Mark V and GCX

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joe187

Reaction score
Hey Y'all - if you are using a Mark V with a GCX switcher and pedal, how did you get it to work? With the absence of direct control for Channel One, how do you set it up so that hitting button one takes you to channel one, button 2 to 2, etc? I want the 5 Boogie functions (3 channels, EQ on/off, Solo on/off) that are offered on the rear of the Mark always in the same pedals on the GCX. Then I want to be able to switch to midi controlled channels in an Xpression with the balance of the channels. It can't be that hard to do, but I am scratchingt my head a lot at this...

TIA

Joe

I don't have a Mark V yet, but I do have a GCX. Channel 1 is selected by default when Channel 2 and 3 are off. So you're going to run Channel 2 to say GCX loop2 and Channel 3 to GCX loop 3.

One way to do is to program your channel 1 presets to turn loops 2 and 3 off.

I don't think you can program an instant access button for this though. Can anyone confirm what I'm saying?

However, assuming you assign IA buttons 2 and 3 to loops 2 and 3, then every time you turn them both off, channel 1 will be selected by default.

I actually found the answer - pretty easy actually. I had never programmed a GCX before. The manuals are not exactly clear (nice device but maybe the worst owners manual I have ever seen...). Just program loop 1 for no loops on, loop 2 for just loop 2, loop 3 for just loop 3, etc. You can also ad in EQ on any of them by turning on the loop you have the EQ connected to. Solo as well. Then you can go back and add in whatever MIDI commands you want to send with each preset as well.

For multiple tones I will just set Bank 2 to be the same, but then have it control my Xpression to switch patches, or use any of the unused loops to bring in foot pedals, etc.

I still have a bunch of work to do, but it actually works quite nicely and I am pretty psyched.

The only issue I have found is it appears that it brings in the channel 3 popping issue, which had been absent on this amp. I have it bad on my Roadster, but it was so nice to have quiet switching with the Mark V. Seems like its back with the GCX. Anybody have a guess why?

JB

So what happened to the reverb and fx loop external switching jacks on the Mark V?

Well - there is no way to control them from the GCX, but if you think about it, the GCX is your FX loop, so it means you just leave the loop on the Boogie in the "On" position for all channels and then decide what is in it (if anything) for the patch you have on at that moment. As far as the reverb goes, I just turned the reverb pots on the back all the way off, and use the Xpression to provide reverb if I want it. It has better reverb anyway...

Here is what voodoo lab confirmed is the proper set up and their email back to me:

You don't need to switch channel 1 actively, which means you don't need
to dedicate a loop to channel 1. Channel 1 is the default state for the
Mark V. This means that if you do not select channel 2 or 3, 1 is on.
The diagram you are using is otherwise perfect.
Diagram:

http://www.voodoolab.com/gcxdiagrams/03-Wireless_Pedals_3chAmpSw.pdf

sean106alcon said:
Here is what voodoo lab confirmed is the proper set up and their email back to me:

Diagram:

That diagram shows the GCX turning the loop on and off. The Mark V doesn't have external loop switching does it?

You can switch the verb, loop and volume boost remotely with the right kit. I use a Mini Amp Gizmo and it can do everything the Mesa footswitch can do, just via MIDI.

Tofty said:
You can switch the verb, loop and volume boost remotely with the right kit. I use a Mini Amp Gizmo and it can do everything the Mesa footswitch can do, just via MIDI.

Did you have to buy the extra $70 cable to make it work?

Is there any lag when changing channels?

SonVolt said:
sean106alcon said:

Diagram:

That diagram shows the GCX turning the loop on and off. The Mark V doesn't have external loop switching does it?

No, it doesn't. So, you would hook the FX loop up to the GCX like in THIS diagram:

http://www.voodoolab.com/gcxdiagrams/01-Pedals_FXloop_AmpSw.pdf

So, on the Mark V, the FX loop would always be active, but you would be activating or deactivating it with the GCX (in the diagram example, it's Loop #5).

Latest posts

Back