Maxon VOP9 Pro, OD 808, & OD 9 Pro

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BILLIAM666

Reaction score
I have decided to add a boost to my Mesa Roaster head. The Maxon OD 808 seems to be popular, but how does it compare as a boost to the VOP 9 Pro and OD9 Pro? Seems like they have some additional interesting features. I know there are quite a few topics about this on this but after reading I still can't make up my mind. There is not a Maxon dealer in my area so that I can try them all with my rig. Thanks - Bill

i cant really speak for the vop9 because i have never used one, but the od9 pro plus is in a different league than the od 808. it can just do everything the 808 can do, but can also do a "fatter" distorted tone while still staying warm in the boost mode setting IMO. I have spent many hours using both of these maxon pedals (od808 and od9 pro plus) you mentioned and currently have been using the 0d9 pro plus to boost my clean channel on my Ace head.

this clip does a good job comparing the od9 and the od9 pro plus
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cu22N450I5U

I can only speak on the OD808....

IMO, the real advantage to the OD808 with a Recto is that it's 'warm'... ie, more of a low mid focus and not so bright in the upper mids. This combines well with the voicing of the Recto.

Other ODs I've used seem to have more of an upper mid accent. Great for lead boosting with upper mid voiced amps, but with the Recto they're an unnatural fit.

BILLIAM666 said:
I have decided to add a boost to my Mesa Roaster head. The Maxon OD 808 seems to be popular, but how does it compare as a boost to the VOP 9 Pro and OD9 Pro? Seems like they have some additional interesting features. I know there are quite a few topics about this on this but after reading I still can't make up my mind. There is not a Maxon dealer in my area so that I can try them all with my rig. Thanks - Bill

Buy the OD808. Another favorite of mine is the Fulltone OCD, which works much better than the 808 (in my opinion) on channels 1 and 2. If you're using a standard recto cab and care more about channels 3 and 4, get the OD808.

i use the fulltone ocd with my roadking2 it sounds great with it . good luck on your choice. cal

+1000 on the OCD. I think it boosts all of my Roadster channels nicely and I use it quite often.

I noticed you have an MXR 10-band EQ. If you wanted to, you could also put that in front of your amp as a boost and adjust the frequencies to your liking.

Im a long time Od808 user. Ive religiously used it with all my rectos and 5150s. It does work great. But.....I recently got a TS9 in on a trade. Havent had one in probably 12 years. Iactually like the TS9 better with my Tverb. The sound is more open and balanced to me. Its also far less boxy sounding. Just a better over all sound and feel with the TS9. I was shocked to find this out.

I dont know the VOP9 but the OD9 Pro ive messed around with quite a bit. Its a great well balanced OD. It killed with my 5150s crunch ch. But Ive never been able to AB the OD9 and the OD808.

Latest posts

Back