LSS vs. Maz 38 Sr (NR): The verdict and request for advice

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GeoBull

Reaction score
I have an LSC 2x12 and an LSS 1x12. I have now bought a Maz 38 Sr (no reverb). For details on how I got here (if you care :) see [1] below). I now probably have too much gear and am considering options (well, can anybody ever REALLY have enough gear?). I have used the Maz in three situations: 1) in store (but able to crank it up a fair amount), 2) outdoor gig, 3) small but loud jam environment (dense: another guitar with major effects, sax/flute, electronic drums (a kit), turntables (yep, turntables; interesting), bass.

Here are my toughts on the two amps:

Top line verdict: On tone (especially clean) the MAZ Sr wins; it's not really close. The signal chain is so simple, the amp is so well made, that it is just a TONE MONSTER. From the pure tone perspective it is the nicest sounding amp I've played through. Beats a Bruno I tried awhile ago.

Details:
-Maz Sr.
Probably the most responsive amp I've played through. Capable of great sounds at all the volumes I've tried. Cuts through NO PROBLEM in even large contexts. Loud as b----. Using just amp and guitar volume knob you can REALLY go from great clean to furry. Very bright: need to get used to the tone knobs and cut to compensate when using bridge pup. No need for reverb (I thought through that issue for a while and went directly to Dr. Z as well as dealers and players; per Dr. Z, and obviously, the signal chain w/o reverb is more straightforward and he builds it different to take advantage of not having to address reverb chain).

-LSS
A great, versatile, portable amp. Very nice cleans at lower volumes; great fur at higher volumes; reasonably responsive but not in comparison to Maz. Nice ch 2 so you get a tube overdrive built-in; great features especially ch switching and power switching. But, loses to Maz on pure EL-84 tone and responsiveness.

NOW FOR THE QUESTION:

I would love your opinion on some of the options I've considered (or suggest your own; anyone can play). I understand this is a Boogie forum and I've been a happy Mesa user since '84; I don't mean this to be a slag on Boogie.

1) Keep everything - Not so realistic although not out of the question. But actually maybe not necessary nor best.

2) Keep the LSC - Use it for different cleans and for its gain channel

3) Keep the LSS - Use it for smaller things (jams etc) where the easy form factor and power switching is hefpful (although I found I was getting great sounds a all volumes with MAZ). A/B it with MAZ for the cranked ch 1 sound and hi-gain ch 2 sound.

4) Dump the Mesa's and get a Dr. Z Maz 18 Jr. - I'll lose a little money (but not too much) on the switch over. Use the Maz 18 for jams etc. where again form factor is, er, a factor. A/B Jr and Sr and crank the 18 for my gain sound. Use my Barber when using only one.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks as always.

[1]
I've been quite happy with my Lone Stars. However, at a recent outdoor gig I was required to use the rented backline (go figure). The guy providing the amps was nice enough to let me come to his store and pick the amp I wanted him to bring for guitar. He is a HUGE Dr. Z fan; I had previously played a gig with a similar backline that had a Dr Z Maz 18 Jr. Wasn't able to get a sound I loved out of it but had zero time to try. I went to the store and played through a bunch of Dr. Z's; given time all were GREAT. The Maz Sr stood out. I used it at the gig and WOW; really, really great amp.

I would keep the LSC. I still think it's one of the best amps period at doing Fender Black Face and Tweed cleans.

Get rid of the LSS and keep the Dr. Z if that tone is preferable to you but play them both for a while. I can't tell you the number of times I almost got fooled into switching during the honeymoon period.

Pageburst said:
I would keep the LSC. I still think it's one of the best amps period at doing Fender Black Face and Tweed cleans.

Get rid of the LSS and keep the Dr. Z if that tone is preferable to you but play them both for a while. I can't tell you the number of times I almost got fooled into switching during the honeymoon period.

Good advice on both counts; especially the: don't rush thing (that's how I got here in the first place)

I agree with pageburst,..in your situation,as long as you don't need the variable wattage down to 5 watts.
When I bought my LSS,..it was in the running with a Dr. Z maz 18,.and a Marshall Bluesbreaker,.but the LSS was the only one I could actually "check out",the others two would have had to been ordered first. The availability and the fact that it has the variable wattage,was the reason for buying it.

