Mark V 90 combo purchase: used or new?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Should I buy a Mark V 90 combo new or used?

• It's not worth the money saved; buy new.

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • Save some money if you can; buy used.

Votes: 7 77.8%

• Total voters

Beery Swine

Reaction score
Right, so this is a really simple question that should have really complex answers. I wanna buy a Mark V 90 watt combo and would like all your advices on whether I should buy it used for a good deal or just plunk down the extra cash for a brand new one. I'm sure most of you have had Mark IIs, IIIs, IVs, and Vs before, along with all the other varied Mesa amps, so what has been your experiences with any glitches and defects after, say, 7 or so years of using one? Also, I'm just a guitar hobbyist, so this future amp of mine will pretty much stay in the same condition I buy it in, apart from the inevitable tube replacements.

I don't know how often this topic is brought up, but hopefully this can also be helpful to anyone in the future with a similar question.

Update: After conversing with some others in the vintage section and listening to comparison videos, I decided to buy an old Mark IV shortbody combo instead. Jesus, it sounds great, I love all 3 channels. Clean, hard rock, heavy metal: channel 3 is pretty easy to dial in some Black Album sound, once you get the hang of what all the push/pulls do. Plus I've been looking at a few pics of James' Mark IIC++ heads to see how he sets them. Once you hear each setting, it's easy to say "hey, that's Puppets" or "that's the song they play at football stadiums all the time".

So, as cool as all the bells and whistles on the V are, the third channel just doesn't have the two gain knobs, each one adding a different type of distortion tone, or all the push/pulls. I appreciate all the advice I got from both this thread and the one in the vintage section. You guys are awesome.

Part of what you're paying for with a Mesa amp is it is close to bulletproof. They are made to be toured with but many people buy them and plunk them in their "studio" (den/office) and they rarely leave that room. People run into problems from time to time, but the odds are good you wont have much trouble with something only a few years old. The Mark V ended up being wildly popular and Mesa sold a lot of them. There are some really good deals out there. Find a clean one used and save a lot of money. It's slower, but if you're asking I'd guess you are looking to safely save a few bucks.

I may be the only dissenting voice, but that's fine. I prefer to buy new, because for me the peace of mind is worth it. It's entirely possible to get a solid used unit, or a new lemon right off the production line, but I prefer for my major gear purchases to know the history of the item. It's my warranty, and I know exactly what conditions the device has been kept in, and how it's been handled after I take possession. I'm willing to take the hit in initial cost to get that peace of mind, but you may not be.

Monstercastle said:
I may be the only dissenting voice, but that's fine. I prefer to buy new, because for me the peace of mind is worth it. It's entirely possible to get a solid used unit, or a new lemon right off the production line, but I prefer for my major gear purchases to know the history of the item. It's my warranty, and I know exactly what conditions the device has been kept in, and how it's been handled after I take possession. I'm willing to take the hit in initial cost to get that peace of mind, but you may not be.
I'm considering buying used from what I'm pretty sure is the Petaluma Mesa factory, idk if that changes your vote or not. This one's from 2009, and says it's been inspected by the Mesa factory.

Beery Swine said:
Monstercastle said:
I'm considering buying used from what I'm pretty sure is the Petaluma Mesa factory, idk if that changes your vote or not. This one's from 2009, and says it's been inspected by the Mesa factory.

That would explain a few things, as well as limit what I would have written. But I would agree with Monstercastle otherwise.

I would sit it on top of one of the front ported widebody cabs. I had a mark IV combo on top of one, and the tone was fantabulous. I have a V head now on top of a road King 412.

primeholy said:
I would sit it on top of one of the front ported widebody cabs. I had a mark IV combo on top of one, and the tone was fantabulous. I have a V head now on top of a road King 412.

I agree about the widebody cab. Very big sounding 112.

I did not answer your question in full faith, as for glitches and problems with the Mark V, you can search my posts as I have had many issues.

