Mark V... the Ultimate Amp?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hendog said:
The guys that say that thier Mark IV is better are the same ones that have owned that Mark IV for years and years and have not only tweaked it to perfection (for thier ears) but also become very comfortable with the sound.

Then they plug into a Mark V, put it in "Mark IV" mode and cant figure out why it's not EXACTLY like thier real Mark IV.

Spend some time with the Mark V and most people will agree that it is an all around better amp.

Wow. Us MKIV owners must be idiots. It's spelled "their" BTW.

THTH said:
Hendog said:
The guys that say that thier Mark IV is better are the same ones that have owned that Mark IV for years and years and have not only tweaked it to perfection (for thier ears) but also become very comfortable with the sound.

Then they plug into a Mark V, put it in "Mark IV" mode and cant figure out why it's not EXACTLY like thier real Mark IV.

Spend some time with the Mark V and most people will agree that it is an all around better amp.

I really don't think he meant it that way. I think he's just sayin', it would be safe to assume that if you own a Mark IV, which requires a lot of tweaking, and sounds not so good with typical settings, can sound amazing once you learn how to dial it in. So the Mark V falls under the same.

MusicManJP6 said:
Heritage Softail said:
One of the best things about having a nice tube amp is being able to swap tubes and feel like you can trade Scarlett Johansen in for Megan Fox for a while, then trade back or get some NOS tubes and have Jennifer Love Hewitt..... Now those are some nice tubes.... :mrgreen:

I like it! :mrgreen:

This may have just changed my outlook on life

Heritage Softail said:
If the only tool you have is a MKV, every problem looks like an excuse to jam out for a few hours.....

Seriously, with those 6L6 Winged C's in there, I am having a love affair with Tweed in Bold. It is Blackfoot Highway Song resurrected!!!! 8). One of the best things about having a nice tube amp is being able to swap tubes and feel like you can trade Scarlett Johansen in for Megan Fox for a while, then trade back or get some NOS tubes and have Jennifer Love Hewitt..... Now those are some nice tubes.... :mrgreen:

See, now ya'll are getting it! "Tu-Be, or not Tu-Be" (By the way I'll take Kate Beckinsale in my V1)

But there are eleven spaces available, so there's no need for anyone to be left out!

We are still talking about guitar amps right? Cause all of a sudden, I'm starting to feel like alot Tiger! (and I'm alittle nervous, cause there's a golf club here, HA!)

THTH said:
Hendog said:

Wow. What the hell is your problem?

It's my first amp with 3 channels and I love it.

I especially like switching to channel 2 for the classic rock tones, rather than tweaking the settings on the high gain channel or rolling back on my volume pot. And the clean channel has the most acoustic sounding, chimey cleans I have ever had pleasure of playing. As much as I love the high gain stuff, channel 1 is the dark horse on this amp.

It wasn't love at first listen, but after being patient and dialing things in, it's my favorite piece of gear. Sorry, PRS :(

When I get up early to practice I don't fire up the MKV or REC. Use a little solid state modeling POS amp. It is OK for what it is, but in a funny way I enjoy getting off work and cranking a real amp that much more.

On the MKV tone, anyone found a use for EDGE mode in Ch2? I can't find a personal use or tone to cover with it.

Peace...

[/quote]

Your post is presumptuous, impertinent, and unsubstantiated. :mrgreen:[/quote]

I dont really want to get into it with you because you are clearly bias and over emotional, but how the f was my post "impertinent"?

Hendog said:

After owning a IV for a while now and playing around with the V at my friends place I can say that the IV mode is just about spot on if your IV is set up to match the V. I know that doesn't make much sense. If the IV has an adjustable range of say 1-100 then the V in IV mode can do everything in between 40-60. So if you are used to playing your IV in that 40-60 range then the V will sound like your old amp.

I want a Roadster so bad I can taste it.

I can only imagine my Mark V on "Extreme" and my Roadster on "Modern" in STEREO!!!!

Hey Hendog

I have em both, MarkV and Roadster. Its pretty nice... :)

I use em with the G System in Stereo, very very sweet.

Go buy a Roadster ....

Joe

ryjan said:
Hendog said:

After owning a IV for a while now and playing around with the V at my friends place I can say that the IV mode is just about spot on if your IV is set up to match the V. I know that doesn't make much sense. If the IV has an adjustable range of say 1-100 then the V in IV mode can do everything in between 40-60. So if you are used to playing your IV in that 40-60 range then the V will sound like your old amp.

I think that is a fair and accurate description.

joe187 said:
I want a Roadster so bad I can taste it.

I can only imagine my Mark V on "Extreme" and my Roadster on "Modern" in STEREO!!!!

Hey Hendog

I have em both, MarkV and Roadster. Its pretty nice... :)

I use em with the G System in Stereo, very very sweet.

Go buy a Roadster ....

Joe

Thats so sick I cant even imagine.

Do you always run them in stereo or do you use them individually for different purposes as well? Tell me more!

JOEY B. said:
Hendog said:

Interesting points that you make. I know EXACTLY why some people make those comments. There are some features that MESA felt that they needed to delete from the Mark V versus the C+ and Mark IV. This was a business decision on the basis of cost and the desire to keep the new amp easy for the "newcomer" to the Mark series to dial in. I think it was a great move on their part, as it allowed them to sell more amps. I can't count the stories that I've heard about the Mark IV being hard to dial in. If you are a seasoned Mark series user, as I am, the Mark I mode on the Mark V was very easy to dial in. Some of the first guys to get the Mark V became very frustrated with the Mark I mode. It just took a little explaining of how the tone stack signal chain differs from the later amps. The Mark V offers a different version of tweaking (modes, wattage, and Variac) than the push-pulls of yesteryear, and a better reverb, for sure. For a gigging amp used to cover a multitude of styles, the Mark V is hard to beat. In the studio though, the vintage amps will reign supreme. You just might need 3 or 4 of them to get to all the sweet spots of your tone. :wink: To each their own. All that talk about an "exact" replica of the C+ circuit in the Mark V manual, I will have to agree to disagree about.

I don't think the Mk IV mode is an exact replica either. I love the Mark V, but the tone and feel of the lead channel in the Mk IV just seems beefier to me. It could be the 420's, I guess.

My first Mesa was a MIV. I don't recall it ever sounding as good as the V's IV mode. It's been 2 years since I've owned the IV, but a friend used to have a IV so I've heard one a few times over the last year or so. Anyway, without having a IV here to compare I'm pretty darn happy with the V's CH3!

I just got mine two weeks ago and really digging it. using it through a Diezel Front loaded cab with V30's and ESP custom Explorers.

Really gives my VH4(s) a run for my money. Love the clean I on CH 1 and is crystal....just gotta really watch that gain knob and it will dirty IMO a little fast so I use the master all the way up and use the gain for volume. CH 3 is sick. Love the Extreme setting best so far. But then again I still have plenty of tweaking to do and see if I can get my self to like IIC+ and the IV mode as I may like them better....so who knows. CH2 I still have been tweaking and can't really get the MKI tone everyone talks about but I will. Reverbs are real nice. So I sold my VH4 and keeping my VH4S as I love it and love it's Midi control (plus keeping 2 cabs spread a part it sounds sick with delay, chorus etc.). Plus 6 loops. That what bugs me about the Boogie heads is (I have said it before on another thread) that they boast 9 amps in one.....but you really can only use 3 at a time. I wish they made it Midi or with a longer foot switch to change modes on the fly. Also with loops for each channel would be cool as I used to that in my VH4. Good job Mesa!

Back