Mark IIa Effects Loop Soulution

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rick Mark2A

Reaction score
Greetings. As the proud owner of my Boogie Mark IIa for over 25 years, i would like to say hello to all fellow Mark fanatics. While i always liked this amp, up until now i felt that it was a bit lacking because of the fact that it didn't have a usable effects loop. Recently i started to search for a viable solution to make the loop usable and was kinda surprised that there really isn't much info on the subject for the IIa. I eventually started to think about trying a buffered loop and my search brought me to what i am now using. It's basically a copy of a Dumbleator, made by Ceriatone. Not knowing if it would actually work in the IIa, i ordered one in kit form and decided to give it a try. Well all i can say is wow, i feel like i have a new amp. If you own a mark IIa and you want a nice effects loop give it a try. For a total of $225 shipped to my door, its the best money spent in a long time for me. Here's a picture of my setup.

mark2rig.JPG

How is the component quality / noise level of the kit? I've often thought of getting a D-lator type device, but I get a real Behringer-y vibe, if you know what I mean, from my Overtone Special (especially next to the Boogies) and I'm not sure I'd buy Ceriatone again.

Oh, and welcome to the Board!

HI, the component quality seems ok. I am not a real expert on the actual parts (caps, resistors, etc) but the unit is working nicely and the noise level is very low. So far i have only tried running my SDR1000 with it and with that it runs very quiet. I did swap the original JJ 12ax7 for a groove tubes 7025, so that could have something to do with the low noise I suppose. One thing I can say about the C-lator is that it adds a considerable amount of brightness to the sound. My IIa has always been a very bright sounding amp so I find myself having to EQ a lot of the brightness out. Also, I notice a slight modification of dynamics when running the C-lator but nothing extreme, or necessarily bad. If anything, it seems to add a hint of compression to the sound, but I actually find the results to be pleasing to my ears.

Hello, yes unfortunately the pops still occur. On my amp, i found that if i stop playing momentarily while hitting the footswitch the pops are much less severe, almost nonexistant, but still it would be nice to be able to switch while playing.

Hello, yes unfortunately the pops still occur. On my amp, i found that if i stop playing momentarily while hitting the footswitch the pops are much less severe, almost nonexistant, but still it would be nice to be able to switch while playing.

Same behaviour on my IIB. I was looking at the manual for the RJM Rack Gizmo, which apparently counters this relay pop by cutting the signal momentarily while the switch occurs, which was quite an interesting fix.

zebpedersen said:
Same behaviour on my IIB. I was looking at the manual for the RJM Rack Gizmo, which apparently counters this relay pop by cutting the signal momentarily while the switch occurs, which was quite an interesting fix.

That looks like an interesting device. Looks a bit pricey though. I wonder if one of those could be made as a DIY project. maybe with not as many loops, for a modest cost.

I don't see why not – you don't necessarily need all the MIDI business, loops etc…

You could maybe build a pedal that goes last in your chain, connects to the input and footswitch jacks on your Mark II, and has the dual responsibility of cutting the signal (for say, 10ms) and channel switching with one press. I'd definitely buy something like that for my IIB - especially useful for people who aren't in a geographical position to ship their amp back to Mesa for any work.

John Suhr makes this device called "mini mix" which converts a serial effects loop into a parallel loop.
Did someone try that?

You could maybe build a pedal that goes last in your chain, connects to the input and footswitch jacks on your Mark II, and has the dual responsibility of cutting the signal (for say, 10ms) and channel switching with one press
Well, it won't work the best, IMHO... The pop is inharent to the relay, so if there is a "momentarily synchro" signal cut to do, it would be after the relay, so just before the power amp, then the pop would be de facto cut with the signal. it could be inserted via the power amp in/preamp out jack, with a momentarily synchro grounding via a Vactrol, I think...

But I wonder if it's really worth to go so far, in fact... Otherwise you just need to stop playing while you are footswitching, like I do, and as exacly as Rick Mark2A wrote a few post before. You act then as the "signal canceller" by yourself !

Nonetheless, I reduced the pops of my MKIIA relay by :
1 - cleaning the relay contacts (it opens easily, so you can access the contact - but it's some kind of "watchmakers's job")
2 - building a small separate and more filtered/powerful relay PSU, which gives a better switching operation.

I must say that these pops are not an issue for me now, even if it has not completely dissapeared.

By the way, nice MKIIA head, Rick Mark2A +++

A+!

Greetings. As the proud owner of my Boogie Mark IIa for over 25 years

Ah, Rick - I know this is a bit off topic, but - would you like to give some useful infos about your MKIIA Head if you can ?
1 - is it a Reverb option / if yes is the reverb installed ?
2 - would you please measure the inside vertical distance of the space beetwen the bottom of the chassis and the background of the head ? (hope I am clear !)
3 - would you measure the height of the wicked-cane front panel ?
4 - Can you post a back-open picture of your head, if possible ?

I am thinking to build one...

Thanks !

A+!

Seems like a intelligent solution, if you only need to correct signal levels which are too high or too low.
But what the mini mix or all this kind of dumbleators do is: they convert a serial effects loop into a parallel, what means: the main signal gets buffered and passes without loss through the loop and like on a mixing board, you can add your wet signal from your reverb or delay to the direkt signal. This prevents your main guitar signal from beeing degraded by cheap ADA converters or get screwed in any other way.
Of cause it doesnt work with effects which need to be fully inserted like compressors or distortion etc.
But: who needs a fuzz in the effects loop???

mark2boogie said:
Ah, Rick - I know this is a bit off topic, but - would you like to give some useful infos about your MKIIA Head if you can ?
1 - is it a Reverb option / if yes is the reverb installed ?
2 - would you please measure the inside vertical distance of the space beetwen the bottom of the chassis and the background of the head ? (hope I am clear !)
3 - would you measure the height of the wicked-cane front panel ?
4 - Can you post a back-open picture of your head, if possible ?

I am thinking to build one...

Thanks !

A+!

Hi, no problem. I measured the distance from the bottom of the chassis to the inside bottom of the cabinet and it was 4.25". The measurements for the cane panel is 4.125" x 17"

Here is a rear photo of the amp. If I can be of any more help, just let me know. Almost forgot to mention this one is a non reverb head, 60/100.

amp22.JPG

Thanks a lot, Rick ! Useful information +++

What you call the "cake panel" is the front "wicked-cane" panel, I suppose ?

A+!

Yes Mark2, over here we actually call it wicker cane, and i just shortened it to cane. I actually like your version "wicked cane" though because it does look kinda wicked. 8)

Rick Mark2A said:
Yes Mark2, over here we actually call it wicker cane, and i just shortened it to cane. I actually like your version "wicked cane" though because it does look kinda wicked. 8)

Ha ! Yes... Unintentional mistake... "Wicked Cane" would be the vintage aged version removed from old furniture, to be re-used as a Boogie grille (it's what I am planning to do...)

A+!

Latest posts

Back