Meet the "Baby Blue Angel"

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zoner

Reaction score
Thanks to a couple brothers at the Hamer Fan Club, I scored this MKI reissue shell and stuffed my Subway Blues into it, and I now have the coolest 20 watt Boogie ever. This is how Mesa could have done it, but didn't.

I dug the 1x10 combo a great deal, but couldn't resist trying a bigger box. I didn't have a comparable speaker to the stocker (Eminence "Vintage Black Shadow" ceramic 50 watter), so I pulled the driver out of my MKIIC+ cab since the chassis is away for a visit to its place of birth.

I thought pushing a 200 watt E/V with 10 or 20 watts of power was a silly idea, then I gave it a spin! Who took the blanket off my amp???

The increase in headroom tells me the E/V is more efficient, and this is a welcome bonus.

The only obvious downside is the increase in size and weight, but in this case it is worth it for the extra beef it adds to the tone.

There is even a handy pouch for stashing a Fulldrive II or some other valued accessory. 8)
All told, I figure I have about $650 wrapped up in this rig, and doubt I could get something that made me happier for that kind of $$ elsewhere.

This will make waiting for my MK to return from Petaluma less painful (as long as I don't have to tote this thing around much, that is).

Thanks, HFC'ers.

What do you guys think?

BabyBlue002.jpg

BabyBlue004.jpg

Z

That is nice, although I must admit I was hoping for a hardwood/wicker box.

Given the number of people who've owned MK series amps and complained about never being able to run the Master above 3, I think the Subways were a great idea. When I need more volume or projection, I go with an extension cab. Otherwise (most of the time) I'm happy with a tone monster I can carry with one hand.

I wish they'd made a MK IV with the 20W Subway power section in a combo box with a 10".

Very cool, man! I bet it sounds good. And yup, no reason not to try a high wattage speaker with a lower output power section, in fact sometimes thats exactly what you need to get more punch and headroom.

When the IIC+ comes back and you return the EVM to the cab, what are you gonna put in the "Baby Blue"?

Latest posts

Back