Mesa EL34 STR-450 and the Roadster...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

echoes420

Reaction score
Hey everybody! Sorry I took a leave of absence from you guys for a while... I had internet issues.

Anyway... I have done lots of experimenting with my Roadster and different guitars since I last posted... the biggest difference being the STR-450 tubes I put in it... Holy Hell!!! What a difference! I saw a dramatic improvement in ALL modes! It really makes Brit channel 2 and vintage channel 3 make sense... much more than they did with the stock 6L6s. I had never been much of a NOS tube guy before, but once I dropped these in the Roadster, it was on! ( I actually NOS'd all 10 tubes in my Silverface Fender... but that is another story all together!) I also finally got around to putting SPAX7s in the slots 1,2, and 3... it seemed to tighten it up a bit, but not a huge difference all together... which was surprising because you always hear that preamp tubes make a bigger difference than power tubes... and in my other amps, that is true... but with the Roadster, it was the opposite. The change in power tubes make beyond significant changes to the whole voicing of the channels as where the preamp tubes didn't change the tone at all, just kind of tightened it up.

I am not trying to start a pre vs power war here or anything... I was really just here to rant about how great the tubes are. The only bad thing is I have no idea how many of the tubes Mesa still has. I have gotten used to them so much that I know when these are done, I will NEED to buy the same ones. It makes me just want to buy as many of them as I can, while I can.

I'd try to find another suitable replacement...those 450's are going THROUGH THE ROOF in price.

Tung Sol EL34B's my friend....Tung Sol EL34B's....I have a brand new spare quad if you want to try them ;)

Eric

Thanks, but I still have like 4 years left on my warranty. Maybe if I am lucky, these tubes will last that long. Ha.

Latest posts

Back