Mark IVa vs IVb Lead Tone

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrBluesStrat

Reaction score
hi!

which of the two has the creamier, warmer, smoother thicker lead tone?
mark iva or mark ivb?

in advance, I am not a metal player! blues, rock, pop, funky, jazzy is my style and only stratocaster 8)
Many thanks for your tips!

I've owned both. IMO the MarkIV is the best "tone tweaker" amp... SO many tonal shaping options.. So I'm saying buy whichever one is cheaper and you'll be able to dial in that sound you're looking for!

Agreed with last post.Ive owned both too and its not like it's night and day difference between the two..Put the exact same tubes( with exact measurements) in both and it really gets hard to tell them apart..but yes,there are minor differences in each, but honestly you can't go wrong with either one.

I think you're getting pretty deep into cork sniffing territory by worrying about this. I wouldn't base a purchase decision on this kind of distinction. Not to mention there's also the elusive, rare, non-A/non-B variant out there (I've got one). I hear it's the best!

I third what the last two posts said. I've just recently pickedup an A and it definitely does that, and agree the IV has lots of options to dial in. The only real reason I went with the A is because it was the best deal with the bubinga cab and wicker grill. The difference between that and the Bs I looked at was marginal for tone.

I have a A and have used a B....they do sound different. It's not exactly a huge difference. But each has its own thing. The A is brighter.

Back