Mesa Mark IV or III, live performance, myths

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wiorys

Reaction score
Hi guys

I think I'm going to buy mesa Mark IV or III.
I've heard that MK III (I can't afford MKIIc+) tone is better than Mark IV.

1. Is it really a big difference? Some ppl say Mark III is more aggresive. Is there anything else like more dimensional sound or something?

2. How does it (Mark IV) work on the scene? Does it cut through?

I know that Mesa IV was used on many recordings (studio), but I haven't seen any famous guitarist using it on live performances. Why? I'm very, very curious.
:idea:
I don't think its tweaking problem(the biggest disadvantage of mark iv?), many guitarist use one channel amps without problems.

I've heard that Mark IV can sound flat, 2-dimensional in live situations(?).

3. I've got Marshall 6100, it's very nice amp with good opinion, but it can't get me into metal territory without external pedal/eq. It excels at rock, hard rock, 3D open tones etc, but not heavy metal or Whitesnake, Dio tones.
I've tried some guitars and I think I need other amplifier or nice pedal.

I've sold my Single Rectifier too. If it comes to distortion, I liked only Vintage mode, but it was too "flubby/muddy". Anyway, I don't use much gain but I like nice saturated(but still dynamic) tone.
Modern has too much bite, bass sounded a bit unnatural imho, highs were too fizzy for me.
It was easy to play(rectifier), but I'm seeking something more demanding (responsive to my articulation, like some VHT amps).

And I like versatility :)
I think I'm just seeking something between marshall&recto.

1) Sorry for mistakes, I'm still learning English
2) I have wiped out whole Mesa IV users thread by deleting my post, dunno why, I'm really sorry, never seen anything like that

The best thing about the Mark III is the price, it is the maybe the best used amp you can buy for $800-$900 while there is a fair bit of competition around the $1300-$1400 you pay for a used Mark IV. And you can usually sell a Mark III fairly easily if you don't like it.

Mark III's are versatile for different types of music but they always do sound like Mark III's. You can use it for metal, blues, jazz, country, punk, reggae, but you can't really imitate other amps very well, the distortion is very "Boogie."

Mark III's are not really versatile for live. Realistically you will only get two good tones where the volumes match (that may be all you need though!)

The Mark III sound is very "live" and not compressed compared to a Mark IV or most other "modern" high-gain amps. It is a real player's amp. You can hear all your tricks, and all your mistakes!

WHOA!! Where did the official Mark IV thread go???

wiorys said:
I think I'm going to buy mesa Mark IV or III.
I've heard that MK III (I can't afford MKIIc+) tone is better than Mark IV.
1. Is it really a big difference? Some ppl say Mark III is more aggresive. Is there anything else like more dimensional sound or something?
None is better, it's all personal opinion, you should try both and hear for yourself. But you're right, tonewise the III is more open and aggressive sounding, while the IV is more compressed. It's more of a feel rather than tone thing ie. you notice this more when you play it instead of hearing someone else playing the amp. Versatility is the definite area where the IV excels. Again, tone is subjective.

wiorys said:
2. How does it (Mark IV) work on the scene? Does it cut through?
Sure. Ask Petrucci.

wiorys said:
I know that Mesa IV was used on many recordings (studio), but I haven't seen any famous guitarist using it on live performances. Why? I'm very, very curious.
:idea:
I don't think its tweaking problem(the biggest disadvantage of mark iv?), many guitarist use one channel amps without problems.
Some consider that an advantage.

wiorys said:
I've heard that Mark IV can sound flat, 2-dimensional in live situations(?).
Not in my experience. Most probably those who say that don't know how to tweak, used a wrong cab, used an old set of tubes, haven't changed strings in 5 years, or plain just don't like how it sound.

wiorys said:
3. I've got Marshall 6100, it's very nice amp with good opinion, but it can't get me into metal territory without external pedal/eq. It excels at rock, hard rock, 3D open tones etc, but not heavy metal or Whitesnake, Dio tones.
I would guess you'll like the III better than IV. It has more of the Marshall vibe compared to IV. Plus, Sykes used III a lot in the past. Plus plus, it's way cheaper than a IV. No need for pedals with either amp.

