Mark V odd behaviour with Ibanez AF2 flanger

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benson

Reaction score
Following on from another thread, I'm getting my Mark V set up with my board and I've discovered something odd with it working in conjunction with my Ibanez AF2 Paul Gilbert flanger pedal.

Some of you may know, the pedal goes in front of the amp and has two functions. The first is a regular flanger and the second is Paul's famous '"takeoff" gimmick where it imitates a flange infused whammy effect, which is engaged with the second button - great fun when used appropriately and guaranteed to annoy the drummer.

The regular flange works great, the problem is the takeoff function seems to engage at two or three times louder than it should. Now, if I were troubleshooting this from afar I'd assume it was a pedal setup problem but the pedal works fine in every other amp I've tried. Marshall JVM410, Engl Steve Morse and even in front of my Pod X3 Live into my Mac. It only exhibits this behaviour when plugged in to the Mark V. Tried it with the MkV loop hard bypassed, same power supply, same cables, same guitar.

Its worth mentioning that I believe the take-off effect simply generates a signature tone and that it doesn't take any input from the guitar. If you engage it and then close the guitars volume control the effect with continue until you shut it off.

Has anyone got any experience of this pedal and the MkV ?

Tony

are you doing this on the clean channel? is there an internal trim pot in the flanger? what other pedals are you running

I went back and had another look at this it it seems to only happen on the clean channel - overdriven channels work as expected. The theory is mirrored with another amp so its nothing to do with the MarkV.

Cheers,
Tony

Latest posts

Back