Mark IV slave out question

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FretsOnFyre

Reaction score
Hellooooo denizens of the internet!

I've been trying to record my Mark IV head using the Slave Out and God's Cab impulses, but my sound is just terribly weak and thin, nothing like when I record with an SM57. I have a sneaking suspicion that the cable is the problem (I'm just using a standard instrument cable). Should I be using a balanced 1/4" or a speaker cable instead?

Have you tried using the Recording Out?
In any case, a regular 1/4" instrument cable is appropriate.
Use speaker cable only to connect the power amp to a speaker.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the Recording Out have cab emulation already? I'd like to use my own impulses.

Here's what Page 11 of the manual says: "You'll find that the RECORDING OUT does a pretty remarkable job of simulating the complex functions of power amp, speakers and microphone while at the same time in very little need of any EQ'ing"

I don't know if that qualifies as cab emulation...

That's what I'd thought, but the Recording Out on its own just sounds thin and harsh and with impulses sounds just as weak as the Slave Out. I don't know what I'm doing wrong here, but it just sounds BAD.

To me it wounds like your volume might be too low. I've had good tone from the recording out jack - but you basically have to change your gain structure a little if you're gonna use it, especially if you're gonna have the speaker going at the same time. In short, the recording out only works well in silent recording mode (OR if you can crank the master volume).

Just my 2 cents :)

Not sure what the source of your 'thin' tone might be, I haven't messed around with either the slave out or recording outs of my mark iv yet. However, the slave out should be sending out the exact same signal that the mark is sending to it's own Poweramp section, whereas the recording out will be sending a 'compensated' signal, meant to emulate the sound of a Poweramp, speaker, and mic.

Latest posts

Back