Mark IIB...adding reverb?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodbutcher65

Reaction score
I just picked up a beautiful Mark IIB straight 60 in a hardwood cabinet with wicker cane grille, AND it came with a road case, and want to retrofit reverb to it. Has this been done either in the aftermarket or as a retrofit done by Mesa?

I can almost certainly do it myself. But if anybody might happen to have the parts list handy, that might shorten the discovery process.

The preamp pcb's for reverb and non reverb models are completely different..Obviously there's an additional tube slot too..They were labeled SP9A/B etc for non reverb and R..for reverb models.

I'll be looking for that when I crack it open. I'm sure it's due for a cap job anyway. HOPING they used the reverb ready version PC board.

Serial number is 10031.

They wouldn't have..The reverb versions have boards with 4 preamp tubes (Plus the power board with the output tubes and phase inverter tube)but the standard sixty has the non reverb 3 tube preamp board..It would take a good bit of modding if even possible as Mesa haven't had the old mark II boards available for years now.

If I could get the prints for the relevant versions of the PC board, I'd have them duplicated. I'd also pay to duplicate Mark II and Mark III aluminum etched front panels with EQ if I had clean samples to work from.

As things stand now I do a decent side hustle business making very authentic replica front and rear panels for nearly all Marshall amps made before 1980. Going into another panel project isn't a big leap for me.

To add to what the other guys have said, honestly, Mark II and III reverb sucks. It's not worth upgrading to it, you're better off without the extra bits in the circuit & just get your pedal of choice.

The mod that IS worth doing is the loop mod, so your loop becomes good, and then your loop based effects pedals will do their job.

You obviously have much different skills and motivation than I do, but I'd be concerned about resale value and just get an external unit (pedal or other).

My amp has an SP9 board, no support for reverb. (The R in RP boards stands for Reverb.)

I'll just use the loop...which probably needs the mod done.

Back