LSS vs. Fender Hot Rod

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GeoBull

Reaction score
I played a Fender Hot Rod over the weekend: http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Hot-Rod-Series-Blues-Junior-NOS-15W-1x12-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=483711

It was excellent; very easy to dial-in, great tone, really clear, rich sound. I'm selling a Dr. Z Maz 38 Sr and so was thinking of throwing down a few bucks on this. However...

I already have an LSS. Is there anything a Hot Rod can do that I couldn't find by just setting my LSS on 15w and playing around? They seem potentially redundant but there was something really special about that Hot Rod.

For context, I'm a professional-level player who gigs out here and there but usually nowhere so big that an LSS didn't cut it.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Well, first a really big question. Was this the new Hot Rod III? The latest offering from Fender in the Hot Rod series is an entirely different beast compared to the previous generation, especially in the drive channel. Fender finally fixed the drive to warm it up and make it useable. I played through the new Hot Rod at GC just the other day and was quite surprised and pleased with the results. The clean channel has always been beautiful, but the Drive and More Drive channel was all but useless with really fizzy, harsh drive tones. The re-vamped drive and graduated volume and treble pot tapers were direct responses to users requests and problems. Fender actually listened for once. Also, the black face plate helps too. I've owned several different versions of the Hot Rod and "Blues" series and can tell you the chrome face plate was a really stupid idea and tough at best to read on stage when setting up or dialing in.

Overall, the new amps are much improved, including a Celestion speaker that sounded very "fenderish" in the clean channel, but very "British" in the drive channel. Now, I can't compare it to a LSS because I'm a 6L6 guy and own a LSC, but even with these upgrades/changes I can't begin to imagine that it would come even close to your LSS in tone quality. The Lone Star clean is spectacular without having the harsh Ice Pick that Fender amps can have, especially when using single coils.

I wonder if they'll be any more reliable than the earlier versions (which are notoriously unreliable).

I saw one today in the music store...did't play it...owned the old style for 8 years or so..looked good, But I don't think Fender comes close to MB...Fenders fuzz out at outdoor gig levels.. they just do not have the projection of the Mesa's. Keep your LSS.

Keep your LSS - no brainer in terms of sound and reliability. Briefly owned the HRD and the clean channel was Fender all the way. The OD channel was lacking and generic sounding with little versatility. I have not tried the new HRDs, but my biggest issue with them is that the tube sockets are PCB board mounted. An accident waiting to happen IMHO.

Matt

I've had a Hot Rod Deville for a number of years and it's been rock solid as far as reliablity. Nice amp. I did get a LSC which will be replacing the Fender. The Mesa is head and shoulders better although the Fender does have great cleans and reverb. The medium gain sounds with single coils are pretty nice too. So if you want to get into a Fender and save some money, I'm selling.

Back