Mark IIA - a few questions

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chachi

Reaction score
I just got a Mark IIA head. I'm pretty sure it's A vs. B as sharpie date on chassis is 12/78. I've only had limited time to start getting it dialed in, but I have this initial question... the manual I downloaded says that Lead Master overrides Master 1 in Lead Drive mode (where I'll be playing most of the time). But mine does not, or at least it doesn't in the way I interpret the manual.

My Master 1 is still effective in Lead Drive mode. With Lead Drive pulled out, the Lead Drive adds 'gain' and the Lead Master increases the signal, but not like a master volume. And again, Master 1 is still effective and acts like a master volume the way it does in non-Lead Drive mode. Does this make sense? Is it correct that it still functions in Lead Drive mode? I took the manual to mean that the Lead Master overrides the Master 1 entirely. Maybe I am misinterpreting that.

As I think about it more... is it set your Master 1 volume in conjunction with Volume 1 for clean; and amount of gain in Lead Drive with Lead Drive knob and 'volume' of Lead Drive with Lead Master... but the Lead Master uses Master 1 as it's baseline? And I know that Volume 1 still impacts signal strength in Lead Drive mode.

I took manual to mean that for clean, use Volume 1 and Master 1; and for dirty use Lead Drive and Lead Master. Which is true, but Volume 1 and Master 1 are still active in Lead Drive mode.

I haven't had time to search this forum as I'm new here, so feel free to point me to some threads. This is my second Boogie. I had a Mark III about 20 years ago. Just got this Mark II today!

I used to own Mark IIA serial number 3116.

Yes, the clean master (master 1) functions as a volume limiter when in the lead mode. To get louder by turning up the lead master, master 1 has to be high enough to allow it.

It is best to think of master 1 as a limiter. Or as the TRUE master volume on the amp. It determines the ultimate maximum available volume.

With master 1 at 3, you can turn the lead master to 10 and the lead channel's volume won't get any louder until you turn the clean master up higher.

That is normal behavior for a Mark II or Mark III. My Mark III operated in the same manner.

Ah OK. Cool. Thanks. That is how it is working, just got confused by manual.

I'm sure there are a ton of threads on here... but what tone change would I see from swapping the Fetron to a 12AX7? I know my Fetron switch is to that position, but I haven't pulled any of the tubes yet. All I know for sure is I have Ruby power tubes. And also, to make sure... I have a 4x10 140 watt 8 ohm cab (Celestion G10L-35 x 4); it's safe to use 100 watt mode connecting that cab to 8 ohm speaker out, right?

Latest posts

Back