Mesa Boogie JP2C / Mark V Graphic EQ

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Narpldr

Reaction score
Ok question. At 9:27 in the video below the tech says John runs his rig in stereo and says that the Graphic EQ is post effects loop.

I currently have a Mark V 35. It's a great amp for some smaller gigs I play but I play in Hardcore band as well and the EL84 Power Amp CANNOT hold its own against some other higher wattage amps. I was looking at purchasing a Stereo 2:90 Power Amp from Mesa to use for these shows but now I'm worried that if I come out of the Mark V 35 effects loop and back into the Stereo 2:90 Power Amp it'll completely bypass the Graphic EQ. Will that be the case or will I still be able to use the Graphic EQ even with the Stereo 2:90 Power Amp?

I'm asking this question here because eventually I want to buy a JP2C and Id still want the the Stereo 2:90 for running in stereo. Similar to how John runs his rig. I'd run out of the JP2C Effects Send through all my effects and come back stereo to the Effects Return of the JP2C and the input of the Stereo 2:90 but I run into the same problem. I'm worried that the tone on the 2:90 will be compromised with the lack of an EQ since I, just like everyone else I'm sure, rely so heavily on it.

Thanks in advanced!! :mrgreen:

https://youtu.be/xlI4Bz8qGeI

Narpldr said:
Ok question. At 9:27 in the video below the tech says John runs his rig in stereo and says that the Graphic EQ is post effects loop.

I currently have a Mark V 35. It's a great amp for some smaller gigs I play but I play in Hardcore band as well and the EL84 Power Amp CANNOT hold its own against some other higher wattage amps. I was looking at purchasing a Stereo 2:90 Power Amp from Mesa to use for these shows but now I'm worried that if I come out of the Mark V 35 effects loop and back into the Stereo 2:90 Power Amp it'll completely bypass the Graphic EQ. Will that be the case or will I still be able to use the Graphic EQ even with the Stereo 2:90 Power Amp?

I'm asking this question here because eventually I want to buy a JP2C and Id still want the the Stereo 2:90 for running in stereo. Similar to how John runs his rig. I'd run out of the JP2C Effects Send through all my effects and come back stereo to the Effects Return of the JP2C and the input of the Stereo 2:90 but I run into the same problem. I'm worried that the tone on the 2:90 will be compromised with the lack of an EQ since I, just like everyone else I'm sure, rely so heavily on it.

Thanks in advanced!! :mrgreen:

https://youtu.be/xlI4Bz8qGeI

How about using the slave output instead of the fx loop? It should have the eq applied by then, right?

Thanks for the reply. That could be a solution for the JP2C. In the video the tech says John uses one JP2C for the pre-amp, out of the effects send into the Axe FX and then comes out of the Axe FX in stereo and into the effects returns of the two amps to run stereo. So I'm curious if there's a particular reason why he does this as opposed to using the slave. Will it be true stereo if he used the slave?

But as for my current rig, will using the Stereo 2:90 make me lose the ability to use the Graphic EQ on the Mark V 35?

On the newer Marks the graphic eq comes befor the fx send, so you should be fine.

Either using the fx send or the slave output should count as using an amp as a preamp - certainly as shorthand. You definitely still need the "amp" part to make it roar ;)

As Daniel said, on the Mark V, V:25 and V:35 the GEQ is before the Effects Send. On the Mark II, III, IV and the JP-2C, the GEQ is after the Effects Return. The reason why JP uses the FX Send is because he has a second amp to use just as a Power Amp (and also a Preamp backup in case something breaks in his main amp's preamp). The shortcoming of using the Slave output is that you can't return the signal to that amp's Effects Return, so you can only use the amp as a preamp if you use the Slave out. If you wanted to run the JP-2C in stereo you'd have to: a) buy two JP-2Cs, b) use the Slave out of the JP-2C and then use a Stereo Power Amp (like the 2:50 or 2:90, because you can't use the JP-2C's power amp when using the Slave out), c) use the Effects Send and Return of the JP-2C and buy a tube, mono (preferrably), NON Simul-Class power amp (like the Fryette Power Station, for example), and also buy the 5-Band GEQ pedal and sort out a way to switch it on and off together with the JP-2C's GEQs... That's why the Simul-Satellite was invented, it was just a power amp with (or without) the GEQ and a relay out which could be connected to the Mark IV so that any switching of the GEQ in the Mark IV would be mirrored in the Satellite... Too bad they weren't popular enough and Mesa discontinued them... It'd be really really great if they released a 60/100 watt, more compact version of the Satellite (maybe a 2U rackmount version) to be used with the JP-2C for stereo operation...

I'm not sure I'm following this bit:
Agustín Collia said:
If you wanted to run the JP-2C in stereo you'd have to: a) buy two JP-2Cs, b) use the Slave out of the JP-2C and then use a Stereo Power Amp (like the 2:50 or 2:90, because you can't use the JP-2C's power amp when using the Slave out)

I run my JP-2C through a 4x12 cabinet and use the slave out as an additional preamp signal for a stereo fx chain in a wet/dry/wet rig.

JP-2c power amp: dry signal
JP-2c slave output->strymon stereo pedals
Strymon left->power amp one
Strymon right->power amp two

The power amps have been, variously, either other mesa amps with the strymon signal going into the amps' fx returns, or a stereo Radial DI pedal that then goes to a pair of powered floor wedges.

Thinking about getting a 2:fifty poweramp and a couple of slant 1x12 instead.

The point is, I'm using the JP-2c poweramp and the slave out simultaneously right now. That's okay, right? Right!?

dlpasco said:
I'm not sure I'm following this bit:
Agustín Collia said:
If you wanted to run the JP-2C in stereo you'd have to: a) buy two JP-2Cs, b) use the Slave out of the JP-2C and then use a Stereo Power Amp (like the 2:50 or 2:90, because you can't use the JP-2C's power amp when using the Slave out)

I run my JP-2C through a 4x12 cabinet and use the slave out as an additional preamp signal for a stereo fx chain in a wet/dry/wet rig.

JP-2c power amp: dry signal
JP-2c slave output->strymon stereo pedals
Strymon left->power amp one
Strymon right->power amp two

The power amps have been, variously, either other mesa amps with the strymon signal going into the amps' fx returns, or a stereo Radial DI pedal that then goes to a pair of powered floor wedges.

Thinking about getting a 2:fifty poweramp and a couple of slant 1x12 instead.

The point is, I'm using the JP-2c poweramp and the slave out simultaneously right now. That's okay, right? Right!?
Hahaha, yeah, it is... What I meant to say is that you can't use the JP-2C's Power Amp to return an effected signal when you're using the Slave out to send the amp's signal to those effects. This is because the Slave out is located after the Effects Return, so you'd be returning the effected signal to a point in the chain prior to the point at which you're sending it. My statement in my previous post was restricted to a fully wet rig because he made a reference to JP's setup, and although he's using a stereo setup, it's a fully wet stereo setup, it's not W/D or W/D/W like it used to be, thus the "inability" to use the JP-2C's Power Amp if you were to use the Slave out in that scenario.

Latest posts

Back