Mesa Mark V-------------Metal

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NorCal-Mesa

Reaction score
I like and play Metal and have some rectifiers, do I want a Mark V for Metal???????? And is the head with cab ALLOT better than the combo?

Thanks

I had a Roadster and a Mark V at the same time, and the best way that I can describe them is that the Mark V can come reasonably close to doing the Recto thing (but with a tighter bottom end and, if desired, a stronger midrange), but the Roadster couldn't touch the gain channel of the Mark V. So, in short, if you have the funds available to have both there wouldn't be a feeling of duplicity between the two.

Do you anything to give or do you need anything (pedal) to get good saturation on the mv ?

quote="SteveO"]I had a Roadster and a Mark V at the same time, and the best way that I can describe them is that the Mark V can come reasonably close to doing the Recto thing (but with a tighter bottom end and, if desired, a stronger midrange), but the Roadster couldn't touch the gain channel of the Mark V. So, in short, if you have the funds available to have both there wouldn't be a feeling of duplicity between the two.[/quote]

The Mark V has great high-gain saturation by itself, but if you kick it with a boost it takes it to a whole different place. I have seen videos of people that have gotten some REALLY heavy stuff out of the Mark V. Also, keep in mind that Metallica's earliest stuff was done with Mark series amps, so the series has that history and ability. It doesn't have that big, fat, loose bottom end that the Rectos do, but it has plenty of gain.

SteveO said:
The Mark V has great high-gain saturation by itself, but if you kick it with a boost it takes it to a whole different place. I have seen videos of people that have gotten some REALLY heavy stuff out of the Mark V.

Ditto! I also get some good results with the amp in Channel 3 Extreme mode pushed with a TC Nova Drive.

If you are lucky enough to afford both then go for it as the MkV will no quite get to Recto territory.
Also conversely the Mk V will take you to other places that the Recto won't!

Also alternatively dare I say it if you are looking for a 2nd amp for Rock tones I would consider Carvin & save yourself a bunch of cash!

If you are a rhythm guitarist and want great fat straight up chunky heavy rhythm tones then I'd go with a Recto. But if you are more technical player and play leads and wanna cut through the mix and shine a little more then get the Mark V. The V's gain is no where near as buzzy as a recto and that's what I didn't like about my Recto, no matter how much dialing the buzzy gain is hard to dial in smooth. The V's gain is super smooth. I never could get a good lead tone out of a Recto without pedals. And this dont mean the Mark V can't do huge monstrous rhythm tones either (just wanna say that before people start getting upset). And you will never get tired of all the different sounds you get from a V. Been 2 years since I've had my V and I'm still surprised at all the great versatile tones I can get. Also I don't need to use many pedals with the V, everything I need is in the amp. The Recto sounds great by itself but don't cut like a V, and the V sometimes dont sound as good when your playing alone but sounds super great in the mix of a live band.

In my experience the Mark V doesn't need a boost to get a tight, powerful saturation. I dig the Recto, but in the end I found myself trying to smooth out the gain like the Mark V, so the V was a better fit for me. So if smoother, tighter gain with great clarity = better for you, get the V. If chunky, super thick low end with edgy highs = better, go Rectifier. I find in two guitar situations they compliment each other very well, they round out the other's weaknesses and strengths.

NorCal,

I have been using the Mark V for metal for about 6 months. I wanted to get the same tone that lamb of god uses (Mark Morton = Idol) and I love using it. It has soooo many settings (seems like infinitely ways to make any sound for clean/classic/heavysolo)

Unless you're comparing it to another top dollar amp, get the Mark V. You won't regret it. :D

Check out some of the recordings on youtube to see if it is what you're after.

Cheers

I'm not a big fan of the Recto's, too loosy and fuzzy meanwhile the Mark's got a super tight bottom, super smooth sound and a lot cut through. As someone else said: the Recto's tend to give a "fuller sound" when played alone at home (the loosy bottom end can fill a room) while the Mark's tend to feel "dry" when played alone but really shines and sing in a band context. Both are very versatile (as per all the Boogies) but the Mark can do what a Recto do while a Recto really can't do what a Mark can (without pedals, eq's and so). Of course is a matter of taste, what do you like? What kind of sound? Did you ever played a Mark? As per all the amps (and instruments in general) you gotta play it a lot and trust your ears only.

Accept no substitute and buy the Mark, you'll get an assortment of Metal tones.

Latest posts

Back