Mark IV: any new versions coming???

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do recall GC blowing them out for that price a few years back.....However, most if not all of them were floor models that had been sitting around for who know how long. None were boxed/new versions.....I know cause I asked. I passed on the deals as at the time, they were going for like $850 to $900 on the bay, and I purchased online that was in newer (one owner) condition then the floor models at GC. I bought it for $800 -- saved nearly $550 + tax (albeit no warranty -- but it never failed on me).

The blow out sale had alot to do with the fact they were not stocking those anymore and were going to be special order only.

I think the rumor started around that time that Mesa was discontinuing them -- perhaps in favor of Mark V

......Well, we now now know how true that was :shock:

I'm curious on this one too. Does anyone know of any new amps in the works down at Boogie headquarters? I've heard roomers of a Mark V for a while now, but I don't know if there is any truth to them. I really can't see Mesa ending the Mark series, as popular as they have been for all these years. I think the public facination with the Recto series will fade as Nu Metal goes the way of the dinosaurs. IMHO, old school rock and metal will make a come back with a vengence. Hey, 70's and 80's fashion trends are coming back, so the music should follow shortly behind.

:twisted: Bow down to the return of the Mullet! :twisted:

I was actually thinking of how totally awesome a Mark V would be.. more modern sounding then a Mark IV and with a lot more gain on tap in channel 2 but with all of the totally awesome features and versatility the Mark IV has.

I personally think the Mark V will be a matter of when and not if.

A Mark V update is an ace in the hole for Mesa if they do it right they are probably just waiting for the most opportune time to release it :)

temps said:
... a Mark V would be.. more modern sounding then a Mark IV and with a lot more gain on tap in channel 2 ...

I totaly like the MarkIV for his "vintage" sound, and i like it a lot more than these hyper compressed too digitaly sounding moderns distortions we hear today, metal tones with too much low end for me. So if the MarkV will not be voiced a la Mark series, it would not be a Mark for me !

That is a good point as well. If not for the different voicings there wouldn't be much point.

Antoine said:
temps said:
... a Mark V would be.. more modern sounding then a Mark IV and with a lot more gain on tap in channel 2 ...

I totaly like the MarkIV for his "vintage" sound, and i like it a lot more than these hyper compressed too digitaly sounding moderns distortions we hear today, metal tones with too much low end for me. So if the MarkV will not be voiced a la Mark series, it would not be a Mark for me !

+ 1

I dig the Mark IV as is, the only appealing thing to me in a Mark V would be the complete independence of tone controls per channels...and perhaps a bit more gain avail in Rhythm 2; add a reverb button on the controller, tuner out -- and that's it. Although I don't know how they'd fit all of that on the controller -- perhaps only the wide body format (but I don't like that one for what I play).

Antoine said:
temps said:

I wasn't suggesting to turn the Mark into a Recto... I was just thinking more of a happy middle ground but still tending towards Mark territory. And then you can always roll back the bass a bit to get back to the Mark IV tone..

JAZZGEAR said:
Antoine said:
temps said:
I dig the Mark IV as is, the only appealing thing to me in a Mark V would be the complete independence of tone controls per channels...and perhaps a bit more gain avail in Rhythm 2; add a reverb button on the controller, tuner out -- and that's it. Although I don't know how they'd fit all of that on the controller -- perhaps only the wide body format (but I don't like that one for what I play).

I totally agree. The best feature of the Mark amps is that they are NOT "modern" sounding amps. The recto buzzy & boomy sound has gotten really old IMHO. If I had my chance at designing the Mark V it would be something like:

Channel 1 - Mark series cleans (or maybe Lonestar cleans)
Channel 2 - Mark IIC+ gain
Channel 3 - Mark IV gain
Fully independent tone controls on each channel
Lonestar's reverb circuit w/ front panel mix control for each channel
Series FX Loop with on/off switches per channel
100 watts Simul-class with simul or class A switch per channel
Tube swapping options like Mark IV
Triode/Pentode switch per channel
All the push/pulls and voicing options of the Mark IV
Output mute and recording out like Mark IV
Solo control over all channels like rectos and stilettos
Graphic EQ with on/off switch for each channel
Channel 1,2,3, EQ, Reverb, FX Loop, and Solo on footswitch
Head or Closed back (or maybe convertible) 1x12 or 2x12 combo

That would be a BEAST. Oh well we can dream can't we.

mr_fender said:
JAZZGEAR said:
Antoine said:
I totally agree. The best feature of the Mark amps is that they are NOT "modern" sounding amps. The recto buzzy & boomy sound has gotten really old IMHO. If I had my chance at designing the Mark V it would be something like:

Channel 1 - Mark series cleans (or maybe Lonestar cleans)
Channel 2 - Mark IIC+ gain
Channel 3 - Mark IV gain
Fully independent tone controls on each channel
Lonestar's reverb circuit w/ front panel mix control for each channel
Series FX Loop with on/off switches per channel
100 watts Simul-class with simul or class A switch per channel
Tube swapping options like Mark IV
Triode/Pentode switch per channel
All the push/pulls and voicing options of the Mark IV
Output mute and recording out like Mark IV
Solo control over all channels like rectos and stilettos
Graphic EQ with on/off switch for each channel
Channel 1,2,3, EQ, Reverb, FX Loop, and Solo on footswitch
Head or Closed back (or maybe convertible) 1x12 or 2x12 combo

That would be a BEAST. Oh well we can dream can't we.

I'd sign up for everything you said except the LS cleans. I like the Mark IV Cleans. And I'd bet that if it had a better reverb, the cleans would be on par with the LS series.

I already have a RK II, so I wouldn't want the clean channels duplicated.

Mark IV is still one of Mesa's best amps and is a good seller. Why change it. If they do, we'll all be pining for the old version it replaced. I have an Ecstasy, Shiva, Slant 6V and 2 Mark IV heads (one a former combo). I love them all, but I only need the Mark IV; it covers the same bases.

BTW - I sold my Dual Rec (voodoo modified). Voodoo made it a better amp, but it did not have the same tone quality (clean or gain) as the Mark IV to my ear.

I don't have a need for a MarkV, the IV is perfect as it is for me, including the RHY2 channel that so many owners seems to dislike, i like it a lot, as RHY1 and Lead !!!

Antoine said:
I don't have a need for a MarkV, the IV is perfect as it is for me, including the RHY2 channel that so many owners seems to dislike, i like it a lot, as RHY1 and Lead !!!

+1

Latest posts

Back