(Mark IV) G-major in effecs loop. ?? Help!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ripit007

Reaction score
Ok. I know this has been addressed in the past but I couldnt get a good solution through my readings. I have a Mark IV short head with a GMajor running in the loop. When I engage the loop, the volume drops substantially and it sounds very digital. This happens weather or not the g-major is set in active or bypass mode. No problems running a standard delay pedal through the loop; maintains volume and clarity. Solutions???

I've got a G-Major in the loop of my Mark IV and I've never had any problems with volume drop?
Make sure the output of the G-Major is set to 0dB (the Levels All button just next to the display)
Where have you got the input and output pots set? I have the input around 10 o'clock (otherwise there is some clipping when I use the clean channel) and the output is up around 3 o'clock.

Pretty much the same settings. I have the global output set to 0db (from -6db). Made a little diff erence but still a signif diff in volume when I switch "off" the effects loop with the Mark IV footswitch. The drop in vol happens in all patches (factory and user) and even when bypass is selected. I can run a delay and chrus pedal through the loop with no problems. i can keep them on and switch them on/off by engaging/disengaging the effects loop. Cant do this with the Gmajor without vol drop. Go figure!!! Might have to go back to all pedals and a ground control.

Ok, thats a bit strange.
Check the Input Range in the I/O section, it will be set to either Consumer or Pro (-10dB or +4dB) Swap it and see if that helps.

Something aint right with this thing. I swear I had it working fine about a month ago. The only thing I did was a retube since then. When I use the foot switch to control the effects loop I get a vol drop and the gmajor sounds too processed. But when I switched to "loop on" on the back of the amp it sounded perfect, no vol drop between the raw signal and effects loop switched on. In Consumer mode by the way. I thought I had it figured out. Then I tried to switch patches and many of the patches sounded screwey. There was a huge delay or latency between when I played the note and when it sounded on a lot of the patches, both factory an user. Dunno. Im fed up. Pedals are much easier to deal with....

Littlephil. Im still having a problem. Just want to make sure its not the set-up before I ditch the processor. Are you switching the loop on/off with the foot switch, or do you have the loop engaged full time by the switch on the back of the amp? I/O to consumer? Input 0db? anything else I may be missing? Thanks.

ripit007 said:
Littlephil. Im still having a problem. Just want to make sure its not the set-up before I ditch the processor. Are you switching the loop on/off with the foot switch, or do you have the loop engaged full time by the switch on the back of the amp? I/O to consumer? Input 0db? anything else I may be missing? Thanks.
I keep the loop on all the time, because with my MIDI controller, it defaults to the number 1 patch when you press a preset button a second time (I'm using an Axess MFC5) so I set up the default patch to have no effects on the G-Major.
Even so, when I bypass the loop the level is still the same, I don't lose any volume (I intentionally set the G-Major in/out pots to match the level of the loop bypassed)
I/O set to Consumer, output range to 20dBu, input to 0dB.

Ahh. The key was "kill dry" in the I/O. For some reason I cant use the footswitch option to engage and disengage the effects loop with the gmajor (can with pedals though). Have to keep loop on all the time via the toggle switch on the back. So, I saved a patch with no effects (dry) and that will be my bypass. I'll have to go this route for now.

Hi,

Without reading al the reply's heres my € 0,02

I had a lot of Mesa amps and owned a few G-majors, G-forces, G-system and a lot of other brands.
All had severe signal loss. A lot of tone suck so to say...
Always a drop in attack, less mids, less feel and dynamics. Even had a talk with Fred Thomas (dutch importer) for TC who tried to help me out. He did a great job but it didnt help...
I even tried to use a CAE mixer to get it to work but still had some problems. (tonesuck was gone though).

The only unit wich worked (and still does) for me is the Intellifex.
I recently removed the Replifexs from my rack to install a Intellifex. Maybe less options in that unit but it works great for what is does best. Chorus, Delay and Pitchshift.

Good luck!

Latest posts

Back