Mesa Boogie Royal Atlantic RA 100 Rock/Metal

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bandit2013 said:
thumbpick said:
I'm new here - first post! I bought one of the very first RA-100's to make its way to North Carolina from Fat Sound Guitars (before they closed down.) I have loved the amp since I first bought it. At that time, I was in a purely metal band. My current band is more rock than metal (Tool/Karnivool/Thrice kind of sound) and it is even better for that. If you are looking for a very aggressive "djent" high-gain type sound, this might not be the amp for you. To me, when totally cranked, then amp makes you feel more like you've turned up an old Marshall to max (even though it doesn't sound like a Marshall - it still has that "Mesa" sound.) But, it's just raw, pure power and gain... Not that super "clean" type of high gain that you hear out of German amps, etc.

At this time, I'm running it on the red channel with the gain at about 1 o'clock, sometimes boosted with an Xotic EP booster (but only for solos.) I'm also running it with the attenuator turned about halfway up and with the volume turned up to about 2-3 o'clock. I have found this sound to absolutely blow me away. The amp gives you this incredible feeling as your playing with the attenuator on.

My new band recorded our entire EP with the RA-100. If you want a sample of it, I'd love for you to check this out. What you're hearing is a Gibson Les Paul Studio Baritone at B-standard, straight into the amp. You'll hear both the clean channel (which is the best clean Mesa has ever produced IMO) and the red channel. The very beginning lick and end lick are run though an Xotic AC booster for gain instead, with an Eventide TimeFactor for delay.

https://soundcloud.com/kindler-band/shifting-ground

Cheers!
Your soundcloud clip was awesome ! That is a great sound, liked the song too. I stumbled on this thread trying to learn more about the RA100. Really considering adding this amp to my collection. I did consider a Dynamo GT-6 but 200W too much for me. My Mark V is a great amp but would like something with more Brit/vintage tone. Next question is what speaker enclosure to go with, thinking Fane Medusa 150 in 412. Still need to get the Medusa for my Mark IV project. I am very impressed with the Fane Studio speaker, very clean and neutral but packs a punch similar to EVM12L-BL.

The RA100 has my interests. Seems to fill the gap where the Mark V does not. Mark IV is a nice amp too but lack more of what the V can deliver. The RA will complete the tone quest for me. With that amp I could get that modern + vintage tone, use the Mark V and or Mark IV when needed.

Thanks man!! I really appreciate that! On that recording, you're hearing it through a Rectifier Oversized 4x12 that is mic'd with a couple of different mics, and we also had room mics waaay back in the corners of the room to add a bit of continuity to the multitracking.

thumbpick said:
I'm new here - first post! I bought one of the very first RA-100's to make its way to North Carolina from Fat Sound Guitars (before they closed down.) I have loved the amp since I first bought it. At that time, I was in a purely metal band. My current band is more rock than metal (Tool/Karnivool/Thrice kind of sound) and it is even better for that. If you are looking for a very aggressive "djent" high-gain type sound, this might not be the amp for you. To me, when totally cranked, then amp makes you feel more like you've turned up an old Marshall to max (even though it doesn't sound like a Marshall - it still has that "Mesa" sound.) But, it's just raw, pure power and gain... Not that super "clean" type of high gain that you hear out of German amps, etc.

At this time, I'm running it on the red channel with the gain at about 1 o'clock, sometimes boosted with an Xotic EP booster (but only for solos.) I'm also running it with the attenuator turned about halfway up and with the volume turned up to about 2-3 o'clock. I have found this sound to absolutely blow me away. The amp gives you this incredible feeling as your playing with the attenuator on.

My new band recorded our entire EP with the RA-100. If you want a sample of it, I'd love for you to check this out. What you're hearing is a Gibson Les Paul Studio Baritone at B-standard, straight into the amp. You'll hear both the clean channel (which is the best clean Mesa has ever produced IMO) and the red channel. The very beginning lick and end lick are run though an Xotic AC booster for gain instead, with an Eventide TimeFactor for delay.

Cheers!

Dude that song really is badass. The guitars had great tone and your vocalist f'ing slays. That guy is seriously good. Great recording!

thumbpick - that song kicks major *** man! I'm really loving it! Where can I find some more of your band's music!?

exbest182 said:
I'm at a love/hate with my RA, not so much because I dislike it, but I don't know if it's the right amp for me. I have the RA and the Mark V, I play in I'd say an aggressive punk band, a lot of muting, and faster picking... and in that application, I'm not super enjoying it.. everything else I love, I love the big opened strummed out chords, cleans.. I love.. but palming muting, and needing that tight, well.. mark sounding urgency.. it's not there, but it's not supposed to be either... I may play around with some tubes, and see what I can get out of it, but I've been considering losing the RA-100 and maybe just grabbing a Mark III or something.

