LSS Rectifier Tube

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timmerel

Reaction score
Does the rectifier tube make much difference to the sound of the LSS?

If it does, what are the alternatives and how do they change the tone?

It doesn't affect the tone directly, as it is not in the signal chain, but the different power draws from them affect the feel of your amp.

For example, putting in JJ GZ34s, the sound tightened quite a bit, and even seemed a bit cleaner (less buzzy).

You will only hear the the tube rectifier in use in the 5 watt or 15 watt mode, but not the 30 watt mode which the silicon rectifier will be in use.

DO NOT CHANGE THE 5YA rectifier tube to 5U4 or 5AR4 in the 5 watt mode. The 5U4, or 5AR4 rectifier tubes will supply too much voltage to the single EL84. It might be o-kay in the 15 watt mode but I'm not sure.

Now it depends, a train ears could distinguish the subtle difference between the tube rectifier and the solid state rectifier especially if that person with the train ears is playing the guitar and doing the evaluation. So say it so subtle, many cannot tell the difference.

So basically so long as the Mesa 5Y3 rectifier is working I wouldn't hear a difference by moving to say a Mullard 5Y3 or some other nifty NOS tube? i.e. I should not monkey with it? I wasn't think of changing to a different tubes type.

[Beavis' voice if you recall the episode] "Well, that's different!"

As far as different brands, I don't know. I just thought you were going to substitude to a larger voltage supplying rectifier tube.

Hope others chime in and give you an evalution of different brands.

Wow, Mullard! Do you know who supplies EL34s Mullards? :lol:

Mike, at KCA NOS Tubes, is selling these Bendix 6106 for a reasonable price:
382c.jpg

Probably the last rectifier you'll need to buy. They warm up slowly, working especially well for amps without a standby switch (not the LSS, I know, but interesting factoid anyway). I had forgotten to mention them to you in our earlier correspondence.

Rectifier tube changes, in my experience, can be subtle sometimes, bold other times - it depends on the amp, the tubes changed from/to, and how attuned you are to your amp. Given the other tube changes you've tried in your amp, I'd say you'll notice a change when going from the Mesa stock 5Y3GT. I would recommend the NOS change, if not just from the benefit of longer potential tube life, compared to current-production options. NOS rectifier tubes don't cost too awfully much.

- Thom

I read something elsewhere where somebody was saying that they like Mullard 5Y3s best, followed by the Bendix. Elsewhere somebody was recommending those branded Philco from the 50s, but of unknown manufacture.

Oh well, back to buying more NOS tubes - I shouldn't have asked! :wink:

Thanks guys.

Latest posts

Back