Mark V combo channel 1 headroom

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benson

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I recently purchased a Mark V combo and am just integrating it into my rig and trying to get the clean channel set up. I want to use it for clear funk rhythms plus shimmering clean arpeggios.

The tone is there and with my MXR compressor out front I can get the funk but even with the guitar directly into the front, no pedals, there seems to be a very slight distortion above the fundamental notes. I'm set the channel and mode to clean, I'm on 90w mode for maximum headroom and have the master set to noon and the gain about 9 o'clock. If I set the gain any lower then I can't get decent volume out of the amp.

I've tried a number of different guitars; USA strat with kinmans, PRS 513 in 'strat' mode, Suhr modern in middle/neck split mode but there still seems to be grit on the cleanest of settings.

Anyone have any suggestions ?

Cheers,
Tony

benson said:
Hi guys,

I recently purchased a Mark V combo and am just integrating it into my rig and trying to get the clean channel set up. I want to use it for clear funk rhythms plus shimmering clean arpeggios.

The tone is there and with my MXR compressor out front I can get the funk but even with the guitar directly into the front, no pedals, there seems to be a very slight distortion above the fundamental notes. I'm set the channel and mode to clean, I'm on 90w mode for maximum headroom and have the master set to noon and the gain about 9 o'clock. If I set the gain any lower then I can't get decent volume out of the amp.

I've tried a number of different guitars; USA strat with kinmans, PRS 513 in 'strat' mode, Suhr modern in middle/neck split mode but there still seems to be grit on the cleanest of settings.

Cheers,
Tony

low treble & mid settings will cut back the gain

I'm also having trouble with this.

The headroom is there, but I have to turn the output up an then ch3 is LOUD.

phyrexia said:
Hendog said:

Then turn down your Ch3 master!

I'm assuming that anyone who knows about the Mark V (or most other tube amps) understands that the channel "master" needs to be turned to a certain point in order to get the proper sound or "tone" as some of you would say from the given channel.

Really? What is the "proper" tone?

If you bypassed the effects loop then the output master and solo would be out of the loop and you would have to turn your channel masters down, below the "proper" levels to achieve the same output as with the output and solo engaged.
Why would Mesa even allow us to turn down below that point if it's not proper?

Seriously, the only thing I have really found the channel master does, despite the mystic claims, is to raise and lower the volume, just like the manual says it does. Nothing more nothing less. So I say go ahead and use it as it is intended to be used - to balance the volume levels between the three channels.

As far as getting the clean shimmering tone on Channel one... there are alot of factors that go into it... pick ups and their height, as mentioned treb and mid also seem to be gain stages... so try the gain, treb and mid at 10:00 max and see what happens ....

Hendog said:

low output pups seem to be the recipe for this channel to get clean shimmering tones.

For sparkling cleans I use the Master up a lot and use the gain as my volume. Fat and clean mode sound the best to me.

sean106alcon said:
For sparkling cleans I use the Master up a lot and use the gain as my volume. Fat and clean mode sound the best to me.

+1

I have hot pups and they distorted every clean channel on every amp I have tried, but somehow the V can "read" more frecuencies than the rest..lowering the gain, and using the master at 5:30 (full) you get really clean tones even in bold mode, but tweed can get a little distorted as its was made to do that (fuzz tone)..anyway, watchout the prescence and treble and of course de output level, for me its the best way to level all the 3 channels..

Oh, btw..the master pot its another gain stage, and it can be well hear between ch2 and ch3, lowering the output and raising the ch3 master gets compressed, and the ch2 gets LOUD..

cheers

benson said:
Hi guys,

Cheers,
Tony

Hey Tony ... sounds like You & I have exactly the same tastes in music
thus are going for exactly the same sound (I have youtube up in the Lonestar section if you're curious ..)
I would have have purchase the Mark V if I couldn't hav max headroom for those same kind of clean tones you speak of ...

Turn down all mids... turn global Master as high as possible at ALL times..
Turn Clean channel Master up almost all the way (do not use Tweed setting ever ..)

Latest posts

Back