Mark V vs. Lone Stars

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GeoBull

Reaction score
I have a Lone Star 'Classic', Lone Star Special, and an '84 Mkiic+. I also have a Dr. Z Maz 38 Sr which I never use and am going to sell. Would love some opinions on possible things to do:

-Keep what I got; Mark V doesn't add anything
-Sell the Dr. Z pony up some extra money: get a Mark V (tough one to run past my wife)
-Sell the Dr. Z, sell one of the Lone Stars (which one?): get a Mark V (probably a no extra money required deal)
-Sell the Dr. Z, sell both Lone Stars (theory = who needs 'em if I get a Mark V): get a Mark V (and pocket some money)

Something else?

Thanks in advance.

You can cover a wide range of sounds with all of those amps, but the Mark V can cover more or less the same wide range of sounds by itself. So, if you're happy with using that many amps, I'd stay keep what you've got. If you'd like the same versatility out of one amp, sell (most of) the rest and get the V.

I say sell Dr. Z and sell one of your lonestars.

Do you gig a lot, or are you a bed room musician? If you are a hobbiest I suggest you sell the higher wattage lonestar due to the fact I don't think you could ever use the full capacity of the 100 watts.. Along with the Dr. Z.

My dream rig is my Mark V A/B'd with a lonestar. Running those two in stereo would be beyond phenomenal!

That's my vote at least.

Today I played a Mark V. It was an impressively versatile amp. However, I didn't find a clean as good as either Lone Star. This may have been because I have the LSC 2x12 and the MV 1x12 combo can't match the depth of the two speakers. And the LSS is EL-84 so it really is a different beast than the MV. So other than the very nice overdriven sounds on the MV I'm not sure.

Then I tried a Fender Blues Junior 1x12 Tweed. Wow, what an amp. I was stunned.

GeoBull said:
Today I played a Mark V. It was an impressively versatile amp. However, I didn't find a clean as good as either Lone Star. This may have been because I have the LSC 2x12 and the MV 1x12 combo can't match the depth of the two speakers. And the LSS is EL-84 so it really is a different beast than the MV. So other than the very nice overdriven sounds on the MV I'm not sure.

I have both a 2x12 LSC and a MK V Head (and use to have the V combo)....

I run my Mark V Head with the 2x12 combo using a head switcher...and I have to say that initially I thought the LSC cleans were better (when I had the combo). But the Mark V cleans are actually better...The V sounds sooo much better out of a multi-speaker cab vs the 1x12.

GeoBull said:

I own the LS and mark V and use them via a head switcher . I agree with you . I find the LS has a better clean sound .

Sell the Dr. Z, and the LSC. The LSS has a cool sound with the EL84 tubes and a GZ34 recto, and it's loose, thick grind would pair well with the V's tight, open lead.

One thing when judging the clean on the Mark V, the louder you have the amp, the better and cleaner it sounds.

Leave it to Mesa.

I used Lone Star classics & specials for a long time, and liked them a lot. Never could get quite the gain I wanted from them, but the overall tone was worth it. Once I got a Mark V, it was instantly it for me. I definately even like the clean channel 1 better on the V. It has the rich, creamy quality that I loved with the Lone Stars, with all the gain you need, plus huge versatility, and the added cool Mark flavor/tone as well.

get a LSC . Its the best clean channel of any mesa amp . I have the Mark V and the LSC . The LSC is one of the best Mesa amps .

BluesRock said:
I used Lone Star classics & specials for a long time, and liked them a lot. Never could get quite the gain I wanted from them, but the overall tone was worth it. Once I got a Mark V, it was instantly it for me. I definately even like the clean channel 1 better on the V. It has the rich, creamy quality that I loved with the Lone Stars, with all the gain you need, plus huge versatility, and the added cool Mark flavor/tone as well.

I agree on every point. I just sold my LSC, and (just) bought a MKV. The cleans on the MKV are superior to the LSC, IMHO. The overdrive is tighter and more plentiful, and R2; well, there is nothing to compare it with on the LS, so...
I would sell the LSC, sell one of the Z's, and buy a MKV, a Thiele, and an attenuator.

You also have to remember that the mark series takes a little more to dial in than the lonestar series. You can't just put everything at noon and expect it to sound the same. I don't see any reason you can't get a killer clean tone out of the mark v with a little experimentation. If you think it's the dual speakers consider an extra 1x12 cabinet. I just use the express series 1x12, it's the exact footprint of the mark v so it stacks perfectly, it's fairly light and sounds great. I like this arrangement, I only lug it around if I think it's necessary. If you're judicious, you may only need the mark v... Works for many of us on here, I would keep the IIC+ though, just as a collector piece.

I didn't read all of the other posts, so forgive me if someone else already said this. I would keep the Special because of it's EL84 power section. The Mark V gives you the flexibility to get your 6L6 or EL34 kick. Between the two, you have a wide range of tones at your disposal.

Latest posts

Back