mark v gives me major sad face

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nomad100hd

Reaction score
So after almost 3 weeks i'm still not happy with the mark and since my option to return is coming up i'm going to return it despite the restock fee. i'm confused i read review after review and not found one negative review. I just don't understand what i'm doing wrong, maybe my ears are to sensitive. Compared to my rm100 the mark v disappointing, my main complaint about the rm100 is it's weight.

Today I found a decent but not amazing setting for channel 3 extreme, then found i can replicate it with my tread plate module and a graphics in the loop. channel 2 crunch is not dynamic enough i need to be able to go from cleanish to pretty overdriven with pick attack. Channel 1's tweed mode amazing, though not as thick as my tweed module. Over all the amp is boxy and small sounding, the graphics can over come this but their is only one.

Other issues i can't change out the tubes without voiding warranty. I stopped using all JJ pretubes a yr ago because they sound like their is a blanket over my tone, this amp defiantly lacks clarity. The power tubes don't mount flush into the tube sockets, meaning i can seem their metal prongs. The foot switch is way to easy to unplug if you step on the chord, and could be disastrous at a show. After the amp warms up channel 3 becomes noisy. The Serial loop not 100% wet, so when i ran out of it into my computer for silent practicing it wasn't silent. The slave out did not sound very good for practicing with thru my computer, with speaker sim of course.

Sorry to hear you're not digging the MKV. While my Roadster is my preferred amp, I would never part with my MKV, and find many great tones in it (for me and my playing) in all 3 channels and modes.

It sounds like (for now) the Randall is what you like, that's great that you find a tone you really like. If it works, don't fix it LOL.

You didn't mention if the MKV is a combo or head & cab. Have you tried the amp thru a good 4X12, or is that impractical for you. For me, the MKV thru my Recto 4X12 sounds huge, much better than through the Avatar Vintage (oversized) 2X12s.

Good luck with your tone quest!

Dom

I have a recto 2x12 and a wide body ported. A 4x12 not practical at all, I wouldn't even have a way to transport it.

I found the Mark V to sound really boxy and small through the Widebody cabs. All mids and no bottom end. They sound very good with a full band since they stay in the middle, but I don't like playing through them at home due to the overall lack of fullness.

Through a Recto 2x12 I've had no issues making it sound big.

I feel your pain about the JJs. I replaced the V1 preamp tube with a Tung Sol on day one. I've found over time that so long as the first tube isn't a JJ the blanket isn't on the tone.

I don't think that Crunch mode is designed to do what you're trying to do with it. Mark's by their nature are compressed amps... it's why they sing when people play leads through them. To me, Crunch mode sounds like a tweaked version of IIC+ with reduced gain and the mids notched for rhythm. I'd have to go try it myself to confirm, but I don't think you're going to find the dynamic range you're looking for in that mode.

IMO, it sounds like you're trying to make the Mark V sound like a Recto... which is pretty much a waste of time since it isn't a Recto. Recto's are a sledgehammer. Marks are a precision medical instrument. If you get the chance to run that Mark V with a band those honky mids will make sense, but if you're just playing it at home and trying to dial in big Recto style sounds you're just going to get frustrated.

What about the power tubes? I was just playing had a decent sound with extream mode with my 2x12 then cranked it and the amp go loose and ratty for lack of a Better term. Extream mode seemed less compressed than crunch. I do like the tightness over the looser recto bottom.

I like el34 tubes and tung sol 12s. Keep the stock tubes and put them back in for warranty work....

But I think volume fixes most of the tonal issues with what I feel is the boxy sound of most Mesa amps I have owned, when playing at low volume. My MKIIC likes it loud to get some fur on channel 1 to my satisfaction. IMO the MKV is 90% as good as the originals it is trying to model. Not bad when you think about it.

But it has no Rectifier mode. You just need a cheap used rec to go with it!

nomad100hd said:
What about the power tubes? I was just playing had a decent sound with extream mode with my 2x12 then cranked it and the amp go loose and ratty for lack of a Better term. Extream mode seemed less compressed than crunch. I do like the tightness over the looser recto bottom.

I like the stock 6L6s. I ran EL34s for awhile (Mesa/EHX and Winged =C=) and liked them too, but they recess a certain part of the midrange that I really like and bring another part forward. That, and I've found that the power reduction features (variac and triode) work a lot better with 6L6s. If you stay on full power all the time it's basically win/win either way as you can't go wrong with either tube selection.

I don't use Extreme mode much so I went upstairs to try it and I didn't have an issue to getting it to hold it's own against the Recto. Basically kept my regular Mark IV settings and turned the preset EQ up to 12:00.

