Mark V sound dropping out.

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

firmani99

Reaction score
I purchased a use (in perfect condition) Mark V and when I am playing sometimes the sound drops to almost nothing. Like I have the volume all the way down. Putting it in standby for a few seconds sometimes solves the problem for a little while. If that doesn't work then I stick a cable into the effects return and pull it back out and it works for a little bit. Cable is not connected to anything else when I insert then remove it. Any ideas? I have also noticed that one 6l6 is glowing blue, when I put it in standby the blue goes away but the heaters are still lit. Blue comes back as soon as I take it out of standby but before I play anything. Think it could be tubes?

firmani99 said:
I purchased a use (in perfect condition) Mark V and when I am playing sometimes the sound drops to almost nothing. Like I have the volume all the way down. Putting it in standby for a few seconds sometimes solves the problem for a little while. If that doesn't work then I stick a cable into the effects return and pull it back out and it works for a little bit. Cable is not connected to anything else when I insert then remove it. Any ideas? I have also noticed that one 6l6 is glowing blue, when I put it in standby the blue goes away but the heaters are still lit. Blue comes back as soon as I take it out of standby but before I play anything. Think it could be tubes?

rule of thumb...always have new tubes for any used tube amp you purchased. Like a home without any light bulbs at your disposal.

You know what to do next.

Good call.

I definitely am going to replace the tubes I was just wondering if this was a known non tube issue. That being said though....what kind of tubes are you guys using? I noticed dougs tubes doesn't have a mark v kit on his website.

Don't worry about the tubes glowing blue. That's not a problem.

I agree with a full retube. Many times, the cost you save in buying used just brings you back to the costs of immediate regular tube maintenance. I purchased TAD power tubes from Dougs, and they worked well. I also purchased a bunch of Tung Sols for the preamp and an EH rectifier. No perceived tonal differences.

Write to Doug, he'll hook you right up...

Latest posts

Back