Mark III Blue stripe Simul Class run with 4 6L6

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Artwood

Reaction score
Hi !

I've just got my magical Mark III Blue stripe fully loaded (Simul/class, GEQ, Reverb and EVM12L), awesome amp :D

As I've read on the manual of the Mark III, the simul-class model should be run with 2 EL34 and 2 6L6, and mine has 4 6L6 (Ruby Tube). It is bad ? Should I change my tubes now, or this configuration is well supported by the output transformer and the tubes themselves ?

Thanks a lot, and sorry for my bad English.

Hi Artwood,

As I recall, the manual states that you can run 4 6L6s, but that it will wear out the tubes faster.

I haven't done it myself.

-Daniel

At some point in the 90s Mesa recommended against 6L6s in the outer sockets because of spotty tube quality. They changed the manual to reflect this momentous decision.
It's no longer a problem, as pretty much all tubes manufactured currently are of the same dubious quality.
Enjoy!

Crank it and don't look back. If you get curious about a little EL34 action (in class A mode it can get very Plexi-ish), just swap out the outer pair. Either way, good stuff. 8)

Latest posts

Back