I don't know if this helps or not, but here's the settings I used (master output around 11:30);

7467938022_643eb5dafd_z.jpg

I put in JJ EL34's and TS across. It sounded so different that my wife in another room could hear it. Better ch 3 and worse ch 2. Very opinion based thing. I have not changed one pretube at a time. Others seem to hear slight nuance more than I do.

It is a Mesa. Has that vibe. Sometimes I like it, sometimes it's 5153 or Uberschall. I have always liked the MKV, just never loved it. If you gotta have an amp you are floored by the tone, it just may not be for you. Return it. Tubes won't fix that.

I wanted to love a Roadster. Maybe I don't know how to dial it in right.

Good luck on your tone quest!

JJ ECC83s (the current stock Mesa 12AX7) are generally solid with a lot of midrange but a tendency to sound dull. Some people like them because they tame treble frequencies... other's hate them because it sounds like there's a wet blanket over their cab.

The Tung Sol 12AX7 is brighter and higher gain. Some people find it produces more definition and clarity... others find it harsh and brittle.

I've been using a Tung Sol in the V1 with stock JJs in the remainder.

I wouldn't recommend retubing the whole preamp when you're on the fence about keeping it. I'd stick to changing the V1 to see if you like the change as the V1 has the largest influence on the overall sound. That way if you still don't like the results you're only out a minor expense.

nomad100hd said:
Can I ask what kind of guitar and pickups you use?

Les Paul - Gibson Burstbucker 1 & 2
Les Paul - Gibson P90s
Les Paul - Lollar Imperials
SG - Gibson 57 Classics
Explorer = EMG 60 & 81

The first Les Paul was the one I used earlier today if it makes a difference.

Which pickups seem to be most compatable with the amp. What's the tonal difference wbetween the emg 81 and p90's? I'm considering putting prails in one of my guitars.

nomad100hd said:
Which pickups seem to be most compatable with the amp. What's the tonal difference wbetween the emg 81 and p90's? I'm considering putting prails in one of my guitars.

All of the pickups work fine and I wouldn't consider any to be "better" than the other since they all serve a purpose.

The EMG 81 is a bright pickup that slices through a lot of gain with clarity. Very percussive sounding when riffing.

P90s are a single coil pickup. I could describe the sound, but it won't make sense until you try one. Lets just say that it has lots of top and bottom end, yet has a very strong midrange.

screamingdaisy said:
nomad100hd said:

I like the stock 6L6s. I ran EL34s for awhile (Mesa/EHX and Winged =C=) and liked them too, but they recess a certain part of the midrange that I really like and bring another part forward. That, and I've found that the power reduction features (variac and triode) work a lot better with 6L6s. If you stay on full power all the time it's basically win/win either way as you can't go wrong with either tube selection.

I don't use Extreme mode much so I went upstairs to try it and I didn't have an issue to getting it to hold it's own against the Recto. Basically kept my regular Mark IV settings and turned the preset EQ up to 12:00.

I don't know if this helps or not, but here's the settings I used (master output around 11:30);

7467938022_643eb5dafd_z.jpg

I tried this setting and I liked it too. Except I turned off the bright switch.
Do you usually use the preset EQ on all the channels instead of the Graphic?

Yeah I took a minute and tried sounded really good if I had the tungsol in there I bet it would have been perfect. I just had to turn up the highs a little.

flimz said:
I tried this setting and I liked it too. Except I turned off the bright switch.
Do you usually use the preset EQ on all the channels instead of the Graphic?

With channels 1 and 2 I generally leave the EQ off, but I leave each channel on preset and zero the knob just incase I bump something.

I have had a similar, and highly frustrating, love / hate relationship with CH3 in the V. CH1 Tweed is excellent, and I could work with MK1 / Crunch modes in CH2, but could never get CH3 where I wanted it to go

The key for me was going back to 6L6's (I am a confirmed EL34 =C= fan in other amps I have / had), and TURNING UP THE OUTPUT MASTER above 10:30. Channel master at 9 am as shown in SD's settings shot

Only then did CH3 started to make sense to me, from mild gain to full bore roar. I also found the preset EQ responds better with 6L6 under the hood, and is a great ally in getting closer to the sound you want out of the V

The suggestions and experience of SD and others on this board has been most valuable along the way. As with all Mesa's I have owned, time invested in understanding these instruments is worth the eventual rewards. The V has proved the biggest challenge, but well worth the pain

Sorry to hear that the MkV isn't working for you.
I've owned mine for 3 years and absolutely love it!
Best of luck in finding your tone.

Is the general consensus to run channel masters lower and main master higher? Is the benifit clarity, brighter?

Latest posts

Back