LSS Low End? or should I be looking at a subway or 22?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fishbookmark

Reaction score
I posted this question on another thread but thought I would try it with a new thread.

I am very spoiled by my MIIC+ It just shines in all the frequency ranges. It has amazing low end, it can get very deep and move a lot of air even at some lower volumes. But, it just won't break up and push the tubes unless it's at ear spliting volume.

So I need a lower volume amp for club and bedroom use. I owned a THD Univalve and althought the break up was great, it was very bright and had a muddy low end. I've been told that is the basic character of class A amps.

What about the Lone Star Special? I really want a lower volume amp that doesn't get muddy down low but I can still drive to break up or pull back to clean with my Strat volume knob.

And perhaps the LSS isn't the right amp, what about the Subway and Studio 22 models?

I would really love to get opinions from others.

Thanks!

The great thing about the LSS is the channel selectable wattage. Each channel can be set at 5, 15 or 30 watts. 5 watts is still loud for the bedroom.

The cheaper alternative would be to get a THD Hotplate or Weber Mass for your IIC+. This would allow you to crank that sucker at bedroom volume.

Ned

The THD hot plate is actually built into the univalve. I thought it sounded terrible. It turned that amp into fuzz. Before I sold it I was playing the Univalve with the hot plate off.

The other thing I was reading was about incorporating a volume pedal into the effects loop. I suppose that the loop must be at the end of the chain so you get all the gain of the amp at a lower volume with the volume pedal turned down.

Does the 5 and 15 watts at class A on the LSS have nicely defined bottom end?

The other thing I was reading was about incorporating a volume pedal into the effects loop. I suppose that the loop must be at the end of the chain so you get all the gain of the amp at a lower volume with the volume pedal turned down.

I actually do this in both of my rigs. I run an Ernie Ball volume pedal in the loop of my Mark III and I run a TC G-major in the loop of my Triaxis. The TC has a built in output or input level control that can be controlled with a midi expression pedal. The loop needs to be a series loop though. A parallel loop set at 100% will work, but not as good.

One note though, You cannot get power amp overdrive this way. You would have to depend on your pre-amp for any overdrive capabilities.

chedgeco... 8)

Latest posts

Back