Maxon OD808 or Fulltone OCD

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

triple rectumfrier

Reaction score
I dont know if it has been mentioned, I looked, believe me...work is quite boring today...

What does a better job, the OD808 or OCD? I am looking to tighten up my triple 3ch rectifier, also looking for some heavier distortion. Thanks.

EDIT: whats the difference betweeen the 808 reissue and 808? I saw the reissue on harmony-central.com/userreviews

For my rig the OCD does'nt really tighten up the sound not sure if its supposed to either. It can definately add gain. For me its more of a kickass lead pedal and really good for pushing and almost broken tube sound over the edge--like a tweed blues tone. Other dudes may feel differently about this. I've heard the other pedals you mentioned do tighten it up.Its extremely important to try these pedals with your gear and ears for tone is very subjective.I've noticed I like the OCD more with EL-34s ala Stilleto Ace. Good Luck!

To be completely honest, I think most Tubescreamer pedals give the effect of a "tighter" sound because they cut bass....try using the EQ with less bass. In a band mix, I only have mine at 9:00, and the sound is still huge. Just A LOT tighter!

I was looking for a tighter sound and picked up a maxon od808 on ebay. I am very happy with it. I have the overdrive off and the balance at 2:00. It is a very nice clean boost. The difference is suttle, but man it is great. I have not tried the OCD.

I have an Ace and I use both(separately) an OCD and a Maxon ts-9 pro+. The Maxon tightens single note singing leads very nicely...really smooth, sustains for a long time. I run it at 12 o'clock and 18 volts. I run the OCD to break up rhythm stuff a bit more and run it at 9 volts. I find that this combination gives me a bit more variety in my board. The Maxon replaced my ZW-44 OD. Also, my OCD is version 2....version 3 might be better...don't know.

I turned down the bass to about 10:00 I will see how it sounds in a band setting to tweak it some more. I think I have my answer and will probably pick up an 808

I am torn between the two!! I now have the money to actually buy both but would only do so if necessary.

You guys are saying that the OD808 will tighten things up, but I also want more distortion...will this get me heavier distortion? Or will the OCD do this?

I can run the OD808 at 18 volts right? I am willing to buy both the OD808 and the OCD if it will make my sound insane, but if they virtually do the same thing, that seems pointless :roll:

I feel Ya on the torn thing, I have the OCD v3 and dont feel its tight sounding. Drive/ Distortion yeah. Dynamic yeah, sustain yeah but tight no.

^oh wow, tightness is what I am looking for. WellI went ahead and jumped on an OD808. cant WAIT till it comes!!

I also changed the silicone diodes to Tube Recti's.

OH MY GOD. it sounds so HUGE now I love it!!! Honestly it isnt even that loose. So the OD might just make it even better!!

Consider a Maxon Ts9-----it is true bypass and sounds better to me. I am using an Analogman modified Maxon ts-9 with a Xotic BB preamp pedal and I get all the tones I can stand.

stompboxfreak72 said:
Consider a Maxon Ts9-----it is true bypass and sounds better to me. I am using an Analogman modified Maxon ts-9 with a Xotic BB preamp pedal and I get all the tones I can stand.

...Can you explain why the TS-9 and not the OD-808?

^ Please...what is the difference? I got my OD808 and love it! but if the TS9 is indeed better I would like to have a look into that.

Keep in mind that I will never turn the OD off, it is mounted in my rack.

Latest posts

Back