Maxon + Roadster = Sonic Bliss at last

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oyster

Reaction score
After demoing a wide enough variety of pedals to upset even the most patient guitar store salesman, and even taking one home (Custom Audio) and returning it then repeating the process again...

I came across a Maxon Overdrive Pro. I didn't initially try it because it is big, green, and somewhat ugly... My prejudice was unfounded...it made the Roadster's clean channels come alive with what could best be described as killer thick Marshally crunch...and the lead channels come alive with a fullbodied liquid tone...and it never loses its articulate sound, when playing chords you can easily distinguish each note.

WOO HOO!!!

Those of you who are looking for an OD to bash the front end of your amp, Roadster or otherwise, should look NO FURTHER!

And thats all I have to say, about that... :oops: Any questions?

Hey Oyster,

I just got a Maxon OD-9 - the big green thing. I also run it through a 2x12 Roadster and you are absolutely right - it is a great add. The clean channel gets a great ballsy crunch and the higher gain channels are so liquid. It is tremendous.

Glad to see somebody out there with refined taste! :D

Joe

Do you mean the new Maxon OD-9Pro+? It's an uglier green than the original OD-9. I read another thread where people were rantin' and ravin' about just the Maxon OD-808. I believe the OD9 would be where it's at though. If it has the boost switch, it's the new one. And I'm glad someone gave a good review. My current OD is a Smart People Factory Green Line OD. It's all right. It has some nice dynamic sound in the mids when I really chuck on Ch1 of my RKII but boosting Ch3 and 4 it just is disgusting. When you guys are talking about a liquid boosted tone on the dirtier channels of your boogies using OD pedals, do you not have the gain on the amp really high? I usually have it maxed...Heh...

I am not sure of the model, but mine doesn't have a boost switch, so i'm guessing mine is the straight OD-9. I bought it from analogman.com. They do some mods on them, I couldn't tell you what. I just really like the way they sound.

My gain is at about 2:00 on the 4 channel, 50 watts, rectifier, bold. It is a a very smooth liquid rip.

HTH

Joe

kingster911 said:
Do you mean the new Maxon OD-9Pro+? It's an uglier green than the original OD-9. I read another thread where people were rantin' and ravin' about just the Maxon OD-808. I believe the OD9 would be where it's at though. If it has the boost switch, it's the new one. And I'm glad someone gave a good review. My current OD is a Smart People Factory Green Line OD. It's all right. It has some nice dynamic sound in the mids when I really chuck on Ch1 of my RKII but boosting Ch3 and 4 it just is disgusting. When you guys are talking about a liquid boosted tone on the dirtier channels of your boogies using OD pedals, do you not have the gain on the amp really high? I usually have it maxed...Heh...

I use the 808 and it's great. Boosting ch3 and 4 isn't disgusting. I boosted my 2ch Recto for leads. It's not a gain thing, it's more of a compression and feel thing - it gives the amp a more liquid feel than just the amp alone. It's also indefinitely better for your preamp tubes than running the gain at full whack :wink:

kingster911 said:
When you guys are talking about a liquid boosted tone on the dirtier channels of your boogies using OD pedals, do you not have the gain on the amp really high? I usually have it maxed...Heh...

For a liquid tone as above I would normally have the gain at around 2:00 or maybe 3:00 on vintage mode plus the pedal at a fairly low gain level, as I still like to have some tone rather than just gain so to speak. For many purposes though, I generally keep the gain fairly low, I am not a metal shredder, I am currently most interested in a smooth articulate overdriven tone so I keep gain a bit above noon (ch3 and 4) and pretty much all the way up on the clean channels. And I experimented with using RAW mode rather than my usual vintage last night, so the gain is even lower on the amp technically. this sounds really nice with the pedal...crunch crunch crunch!

8)

I actually use Full-Drive 2 with my Roadster and it is good. What are the difference I will have with Maxon OD-808 or OD-820 ? What do you think about Xotic BB-Preamp ? (use by Andy Timmons I think).

Okay a few of these responses were what I was thinkin': a boosted articulate sounding lead tone. I've never tried a Mark IV but it's reminiscent of a lead from there maybe? I gotta try turnin' the gain way down now and get experimental with the OD settings. I have 2 switches on my OD as well as the Drive Tone and Volume controls: Vintage/Modern and a Mud switch.

I'm currently using an OD808...and all I can say is WOW!!!
been a couple months now and It still puts a smile on my face.
and to think I almost gave up on the roadster...

Has anyone tried the Maxon ROD 880 or the 881, the real tube series? Just wondering how they compare to the regular series OD's that seem to be so popular now.

Machine Gun said:
Has anyone tried the Maxon ROD 880 or the 881, the real tube series? Just wondering how they compare to the regular series OD's that seem to be so popular now.

Putting a 12ax7 in the pedal is probably quite a gimmick IMHO

I'm using a Boss Me-50 in front of my roadster, anyone using one? If so what type of OD settings do you use and would they be similar to the Maxon.

I have a Maxon OD808 and wanted it to add more sustain when turning the gain way down to get rid of some mud.....just seems to add a lot of fiz......what you guys got your maxon set at for settings?

Coeur de Blues said:
I actually use Full-Drive 2 with my Roadster and it is good. What are the difference I will have with Maxon OD-808 or OD-820 ? What do you think about Xotic BB-Preamp ? (use by Andy Timmons I think).

I use the BB with my Roadster for a Channel four Rythm sound. These are the settings: BB Bass and Treble on center detent (flat) Gain at 9:00, Volume at 12:00. Channel four (Raw mode) Gain 2:30, Treble 12:00, Mid 9:00, Bass 11:00, Presc. 8:00, 100 watts, diodes. Nice sound for crunchy Rythms.

I use the BB with the same settings on my MK IV Rythm 2 channel as well.

Coeur de Blues said:

These are all, IIRC, simply minor variations on the original TS circuit. So the "flavor" will be slightly different, but the basic "fatter, tighter, sweeter" effect will be similar.

I use a Fulltone OCD and Maxon OD808......I've tried numerous pedals and haven't found any better yet with the Recto. The FDII is awesome to but a bit on the darker side at times.

What will give a tighter, more articulate sound with a RK, a Maxon OD-9 pro+ or a BB preamp? Anyone tried both? Or is better just to get a equalizer?

Sorry to hijack people. Been thinking about getting a maxon OD pedal, i'm looking to get tha Killswitch Engage tightness out of a roadking. Does any body know which pedal would be best? I can't decide between the 808, 9 or the 9 pro. I love to try them out but being in the UK i can't find a store that stocks them so will have to buy online.

Cheers Guys.

Flavell777 said:
Sorry to hijack people. Been thinking about getting a maxon OD pedal, i'm looking to get tha Killswitch Engage tightness out of a roadking. Does any body know which pedal would be best? I can't decide between the 808, 9 or the 9 pro. I love to try them out but being in the UK i can't find a store that stocks them so will have to buy online.

Cheers Guys.

The guys in Killswitch use the OD808.

Latest posts

Back