Mesa M V 25 Cleans - specific question

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

desertrocker

Reaction score
Hi All,

I am new to the forums and to Mesas altogether. I am just about to place an order for a new amp but just have one quick questions that i have tried looking for by reading tons of threads but i am still unsure about.

Basically, I've played the Transatlantic TA-30 and love the clean channel on it and the crunch channel but i hate the gain channels. Ive also played the Lonestar Classic 2x12 and thought it was slightly dark and not glassy enough and did not like the gain channels either- was a big fan of the gain in the recto and the 5:50 for which i was not a fan of the cleans.

The guy at the shop says i should order a Mark V 25 ( i cant afford a normal Mark V) but i just want to know if in your experience i can get the TA-30 tones/Lonestar tones on the clean (glassy and more bluesy and fluid cleans, difficult to describe), its more important than the gain and i know ill get enough and more than i want in gain from the Mark V but i just want to make sure before i commit to ordering.

Thanks in advance :)

Thanks for the super quick response. How would those compare with the TA-30 as i wouldve taken it home had it not been for the weak (IMO) gain channels.

If you're a fan of the distortion on the Recto, why not get a Recto?

Every modern Mesa I've played has had a great clean channel. So far as I know they took what they learned from the Lonestar and applied it to every amp they design/update.

Don't get me wrong, Marks are cool (I use a Mark V), but just because you like the Recto's dirt doesn't garanty you'll like the Mark.

I have no experience with the TA 30 but I can tell you that the cleans are as 3D and glassy as they were on the Roadster and miles better than a Mark IV when dialed in properly.

Buy with confidence. :D

screamingdaisy said:
If you're a fan of the distortion on the Recto, why not get a Recto?

Every modern Mesa I've played has had a great clean channel. So far as I know they took what they learned from the Lonestar and applied it to every amp they design/update.

Don't get me wrong, Marks are cool (I use a Mark V), but just because you like the Recto's dirt doesn't garanty you'll like the Mark.

i just tried to dial in the cleans for about 20 mins and was not able to find anything that i liked and i usually spend about 75% of the time playing cleans so it was a deal breaker... but that vintage setting on the rectoverb was incredible, maybe if i sat and dialed some more i could get a better sound?

Also if this helps: I play mostly blues and classic rock through an LP (HBs) and a Firebird (HBs)

I got to play through the cleans of my new MKV25 for an extensive time on Friday. Seriously, I would own this amp alone for Channel one, not kidding. Clean mode and Crunch mode are outstanding.

I've compared the Mini Rec/Rectoverb25 and MKV25 clean tones lots. I prefer the MKV25 cleans by a good margin. I'm not saying the Rectoverbs cleans are bad, their decent - don't think I can say very good. But the cleans on the MKV25 are soooo good.

desertrocker said:
Well after extensive research and your replies (which i thank you for) i ordered one :) so lets see!

Congrats on joining the Mark family! You'll have to play us some clips of the tones you end up settling with when you get it. I'm interested to see what tones a Blues player can pull from these beasts.

After a long wait it came!

Got the blue bronco one and sincerely love the color and looks.

Only played it for about 2 hours today through my tiny terror's speaker. (Have a Zilla 2x12 on the way that I can't wait to try out with this beast)

The cleans are fantastic. Both with the lp and the strat there's so much versatility. On that fat channel there's nothing you can do from Hendrix tones to vintage 60's LP Blues tones and all glassy and punchy (keep in mind this was through a 1x12 greenback open back cab) it loves single coils but had some great tones on the middle position on my Lp with burstbuckers.

Also i want to stress to people looking to get this that when I bought this amp I wasn't expecting any cleans from channel 2 but you can still coax out some decent clipped blues tones out of the IIc+ and Mark IV at least at relatively low volumes on the 25w setting. It's all in the EQ. Overall majorly impressed. Can't wait to try it in a band situation. Will upload some blues clips tomorrow or sometime this week.

One question about warranty: didn't receive a card, only some papers that said to register online on the Mesa site... Anyone have any input on this?

Thanks!

Yes... just register online. It's quick and easy.

On another note try putting a compressor in front of the amp. I use the Mark V but I bet you will get the same result. There are many out there I use the Xotic SP Compressor and it works very well especially on the clean channel. Gives it a lighter sound and the strings ring out more evenly. IMO.

Latest posts

Back