Mark V : 35 or full on Mark V?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The following pros of the big mark v are the ones that may be material in your decision: extra channel (3 rather than 2), foot switchable reverb, louder.

The following factors you might think of as pros but really they are much of a muchness to: size / weight, 3 additional voicing (notably having the crunch setting on the additional channel), supposed differences in how quick the tubes break up at high volumes (although this could be a good or bad thing), additional output master, more tweak ability.

I imagine they will sound very similar. As in, you'd have to work for Mesa or have them side by side to tell the difference.

Thank you both for your replies! Not sure size is a real concern any more as the full V combo is only 4 inches wider than the v:35, albeit the weight is a lot more so I don't believe it will take up more space.

For those that are using the cabclone with their mark v's do you literally have to plug/un-plug the speaker output on the cabclone anytime you want to play silently? Wish there was a switch as there is on the v:35. I know it's a minor annoyance, but it seems to be a convenient feature on the v:35.

Thanks.

Would hate to stir the pot, but I would choose the full sized Mark V for other reasons mainly the power amp section. I prefer the character of the 6L6GC or EL34 variety vs the EL84. It all depends on your taste, but having the flexibility to choose from KT77, 6CA7, EL34, 6L6GC and other derivatives (7581A, etc...) allows you to change your gain and tone structure where as the EL84, not much to choose from. Nothing wrong with the EL84 but it leaves you limited tube choices. If you want super clean cleans, 6L6GC is your best bet. If you do not mind a bit of dirt on the clean, go with EL34 type.

Either way you go, the mini mark or full sized will be a good amp. (I would love to see a JP-2C combo (2x12) but the head and speaker cab would also be good as well).

So after all that fuss - I'm going for the JP-2C :oops: :oops: :oops:

My apologies for the faff and thanks for all your comments.

This will be my first boogie and one hell of an upgrade from my Blackstar HT-5!

nitefly said:
So after all that fuss - I'm going for the JP-2C :oops: :oops: :oops:

My apologies for the faff and thanks for all your comments.

This will be my first boogie and one hell of an upgrade from my Blackstar HT-5!

I had a Blackstar Club HT50 before getting the Mark V. Was a great head - but the Mesa is a whole different world. Shortly after getting my Mark V, the baby mark V's started coming out, then the JP-2C - which I envied mainly because of the built in cab clone. Ended up getting a two notes torpedo reload (which is worth every penny).

Hope you enjoy the amp! Took me a while to dial in really good tones on the Mark V, please post again your thoughts on the JP-2C when you get some mileage out of it!

Latest posts

Back