You hit the nail on the head , there , Citizen , yet I beg to differ about the price statement .
Throw in some EMG's , and your naked on stage .

:lol:

Wiorys ,
I would play a dual caliber and a mark , side by side before buying .
Might suit you better, the DC .

wiorys said:
I've sold my Single Rectifier too. If it comes to distortion, I liked only Vintage mode, but it was too "flubby/muddy". Anyway, I don't use much gain but I like nice saturated(but still dynamic) tone.
Modern has too much bite, bass sounded a bit unnatural imho, highs were too fizzy for me.
It was easy to play(rectifier), but I'm seeking something more demanding

And I like versatility :)
I think I'm just seeking something between marshall&recto.

Have you tried the Stiletto Deuce or Trident?

No I haven't played Stiletto, it's hard to find it here (Poland).
Everything is hard to find, I need to meet with other people, there are no shops (ok maybe there is one or two, :() with expensive gear, because most ppl can't afford new high-end amps.

And like I said, I have posted in mesa mark IV thread, but my post was sent two times, I have deleted last one, and...whoops, Mark IV thread is gone.
Shock.

Thanks for the answers :)

PS I can get MKIV for 1700$
and MK III 1550$
Anyway it's Polish price(shipment cost+25% tax etc)
So I think I'll go for IV for now, if it wouldnt suit me I'll wait for nice Mark III offer

The MKIV will definately cut through. I play in a classic rock cover band that at times has three guitars going at once. (yes we do some Skynard). My guitar always cut's through. I'm using a MKIV widebody 1x12 combo.

Scott

I've recently switched from a Marshall jcm800 (mkII 100w) to a boogie mkIV and I'll say that the boogie sounds better, cuts through better and all of the other adjectives that describe a good live amp.

I'm still testing speakers though. I've used my marshall 4x12 and my boogie 2x12 with ev's and now v30's. i need to test more speakers, but all three of those setups sounded fine and cut through, just in different ways...

"I know that Mesa IV was used on many recordings (studio), but I haven't seen any famous guitarist using it on live performances. Why? I'm very, very curious. "

Walter Trout, the American blues-rock guitarist has used a Mark IV for many years and he sounds pretty good !

The mk IV to me is the best amp out.. there is nothing it can't do..mk III isn't as flexiable but has some REALLY meaty tone's.. i like mk IV because it has all the smoothness as a lead amp but then all the bite of the recto!

It's sweet..

here is my band nearly everything was recorded with my mk IV..

www.Myspace.com/grandvue

Shep said:
The mk IV to me is the best amp out.. there is nothing it can't do..mk III isn't as flexiable but has some REALLY meaty tone's.. i like mk IV because it has all the smoothness as a lead amp but then all the bite of the recto!

It's sweet..

www.Myspace.com/grandvue
nice tone!

im unhappy with the tone on my bands only crappy demo.

http://www.myspace.com/actofbrutality

im left speaker. mark IV....recorded in a garage. These tracks make me cringe.

Everyone's experience and settings are different. I, for example, have no difficulties at all using my MKIII in live settings. My clean channel sounds big and round; my Lead channel is thick and aggressive. I love mine and feel like I can absolutely dial in the "right" tone for each channel. The R2 channel, however, is a bit more of a compromise, but with some tube swaps, I feel that I've found a great 3rd channel that is very usable live.

Edward

scottywompas said:
The MKIV will definately cut through. I play in a classic rock cover band that at times has three guitars going at once. (yes we do some Skynard). My guitar always cut's through. I'm using a MKIV widebody 1x12 combo.

Scott

I have to agree. One of my bands is the same thing and I get nothing but compliments from sound guy's on how I cut through and how fat my tone is!

bryan_kilco said:
Shep said:

It's sweet..

www.Myspace.com/grandvue
nice tone!

im unhappy with the tone on my bands only crappy demo.

http://www.myspace.com/actofbrutality

im left speaker. mark IV....recorded in a garage. These tracks make me cringe.

yeah we just recorded those ourselves at home!.. it's how you place the mic and how you mix it!...your band sounds good but you have scooped everything too much and and it's missing clarity of all your instruments..think about how things sound when you listen to lamb of god.. everything has its own place and nothing really over lap's..sounds awesome

Tom

Latest posts

Back