mesa MK II C+ picture I promised

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

908ssp

Reaction score
Man these both sound so right. I obviously get more extreme high gain sounds from the Blond with the EQ but I really like the Santana tones I get from the Bubinga cab and Tone Tubbys as well.

DSCN1068%20copy.jpg

DSCN1073%20copy.jpg

DSCN1074%20copy.jpg

A pair of Tone Tubbys, very warm smooth speaker. One of my very favorite speakers. I was trying out a Fane Alnico blue 100 watt speaker tonight. Surprised me how close it sounded to the TTs. I want to try a Weber Silver Bell 50 watt Alnico if anyone has one to sell let me know.

Technically your correct the gain should be the same. What I was referring to was the perception of gain the extreme highs and lows that the added EQ gives you control of. I rarely use the EQ to be honest I prefer the warm compressed sustain that the amp has naturally.

how much gain does the Mark IIC+ have?

I'm going to sell my single recto, and im deciding which Mark model to buy.

I don't need as much gain as the recto offers. I usually keep it at about 1 o clock. I'd rather have everything note and picking come in crystal clear.

You can get a lot of gain but depending on your adjustments and tubes it can be very smooth and articulate or grainy. The MKIIC+ is a great sounding amp Metallica used them so you can get some pretty heavy tones or pure Santana. The cleans are better then a Twin.

908ssp said:
....I was trying out a Fane Alnico blue 100 watt speaker tonight. Surprised me how close it sounded to the TTs.
Gulp! :shock:
Aren't those Fane Alnico (especially 100 watts) are e$pensive $$$$$ :!:
I too like Fanes. Kinda hard to find though. Best price I found were at US Speakers.

Yea I got mine from US Speaker through eBay. They were selling a few 16 ohm speakers as they had too many in stock. I have played it a bunch since then and I really think this is a great speaker for the MKIIC+. It is a little brighter then a Tone Tubby (which costs just as much) so it does the high gain modern lead sound and still can do a good crunch. Not quite as smooth as the TT. I also run a 16 ohm load resistor knocking the total load down to 8 ohms. I remounted the blond MKIIC+ in the picture above into this purple heart hard wood cab. It is not a Mesa cab but an aftermarket custom cab I found on the eBay. It could be nicer I don't care for the clear coat I like oiled wood better.
tiltnwave_smiley.gif

_1010208%20copy.jpg

Cool, I think our ears are similar.

Yes, Tone Tubby are expensive too. I actually have a nearby shop that build there own enclosures and has some of the best prices comparable with Avatar and US Speakers. They carry Tone Tubbies, Celestion, Jensen but no Fanes or Eminence.

Anyway, I suspect the Tone Tubby sound a little rounder smoother and great for Carlos tone.

Funny, I have Fane Crescendos, they sound great with Mark IIs but too harsh for Trem-o-Verbs yet Fane Axions sounds great with Trem-o-Verb which I now prefer over the Vintage 30s.

Its that I'm a pack rat and saw a Fane Axion at a used shop for $50. Same with Celestion Vintage 30s, used for $55, $55, $50, Heritage $30 (the first reissues), Kendrick Green Frame $30.

Latest posts

Back