MARK III GREENSTRIPE R2 VOLUME MOD

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tubebury

Reaction score
I finally got around to having my tech buddy perform the R2 channel volume mod and it works great! Now, I can turn up the amp's Master a little more (they jump from bedroom volume to loud fast!) and get a fuller, chunkier R1 tone, then cut the volume via the new R2 control knob on the back panel.

The R2 level really jumps up a lot higher than R1 when the Master is turned up and that's the problem I was having live - R2 would just overwhelm! I love the R2 tone on this thing and live there for most of the gigs I'm playing now with it.

I had my friend Paul stick it in the original DI output jack location, moved the DI output jack to the top location and also had the DI out level hard-wired in case I ever want to use it. Here are a few pics:

87599.jpg

32200.jpg

46164.jpg

84488.jpg

I want to thank the Forum members who posted on this subject with instructions and images! Your help is appreciated!

The red George L's patch cable is run out to connect with my Axess GFX4 MIDI switcher. And I obviously had a new head shell built since my Mark III came to me as a combo. I don't like the midget Mark short heads, so.... My cab guy, Kerry Wright, of Fullerton, CA, does artisan work on cabs, recovering, restoring, etc... His work is flawless!

I'm a happy camper now! The only problem is deciding which 4 x 12 cab I like the head better with! :roll:

tubebury said:
I want to thank the Forum members who posted on this subject with instructions and images! Your help is appreciated!

Where'd you see this mod in more detail? I'm interested in doing it to my III.

That head cabinet it cool... Are you going to put a Boogie logo on it?

phyrexia said:
tubebury said:

Where'd you see this mod in more detail? I'm interested in doing it to my III.

Hi there, here's some more info to help you out with this! A buddy of mine that lurks on this and other forums brought this link to my attention. With it, I was able to have my Mark III R2 volume mod done by my another buddy who's an amazingly talented amp and system tech. Forum member timv posted this great info and has also reposted photos for us to see....

Just click on the link and study, Grasshopper!!

http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?t=1028&highlight=mod

Telelee said:
Do you have contact info for you cabinet guy; Kerry? Really nice work.
Hi Telelee (cool user name BTW), I will call Kerry Monday just to make sure it's OK to hand out his phone number, just as a courtesy of course. He's totally old school and low key, doesn't have a web site, etc.

I will let you know ASAP, and I'm sure there would be no problem.

He does killer work, but ain't cheap! You should see him do touch up and repairs to tolex, fabric, etc... amazing.

Brian

Thanks. That's about as good a job of covering as I've ever seen. The white piping was a nice touch and I would think, not an easy job to do. Does he also build cabintes or just cover them?
Thanks again.

Telelee said:
Thanks. That's about as good a job of covering as I've ever seen. The white piping was a nice touch and I would think, not an easy job to do. Does he also build cabintes or just cover them?
Thanks again.
Hi again! He builds cabs from scratch, does custom work, restoring, pretty much everything, but he really loves doing the odd-ball/out of the ordinary stuff best I think. He does work for some very famous folks, big artists and they keep him pretty busy!

Brian

tubebury said:
Telelee said:
Thanks again.
Hi again! He builds cabs from scratch, does custom work, restoring, pretty much everything, but he really loves doing the odd-ball/out of the ordinary stuff best I think. He does work for some very famous folks, big artists and they keep him pretty busy!

Brian

What's up Brian? I can attest to the skills of Kerry Wright. I bought a Vintage 1965 Ampeg Reverberocket 2 off Ebay that had a corner damaged in shipping. Kerry fixed the corner wood and tolex such that it looks like it was never there in the first place. He's also done a couple custom head shells for me for 2 of my Mark IIC+'s; one in burgundy with tan grill and one in purple with black/white checkered grill. I'll have to get some pics up but his tolex work is so good, it looks like it's sprayed on. He can do pretty much anything but prefers vinyl work to doing bare wood stuff like flamed maple, etc.

Indeed he costs a lot but I think his prices are reasonable for the work he does and he's a stand up guy as long you're stand up with him. Definitely old school as Brian said. He makes custom covers in vinyl as well. I've had him make several covers for some combo amps and a keyboard and they're all really nice. He does work for celebs like EVH, Lenny Kravitz, Mike Landau, etc.

What's up Brian? I can attest to the skills of Kerry Wright. I bought a Vintage 1965 Ampeg Reverberocket 2 off Ebay that had a corner damaged in shipping. Kerry fixed the corner wood and tolex such that it looks like it was never there in the first place. He's also done a couple custom head shells for me for 2 of my Mark IIC+'s; one in burgundy with tan grill and one in purple with black/white checkered grill. I'll have to get some pics up but his tolex work is so good, it looks like it's sprayed on. He can do pretty much anything but prefers vinyl work to doing bare wood stuff like flamed maple, etc.

Indeed he costs a lot but I think his prices are reasonable for the work he does and he's a stand up guy as long you're stand up with him. Definitely old school as Brian said. He makes custom covers in vinyl as well. I've had him make several covers for some combo amps and a keyboard and they're all really nice. He does work for celebs like EVH, Lenny Kravitz, Mike Landau, etc.

Hi, Lee! Double dittos on everything you said about Kerry! He's the Man!
Gotta run to band rehassle....

Later!

Brian

Latest posts

Back