I had a Maz 38 w/ verb thru the Z best 2/12

I have a LSS combo with the Mesa ext cab (so, 2 12's total)

I also have an LSC head that I run thru a Carr 2 x 12 open back cab.

I dumped the Z and kept the Lonestars. Here' why:

1. The Z is a one trick pony, and that is the Buddy Whittington Strat tone. ALmost useless with a PRS Cu 24 and totally useless with an LP Std. I could get close to that tone with the LSS, and the LSS does SO many other things, and I really like flexibity.

2. I was always wrestling with the inherent brightness of the Z. Always trying to dial it out.

3. The LSS 5 watt setting is the best "light, whispy" clean I've ever heard.

I'm not flaming the Z's; I just think the many things that the LSS does outweigh the one slight adavantage the Z has.

I don't think I'll ever get rid of the LSC; thru the Carr 2 x 12 cab, its almost as good as the Carr Slant 6V head I have. To me,its on the short list of the vary best 6L6 Fender based channel switchers. PLUS, try 6V6's or EL-34's.

The LSC with one of the other two will cover a LOT of ground.

BTW, the Maz 18 is not a "baby" Maz 38. To me, those amps are a lot different that say running the LSS at 35 and then 15 watts.

If you're a blues guy and looking for simplicity, try to A/B a Victoria Victoriette 2 x 10 EL-84 next to a Z 18. I have, and I own the Vicky but not the Z.

BTW, I much prefer the responsiveness of the LSS over the Z (but I guess it depends on how you define responsiveness). I LOVE the way the LSS compresses (especially on the lower wattage settings) when you really dig into the strings. IMHO, great, great feature.

pjrhd28 said:
I had a Maz 38 w/ verb thru the Z best 2/12
1. The Z is a one trick pony, and that is the Buddy Whittington Strat tone. ALmost useless with a PRS Cu 24 and totally useless with an LP Std. I could get close to that tone with the LSS, and the LSS does SO many other things, and I really like flexibity.
I haven't found this to be the case. Using a Parker Fly Mojo I've been able to get A LOT of sounds of the Maz so far. None of them are much like the Whittington strat sound.

pjrhd28 said:
2. I was always wrestling with the inherent brightness of the Z. Always trying to dial it out.
I see this as a potential concern; VERY bright amp

pjrhd28 said:
3. The LSS 5 watt setting is the best "light, whispy" clean I've ever heard.
Certainly a nice feature; however, in any reasonable volume context I've used it (except recording) it was not really a 'clean' sound

pjrhd28 said:
I don't think I'll ever get rid of the LSC; thru the Carr 2 x 12 cab, its almost as good as the Carr Slant 6V head I have. To me,its on the short list of the vary best 6L6 Fender based channel switchers. PLUS, try 6V6's or EL-34's.
Yes, I think no matter what the LSC stays

pjrhd28 said:
BTW, the Maz 18 is not a "baby" Maz 38. To me, those amps are a lot different that say running the LSS at 35 and then 15 watts.
What do see are the key differences between 38 and 18?
pjrhd28 said:
BTW, I much prefer the responsiveness of the LSS over the Z (but I guess it depends on how you define responsiveness). I LOVE the way the LSS compresses (especially on the lower wattage settings) when you really dig into the strings. IMHO, great, great feature.
This is a preference issue; I end up on the side of the Maz. I can really feel the shorter signal chain; I think the amp is much more responsive and direct.

What do see are the key differences between 38 and 18?

Two things, primarily:

1. At a given volume, the 18 will be significantly more dirty than the 38. Its probably suppose to be. The 18 does not have much headroom.

2. That inherent brightness did not seem as bad in the 18 as it was the in the 38.

MAybe because of 2 above, I actually liked the 18 more than the 38. although the headroom WAS a concern

BTW, I agree about the LSS 5 watt setting. Its gotta stay pretty quiet to retain the clean tone that I like so much.

Latest posts

Back