Mark IV widebody combo modifications

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodtones

Reaction score
Here's some recent mods that I've done to my MkIV widebody combo. Yeah I know, some of you out there are going to crap down both legs cause somebody actually cut into one of these, but hey, this amp will likely never leave my possession anyway. First off, I mounted (yes I routed the cabinet out... but with a template for a clean accurate job) some spring loaded side handles on this heavy little sucker (like the RoadKing and Tremoverb combos have). Makes it a whole lot easier to lift up and into the trunk of the car. Next, I front loaded the speaker. It seemed to open up the sound a little bit more, but really did'nt change it drastically. I had to modify the grille frame in a couple of spots (no big deal with a router table and fence). Next I replaced the grillecloth with some sweet vintage looking tan wicker stuff that I got from a speaker supplier, and finally, I ordered a custom made cover (has cut-outs for the side handles) that is made out of very similar material as the cordova Boogie covers, but has a nice inner lining that is water and dust proof. I know that most of you would'nt dream of doing this to your Boogies but hey, I love this MkIV, and it does exactly what I need an amp to do and much more. So I don't plan on ever selling it. If I did, someone would just have to live with the "hillbilly enhancements" that it now sports. To me, it just made a great amp even better!
DSC00156_thumb.gif
DSC00158_thumb.gif
DSC00159_thumb.gif

100% agree with the handles. EVERY boogie combo should have those stock from the factory. A 75+ pound combo it too much to carry with a single top handle. I finally gave up and bought a headshell. I'm not sure why this has never occured to the guys at Mesa. Expecially for the 2x12 Lonestar, Roadster & RoadKing. Those amps are just crazy heavy.

I'm not sure why this has never occured to the guys at Mesa. Expecially for the 2x12 Lonestar, Roadster & RoadKing. Those amps are just crazy heavy.

The Roadster and RoadKing both have them. And I definately agree, any Boogie (or any other amp for that matter) that weighs over 60 or 75 lbs. should have these. It just distributes the weight better and is much easier on your back too.

I got the cover from BS Protection. They custom make covers to order and their prices are very reasonable for the quality product that they produce. Great quality material (very similar to the fancy Boogie covers) and he does superb work. Here's their website:

http://www.bscovers.com/commerce.cgi?cart_id=1261276348.460

GD_NC said:
100% agree with the handles. EVERY boogie combo should have those stock from the factory. A 75+ pound combo it too much to carry with a single top handle. I finally gave up and bought a headshell. I'm not sure why this has never occured to the guys at Mesa. Expecially for the 2x12 Lonestar, Roadster & RoadKing. Those amps are just crazy heavy.
My back hurts from loading, unloading , loading, and unloading my combo tonight!! When I start making money again I plan on getting a headshell and just putting it on top of my thiele, and maybe getting another theile! I feel like I might need a van or station wagon with a ramp!

woodtones said:
I'm not sure why this has never occured to the guys at Mesa. Expecially for the 2x12 Lonestar, Roadster & RoadKing. Those amps are just crazy heavy.

The Roadster and RoadKing both have them. And I definately agree, any Boogie (or any other amp for that matter) that weighs over 60 or 75 lbs. should have these. It just distributes the weight better and is much easier on your back too.

I got the cover from BS Protection. They custom make covers to order and their prices are very reasonable for the quality product that they produce. Great quality material (very similar to the fancy Boogie covers) and he does superb work. Here's their website:

http://www.bscovers.com/commerce.cgi?cart_id=1261276348.460

Where did you get the handles?

Got the handles on eBay. Seller is "jam4jaudio". A great source of speaker cabinet components for the DIY cabinet builder. Also has the black wide head screws to mount the handles.

Cool mods. You didn't actually mod the amp. You modded the cabinet. The Mark IV should have those handles anyway. The combo is so heavy.

Latest posts

Back