Primary issue: bias on center pair of power tubes. Bias is set too hot and based on component tolerances the center pair will run close to red plating. I would suspect that this is the reason why the amp sounded so brittle and ice picky. My first experiences with the amp was power tube failure in less than 2 months of use. There were not many tubes I could use in this amp, Mesa tubes would have a very short life, SED tubes were the only tubes I found that did not red plate. Issue seemed to be associated with the 45W mode vs 90W. The screen resistors did me a favor when the split down the center. Carbon comp resistors either quality of manufacture or due to heat cycles would be the assumption for the failure. When the Svetlana Electron Devices decided to stop manufacturing for the consumer market, I had not choice but to mod the bias circuit just to prevent red plating. Only changed it by a few mV. Now I can use the Mesa STR440 tubes without issue. After that, I can actually use the treble control and presence on all my channels. Before, I hat to set them all the way down. Now it sounds incredible such that I want to keep it now and use it vs letting it collect dust and enjoy the Roadster that took its place on top of my 412. I converted the head to a combo as I found it totally useless with the 412 cab (before I changed the fixed bias point). Last thing I did with it besides selling it was to install the Celestion 90W Alnico speaker (that was a deal changer for me!)

Lost the reverb circuit. One of the JFETS shorted and that was it. I was able to repair this with same part but that was tricky.

Footswitch cable/controller issues. I may have another issue with this amp as the footswitch controller does not remain stable when using Variac mode.

My Mark V may have been made on a bad day. I would hope that what I had experienced with the amp is not common to all. If it was there would have been a new revision to correct the issues. I may have had other issues with the amp but minor as I do not remember all of them. I bought my Mark V head new in winter of 2012. Since I had a Mark IV, I played that more, Also bought a used RA100 head. I replaced the resting spot of the Mark V head with the Roadster head as I had a cabinet for the RA100. I was on the fence about which one to keep, IV or V. I knew there was potential in the Mark V so I opted to sell the Mark IV. Looking back over all the issue I had with the Mark V, (never had any issues with the Mark IV for the 16 years I owned it, never had any issues at all with the Mark III (blue stripe) for the 24 years I have owned it, (should have kept this one)) it is what it is. sometimes you may have unexpected issues but one would think after 3 years since its introduction the bugs would have been better known and a plan in place to correct them. In closing, I am glad I hung on to it as I am finally bonding with the amp.

Do not let my issues sway you in one direction or another. The Mark V is a great amp. I would have preferred to save money myself. Lucky to find one Mesa Certified so go for it.

bandit2013 said:
Do not let my issues sway you in one direction or another. The Mark V is a great amp. I would have preferred to save money myself. Lucky to find one Mesa Certified so go for it.
I probably will, based on the poll. I was hoping for at least 20 votes, but c'est la vie. I'll make a decision next week I think.

I can only offer one suggestion that would help you, if the resource is too far to drive too for a play through, try to locate a local dealer and if they have one make a visit to try it out. It is very helpful if the dealer knows about the amp and how to dial in some great tone. If not you can always print the suggested setting from the on-line manual. Stick with the source you plan to purchase from but does not hurt to try out an amp to give you something to think about.

Not related to your decision:
When I wanted a Roadster, I went and tried one out. I did not like it but found the Mark V to be familiar and I was able to find a few sweet settings that sold me on the amp. If I had taken my advice and brought with me some of the sample settings printed from the manual I probably would have bought the Roadster at that time. I did eventually buy one without trying it first though Sweetwater as I knew the amp had potential, was not straight forward though but figured it out and never regret the purchase.

First amp I ever bought sight unseen was a Carvin V3MC. Not bad little amp. I keep that at my friends house so when I go over there my amp is there waiting. The only issue I have had with the amp is its small volume for a 12" combo. I can manage with it but may as well just take a raw speaker, connect it and play it with it in its shipping carton. Actually that does not sound all that bad but not a thing that should be practiced.

Just this week, my first Mesa amp I ever bought sight unseen and had no clue what it was going to do for me was the JP-2C. Not sure if I could state it is the best amp I ever bought (best being relative to what exactly? other Mesa amps or all amps in general ?) Since I am still on the Honeymoon, I would have to say yes. I also have three flavors of Mesa amps to choose from before I received the JP-2C.

Related in your choice of amp:
Since you are looking at the Mark V, I am sure you are well aware of its features and various voice settings for each channel. The Mark V is a really great amp and is just as great as the other amps I have. If you have any effects you plan on using in the loop, check the manufacturers specifications for signal level. If it is rated as an instrument level it will either state that, state nothing or indicate -20dBu. If the effect is compatible with line level signal, it will at least have a range of +4dBu (or higher) down to -10dBv (v represends voltage, u represents unit more than likely representing voltage but could also be current). Some effects pedals or rack units will work with the FX-loop send level reduced and some do not as they tend to compress at the input buffer stage resulting in tone loss.

I hope you get more voters to help you decide which direction.

Back