Maverick Sound clips

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vitor gracie

Reaction score
I recorded some short sound clips of my Mesa Boogie Maverick. For those gear heads that have never heard one and wanted to listen to it's tones, I used a 2002 PRS McCarty Singlecut for both clips. The cleaner sounds are the Duncan Jazz in the neck tapped, and the lead is a Duncan Invader. I am running through an Orange 2X12 cosed back cab. SM-57 into my Macbookpro. I just tracked it into garage band. The only FX used are just a little delay for all the tracks. It's a Vox Time Machine and the amps own reverb.

The amp compared to my Lonestar has a brighter more "Vox-ey" clean sound. It has way more presence and more mids in the clean then my Lonestar for sure. This may be a good or bad thing depending on your guitar + cab setup. The dirty is not quite as smooth as the Lonestar to my ears with my gear. It mushes out in that classic Carlos Santana kinda way and the gain has to be set very low to get any kind of percussive sound out of that dirty channel. I couldn't dial in a "metal" sound and I would assume that anyone interested in the amp isn't looking for that. Rock, yes... Metal....hell no. lol

I have read in some places that people found the mid-range to be annoying on this amp. To my ears it's simply not true. I think they need to "un-plug" from thier 5150s/Rectos for a bit to hear a "normal" amplifier's mid-range frequencies. Even Mark Morton of Lamb of god is quoted on Mesa Boogie's site as discussing the electric guitar's natural mid-range frequencies and how cutting those frequencies causes it to disappear in the mix. So, to me... the mids on this amp are good.

I tracked these short clips in like 2 takes. I left all the mistakes in and just played. I didn't want it to sound all "polished" so bare with the roughness of it. Thanks

Lastly, I feel this amp would shine with a single coil loaded guitar (which I don't currently own) It's a wonderful "not-so-known" Mesa amp and gets some terrific tones.

p.s. mine is for sale. :p

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=1006960&songID=8304327

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=1006960&songID=8304326

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=1006960
DSCN0253.jpg

Ive missed the last two combos of this amp on ebay for 700, bummed about that. what are you trying to get for it?

Tone sounds great, if the gain had just a little more oomph and could handle harder rock/metal, i would own one.

guitarzan1143 said:
Ive missed the last two combos of this amp on ebay for 700, bummed about that. what are you trying to get for it?

Tone sounds great, if the gain had just a little more oomph and could handle harder rock/metal, i would own one.

Thanks man. I normally use a BB Preamp pedal with it for the in-between sounds and to give the lead channel a bit more drive ala Andy Timmons. I didn't want to color the sounds of the amp though. I figured an acceptable effect on tracks like this would be delay. I didn't think it took away from the amp's sound or anything.

As for what I am asking for it... I paid $850. I have never seen a black head case for these amps before. I know you can simply re-tolex a regular beige one or order a new head case but then your in for the price of the amp + $100 to $300 more, and to me that just isn't worth the trouble. This amp came black like this from the Mesa factory so to me it's worth $850. (what I paid for it)

I was sitting directly in front of the speakers with the amp cranked so thats why you hear some squealing (feedback) between lead passages. I just left them in... I love the tone, but I need a 100 watt amp. That's why I got the Lonestar.

Back