Mark IV R2 questions

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

metalmarlon

Reaction score
I hear a lot about the R2 on the Mark IV being a "no mans land" channel that is not really usable.

I have both a MKIVa and MKIVb.

The R2 on the MKIVa is not useable. It has very little gain.

But the R2 on my MKIVb has a lot more gain. I can get killer rock crunch and boderline "light" metal out of it.

Is this normal, or has my R2 been modded, or something? I am not the original owner.

R2 on the b definitely had more gain on tap..mine can get in the metal range for sure (at least by my standards..obviously I wouldn't use it to cover Death or anything)

aaronlyon said:
I have a Mark IVa. R2 can get plenty of distortion. Sounds like yours is broken!

That is a very good possibility. When I use my FU-3 it will not switch to R2.

Maybe I should send it to Mesa? How much would that cost?

I'd check the preamp tubes on your IVA first. Make sure that they are all the proper type (if I remember correctly, the reverb takes a 12AT7and the rest should be 12AX7's), and also try some different/higher gain tubes to see if that helps.

Tuna141 said:
I'd check the preamp tubes on your IVA first. Make sure that they are all the proper type (if I remember correctly, the reverb takes a 12AT7and the rest should be 12AX7's), and also try some different/higher gain tubes to see if that helps.

I retubed the amp when I got it. SPAX7 in v1, 12AT7 in the right spot, and 12AX7's in the rest.

So it is not the preamps tubes. I am going to mess around a little more with it and see if I might just be crazy and my memory is failing.

never played a IVA but my B has plenty of gain in R2. With a boost pedal in front, oh man....R2 can be a metal players main rhythm channel!

I like the gain in R2 in my Mark IVA. I can use it for heavy crunch sound for cords or a nice blues sound. Though I mostly use it with the EQ kicked in to give it more depth.

Yeah my R2 is broken somehow. It can't even approach the volume of the other 2 channels.

Oh well... don't really "need" it. That would explain why I have trouble switching to it with the FU-3.

Latest posts

Back