, but sadly jealousy and insecurity isolate many.

Awesome setup! I can imagine the time and devotion it took to get that together, but I bet it is paying off in spades now :D

ibanez4life SZ! said:
Awesome setup! I can imagine the time and devotion it took to get that together, but I bet it is paying off in spades now :D

Thanks... I have done a bunch of shows w/ the rig so far, and it has been great! The rig's paid for itself a while back.

sweet tones... if only we got more than 5-10 minutes to set up at our club dates I would go w/d/w. nothing like it.

kk said:
sweet tones... if only we got more than 5-10 minutes to set up at our club dates I would go w/d/w. nothing like it.

If you just had a 4-6 space rack w/ a power amp, tuner, Power conditioner, and ex a TC G-Major, or an Intellifex-- All you'd have to do for a w/d/w rig is go from your ex. Boogie MKIII combo fx loop send to the rack (1 cable), speaker cables to 1 or 2 1x12 cabs, and plug in your MIDI foot controller, and your AC power and you'd be up and running in 2-4 minutes MAX. ;)

Zachman... If I was going to go the w/d/w route, I would like to mic the dry cab then run to a mic pre > wet effects > stereo power amp > two cabs. A bit more gear than I can deal with with my small suv.

Then I would have to deal with getting either using a mixer on stage, or mic'ing up the wet and dry cabs for the sound guy.

Most the bars we play are fairly small and we usually get 10, 15 minutes tops to set up and breakdown... Add to the fact I live on a hill, on the 2nd floor in San Francisco, and the monster rig just doesn't work...

I love your tones though... when I play / practice / record at home, I can get unreal sweet tones just running guitar > cable > amp then running through pod for wet effects out to basic studio monitors. Really lush.

kk said:
Zachman... If I was going to go the w/d/w route, I would like to mic the dry cab then run to a mic pre > wet effects > stereo power amp > two cabs. A bit more gear than I can deal with with my small suv.

Then I would have to deal with getting either using a mixer on stage, or mic'ing up the wet and dry cabs for the sound guy.

Most the bars we play are fairly small and we usually get 10, 15 minutes tops to set up and breakdown... Add to the fact I live on a hill, on the 2nd floor in San Francisco, and the monster rig just doesn't work...

I love your tones though... when I play / practice / record at home, I can get unreal sweet tones just running guitar > cable > amp then running through pod for wet effects out to basic studio monitors. Really lush.

That is one way to do it, re: mic'ing the dry cab etc... It's also probably the most complicated way to do it, especially for someone with the logistical challenges you describe.

I've been doing this type of w/d/w rig (among others) for years (Since 1986), and have to say they don't have to be large and/or expensive or complicated to enjoy the benefits.

I agree, in a home studio-- running guitar > cable > amp then running through pod for wet effects out to basic studio monitors-- can get wonderful results. Live applications require other considerations though, like Real Time control over switching amp channels, pedals on/off, rack stuff on/off + preset changes, size of gear relative to the available stage space etc...

I guess I just wanted to put it out there-- that utilizing a w/d, w/d/w, or stereo rig doesn't have to be large, overly complicated and/or ultra expensive to enjoy the sonic benefits as well as being able to enjoy the automation of switching combinations of gear simultaneously with a single button press.

Hey Zachman, I remember you from the HC boards. They always gave you crap for your stuff; I always admired it... even asked you a few questions.

Glad you came over to this board. Killer sound and killer rig!

-PJ

pjrake said:
Hey Zachman, I remember you from the HC boards. They always gave you crap for your stuff; I always admired it... even asked you a few questions.

Glad you came over to this board. Killer sound and killer rig!

-PJ

Aloha PJ,

Thanks...

They got upset at hearing the truth. Oh well... That board has gone so far down hill, it's rather pathetic and sad-- but if they want to turn their neighborhood into a ghetto, that's their prerogative.

Zach

Latest posts

Back