Mark III Re-tube

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boogie-Nights

Reaction score
Gonna retube my Mark III

I think ive decided on Winged =C= for the 6L6 and EL34s. I have them in my Marshall and they sound good and after looking on here people seem to like them.

Buying from here: http://www.hotroxuk.com/matched-val...0/svetlana-matched-tubes-6l6-el34-7528-0.html

You have the option to choose the draw of the tubes. Whether you want them hot, normal or cold.

Am i right in thinking th amp itself is biased fairly cold?? Which would you recomend.

Also for the pre-amp, seems like people like the Tung-sol re-issue 12AX7s for V1 and V3. Whats the good for the other slots?

Which of these would be good choices?

http://www.hotroxuk.com/matched-val...-12ax7-ecc82jj-groove-tube-12ax7m-1885-0.html

Thanks.

Boogie-Nights said:
Gonna retube my Mark III

Also for the pre-amp, seems like people like the Tung-sol re-issue 12AX7s for V1 and V3. Whats the good for the other slots?

Thanks.

I recently put a NOS RFT in V3, the amp has never sounded better. I was searching for a long time for that killer tone, that RFT was the trick, I now want to get one for V1.

Sean

Seanboy said:
Boogie-Nights said:
Gonna retube my Mark III

Thanks.

I recently put a NOS RFT in V3, the amp has never sounded better. I was searching for a long time for that killer tone, that RFT was the trick, I now want to get one for V1.

Sean
That sounds vaguely familiar. :roll: 8) Depending on the music you play, that RFT fattens things up really well in ch3. I bounced between a new Tung Sol and a '50s era RCA in V1 to keep ch1 and ch2 flexible. I left V2 and the PI with a stock Mesa.

Eurotubes.com will match their tubes to the color codes of the Mesa system. I have red and green color coded tubes that came in my MK IV and they'll give you tubes that will fall in those same ranges.

Makes me think, is there a list showing the ranges of the color coded system that Mesa uses? It would be handy for folks shopping for other output tube brands.

kdorsey said:
Seanboy said:
Boogie-Nights said:
Gonna retube my Mark III

Thanks.

Sean
That sounds vaguely familiar. :roll: 8) Depending on the music you play, that RFT fattens things up really well in ch3. I bounced between a new Tung Sol and a '50s era RCA in V1 to keep ch1 and ch2 flexible. I left V2 and the PI with a stock Mesa.

Thanks guys! Im gonna have a look out for the RFT tube.

This may be a stupid question but how do you know which tube is what. From the manual it says V1 is the covered one. Does it just go V1-V2-V3-V4 (left to right form the front of the amp) and V5 between them and the power tubes. Also is V1 the phase inverter?

Thanks in advance

V1 is most always the 12AX7 closest to the input, then V2, V3, etc.
In almost all Mesa amps, V1 is the tube your guitar sees first, right after the signal goes through the tone controls (sometimes called the "tone stack")
Same for Fender.
On Marshalls, the signal goes to the tube first, then the tone knobbies.
This is why the tone controls seem to have more influence over the sound in Mesas and Fenders compared to Marshall-type designs.
V5 is the "phase inverter" or "driver". V5 is usually closest to the power tubes.

Sean[/quote]
That sounds vaguely familiar. :roll: 8) Depending on the music you play, that RFT fattens things up really well in ch3. I bounced between a new Tung Sol and a '50s era RCA in V1 to keep ch1 and ch2 flexible. I left V2 and the PI with a stock Mesa.[/quote]

[/quote]

Yes, Kdorsey, that should sound familiar, thanks for the tip on the RFT in V3, that little change made me fall in love with my amp. I was just about to sell it and try a different amp, so glad I didn't.

Sean

Back