Mesa Amp + Pedal for Marshall Tone

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Chris McKinley said:
Thank ye kindly, Blaklynx. The open voicing of the Clean Pushed channel is kind of a sleeper benefit of the Rectos that most users probably aren't really aware of. Yeah, it's not exactly the same as a Marshall, but it does the job just fine if you know how to tweak it.

Messed around tonight on pushed mode on my triple with an SD-1 and a boss eq pushing the mids up a bit. Fairly convincing Marshall tone with all that out front, especially with a little chorus after the eq in front of the amp. Having the chorus out front seems to give off a more vintage vibe than in the loop.

Do you guys set to bold or spongy? SS or tube rectifier?

I use some really wierd settings on my R2 channel to get my Plexi sound and I'd say it 90% nails it (haven't used it live yet since I just recently - past year- got my Marshall to A/B it). But it really only works on channels 1 and 2 either by dropping the gain on Ch2 or ramping up the gain on Ch1 and driving the crap out of the speakers.

Catalinbread just made a limited edition pedal called the RAH to replicate Jimmy Page's tone he got at the Royal Albert Hall performance (my personal favorite ever - I believe he was using custom Hiwatts for that show though...) But it really captures that sound...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIQp1WRXP8s&feature=related

Since that demo was on a Fender Vibrolux and our Mesa's share such a similar Fender clean power section i'd imagine it would have a very similar tone.

For the Marshall-on-a-Mesa thing, I definitely use Spongy/Tube Rectification. I'm probably the only one who's really listening for it, but that's always the case when you're a tweaker.

SonicProvocateur, thanks for the heads up on the new pedal. Very tasty.

Just get a used DSL Marshall. I tried for years to get that classic crunch. If you get the amp, you get all of the tones in both channels. And a Marshall and Mesa sound great together.

I guess a good question to ask would be what (era) or (player) Marshall sound would you be going for Bill?

Certain Marshall amps are cheap like the DSL and TSL and can be had for the crunch and lead tones, but if you seek those early Plexi tones and you are a tone guru with a precise ear, then shelling out hard cash or coming up with a pedal/speaker combo with the Mesa may be the answer. The plexi tones are the hardest to hit because the amps were so clean and densely flat/warm/chirpy in the mids and to me the best ones had KT66's not EL34's...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUt3hFnbRBo&list=UUZ8jLCyhoQPDIZqLScGp-Ew&index=108&feature=plcp

^That guy's video's are solid tone gold.

If you drop the 750 slider down it will sound very Marshall like ?? least mine does

Laskyman said:
Wampler Pinnacle
Catlinbread DLS
Lovepedal Purple Plexi

Into the clean channel.....
YMMV

The DLS will be the JTM front end. Then hit that with a stomp just like you would a Marshall.

As I understand it, that pedal is designed to be used between your amp and your stomp boxes.

This pedal interests me as well. I am thinking it could go in front of a sweet little Rectoverb combo.

Has anyone used this pedal in the above manner? I saw two YT demos and it was pretty good.

And I have a modded DSL100 and JVM410 to compare to. Not bad.

How is it?

For me the JHS State Line ( the Charlie Brown side ) gives pretty convincing JTM45 tones. The modded Morning Glory side for Bluesbreaker tones.
My new fave OD pedal....into the Clean channel of my Express 5:50+.....love it!

http://www.jhspedals.com/products/discontinued-rare/state-line/

Back