Mesa Blue Angel V2..for tone?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Casper

Reaction score
I have searched and read looking for this subject for the past few days to no avail. I just re-tubed my BA 112combo. Here is my line-up:
V1-Mesa SPAX7
V2-Mesa 12AT7
V3-Jan 12AT7WC
V4-JJECC83s
V5-Tung-Sol 12AT7 (balanced)
PT-Mesa 6V6's/JJ EL84/JJGZ34 Rectifier

The amp sounds good and I could live with it as is..BUT.. I had a Tung Sol 12AX7 Gold pin in V1, but my amp tech said it was noisy and a way-too-gainy tube for my style. (all pedals and clean/warm tone desired). The Mesa SPAX sounds great. I can't help but wonder about V2. I understand from reading here that V2 is the single most important tube. I LOVE Jan/ Phillips tubes and have been itching to try a 5751 here..even NOS if the opportunity presents itself. If this tube position represents the tone of the amp, I would like to get a tube that will boost the lows and lower mids as I now have a neo celestion in place of the MC-90. The speaker sounds wonderful, but I miss the lows.

Am I thinking correctly here? Do I look for a preamp tube that has these characteristics for V2 or another location? Is the 12AT7 in V2 underpowered, or do I need to power up to hit the power section more for the warmth with a straight 12AX7?
I also realize that V2 controls the inherent hiss in the amp (which has never really been an issue) so I know this will be an important choice. Also, should I get matching and balanced for V2 since its so important?
Sure would appreciate someones thoughts here?
Shaun

Latest posts

Back