You have to use a Tube Screamer or other OD pedal. IMHO the Royal doesn't have a ton of gain, it's got nowhere near the gain of amps like 5153, JVM, or Diezel's.

And your last amp you mentioned...the Mark III. I had my Royal next to a MarkIII red stripe and honestly, the Mark III killed it for high gain.

You have to approach the gain on the RA completely different than a Mark series. To me the RA has more than enough gain, I hardly ever run the gain past 2 o clock. Once you pass that point things start to get way more spongy, which is cool, but not for a tight rhythm tone. I cut the bass back to around the 9:30-10 range and it helps tighten things up, boost the mids to about the 2:00 range and treble to your personal taste, I keep it around 1:00. But with the gain structure if you throw too much gain on it you lose that percussive low end. At lower volumes I run a grid slammer in front with the gain around noon and it gets pretty "mark-like". But at higher volumes I find myself turning the GS off when I hit the power section a little harder, it gets a lot meaner/punchy-er/aggressive, and I felt it was more tone full without it. The power soak it cool, but for this type of tone there is nothing like setting it to 100 watts and cranking it. I never had the opportunity to play it that way the first time I owned it and it made all the difference for me.

thumbpick said:

Cheers!

Zombie thread...but this is too funny - playing a couple gigs with this guy's band (Kindler) is what influenced me to get an RA-100. I'm loving it as well.

I bought my RA100 used. The tubes were okay but I replaced everything. I have an RFT 12AT7 in V3, Vintage Mesa 12AX7A (v1, V2, V4, V5) and current Mesa (JJ) in V6 and V7. I had briefly tried TAD6L6GC-STR in the amp. It seemed to sound thin (probably since most of my power tubes were selected for hot bias for use with the Mark V). Once the SED =C= EL34 came in, I did not want to use anything else. Odd that I did not try the NOS set of Svetlana's (Groove Tubes GT6L6R-2). I will have to see how that will sound. I actually prefer the EL34 tone in this amp compared to the 6L6 that I use in the other amps. Probably because my favorite channel is voice rather deep (clean channel) the EL34 keeps it tight and the 6L6 will seem a bit loose. I guess it has been a while and forgot how it sounded. Perhaps the performance of the Hi/Lo channel will improve since it is on the bright side. The Vintage Mesa 12AX7A (that I had since 1990) sound awesome compared to the Mesa branded JJ tubes in this amp. They do not compress as much as they did in my Mark V.

Today I decided to give the 6L6GC a trial in the RA100. Clean channel took on a Fender Blues Deluxe character. That was actually different and unexpected. But that is not the topic... Rock/Metal, I am too assume the Hi/Lo channel.... Well, not bad but perhaps the outcome would have been different if I borrowed the Mesa STR440 from the Roadster than using the SED =C= 6L6GC. The Mesa tubes tend to have more of a flat response or perhaps a scooped sound with some of the mid range frequencies, the SED 6L6GC do not. They would probably do the trick quite well. However the RA100 would benefit if it had a presence control, as is, it is more like having a high presence setting. I had to dial out the treble almost completely out to improve the bass response.

SED =C= 6L6GC in RA100 :|
P8100043_zps1e8a744e.jpg

SED =C= EL34 in RA100 :D
P8100046_zps3e929043.jpg

I much prefer the EL34 in the RA100 over the 6L6GC. Clean channel retains that vintage edge characteristic that is where I loose myself with. Hi/Lo is more British tone. Bass response did not seem to be diminished to any degree. When chugging it was less choppy with the EL34 than the 6L6GC. I use the power soak set to -3dB on all channels occasionally and it does not seem to reduce the volume that dramatically with the EL34. Actually the saturation sounds great. However, with 6L6GC, the -3dB power soak had a dramatic effect on tone. Just for kicks before returning the EL34 back in the RA100, I tried the amp though the EV cabinet. Had a nasal tone to it. the V30 is still top gun for speaker choice with the RA100. If you are really after that Metal tone, either get an OD pedal or flux drive with 5band EQ. I have the regular 5band EQ that I use in the loop sometimes. It is not dramatic but does enhance the tone to some degree. I did not use any effects during the trial.

Back