Mark V with a 7 string?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vitor gracie

Reaction score
Anyone have any experience using a Mark V with a 7 string guitar? I am looking to do a lot more then just metal with it. I think taking the approach of Dave Weiner is the best. "You can do anything with a 7 that a 6 can do, but not the other way around." I play in a Black Gospel group that uses rock guitar and the guys in the group love my Dual Rec (TOV), but I want a more tonally versatile amplifier. I would use it for rock, jazz, fusion, R&B and of course, metal. Anyone using a 7 string let me know how the two pair together.

I'm going to run the Mark V through a slant Orange 4X12. I have played through a Mark V with my 6 and loved it. But I am just curious about it with a 7. JP can't be wrong... :)

thanks guys.

I've never had hands on experience with a 7 string through a Mark V--but I've heard that combo (with a JP7 guitar) plenty enough times live now to know it's freakin' awesome sounding. I wouldn't mind having that set up myself. And likewise, it would be used for everything from metal-jazz-fusion. I've played a 7 through my IIIs and it's beastly and beautiful. I just want a Mark V so I can have all the extra options without having the shared EQ of my IIIs. Someday--although, not in no rush. But yeah, would be nice to hear from any other experienced folks around here.

~Nep~

You'll be fine.

I screw around with my roommates 7-string Ibanez for fun and it has no problem handling the low B.

I'm using Caparison Angelus HGS with Drop-A tuning.
Mark V is absolutely great (tight & accurate) with low-tuned guitars,
even better than ENGL Powerball and Diezel Herbert that I've owned. :lol:

Mark V does 7 and 8 string beautifully!!!
The problem here is not the amp itself but the cab!!! You need to have good speakers and a good cab.
The Mark V does everything well... tonewise obviously :twisted:

Rkorn said:
Mark V does 7 and 8 string beautifully!!!
The problem here is not the amp itself but the cab!!! You need to have good speakers and a good cab.
The Mark V does everything well... tonewise obviously :twisted:

Well, everything that I have ever run in any tuning with any of my guitars has sounded fantastic through my Orange so that certainly won't be a problem. I did also consider getting a Port City 2X12 (the compact one) with Hellatone V-30s put in for a smaller cab set up. I fell in love with that cab in Nashville but hadn't heard a Mark V through it yet. I'm sure it'll sound great. I wouldn't run my 7-string or anything drop tuned through it though. It would just be to have the option of having a lightweight/smaller rig. The Orange 4X12 is for the 7-string.

I'm having a 7-string built from the ground up to my spec. I designed it and my dad (a fantastic wood worker) is going to build most of it. I have a Luthier doing the critical mesurement stuff like the nut, bridge placement, etc. It'll be hot! :) Heres a pic of the 7-string. I used to do a lot of graphic design work so making the image wasn't that hard. Getting it to spec is a little time consuming but almost finished.

Dig it.

Final7web.jpg

Btw, SUP NEP? :)

I was going for "classy but mean looking" as opposed to "metal-pointy-80s looking tribal skulls of doom" like all the other kid guitars that have 7 strings on them. lol

I would use it for rock, jazz, fusion, R&B and of course, metal. Anyone using a 7 string let me know how the two pair together.
i run 7s, a custom Ibanez and one i built myself, through a Mark V into a Recto vertical 2x12 with V30s.

i think it sounds great. i get plenty of clarity on the low B. for really high-gain sounds, palm-muted low B and C# and D aren't as tight as notes on the higher strings. the Extreme mode on channel 3 is the tightest for that; the Mark IV and Mark IIC+ modes are a little bit boomier, and of course the more you turn the gain down the tighter it gets. and the vertical Recto is boomier than the horizontal one (i don't know about Orange cabs). so as long as you don't want Meshuggah sort of super rhythm tightness from all the modes, i think you'll be fine.

I was actually thinking of using the 2nd channel for tight rhythms and the 3rd for the Mark IIC+ lead tones. It sounded full and clear (a little creamy) but good for fusion type leads. I have my TOV for all the chunky Djent stuff and it does fine for that. The Mark was more for like an all around swiss army knife. I do tune my low "B" to an "A" so I can re-enforce all the extended chords like 11s and stuff, but wasn't planning to use it for chugging on this amp. I guess, think of like a good pop record with fair amounts of guitar. That would be how I'd use the Mark.

Thanks for all the input...I think ultimately I just need to lug my crappy Schecter 7 down to a Mesa dealer and use that to see how the tones are. He is a MM dealer too but it's unlikely he'll have a JP7 in (although he gets the 6 strings in regularly-they are great guitars for most things) My Schecter has a Crunch Lab and a Rio Grand Tall Boy single coil in it, so the pickups are great, but I just think there is no comparison from a foreign made basswood body, to a USA made solid chunk of 150+ year old Mahogany guitar. It'll be hard to hear through that. When comparing my Warrior 6 to the Schecter. I think I just need to trust my gut and pull the trigger on the Mark V. A good friend that plays lead guitar live for a multi platinum artist once told me you can never go wrong with a Mark amp. I should listen to him. :)

Hey, man---wuzzup!? 8)

Bottom line--I think you'll be wicked happy with a Mark V and a 7 string. It's just one of those amps that does everything so good. For what you play, it's gonna be hot!

Your custom built guitar looks pretty sexy, man! I would love to see some final pics of that baby!

vitor gracie said:
A good friend that plays lead guitar live for a multi platinum artist once told me you can never go wrong with a Mark amp. I should listen to him. :)

That's a smart dude right there! :lol:

~Nep~

Latest posts

Back