LSS and hard (EVH) rock: Did I buy the wrong amp?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

suede11

Reaction score
Hey All,
New board member here. And a relatively new owner of an LSS head, which is my first "good" tube amp. Had it about 9 mos. I run the head into a closed back Orange 1x12 with a Celestion Vintage 30 in it. Only play at home, at low to medium volume, or louder when my wife's out. :)

Here's what's bugging me though:

So far, the distortion tone I really like (think Van Halen 1-ish) can only be attained by running a distortion pedal into the clean channel and using an EQ pedal to fine tune it. Trust me, I've tried every iteration over the last 9 mos to use just the amp alone to get something I like and I just can't find it without the pedals. The amp's gain lacks definition and top-end sizzle to me and no matter what I do the mids just dominate way too much, keeping things way wooly-er than I would like, taking me to Skynyrd/ZZ Top land, but no further. I'm OK with the tone I'm getting with the pedals I guess, but I feel like with an amp this nice (and expensive) the tasty tone I love should be coming from the amp, not the pedals.

So based on all that, do you think I bought the wrong amp? I realize the LSS is by no means an amp for metal, but most reviews claim it to be more than capable for hard rock. I was dead set on getting a Mesa. Compared it to an Express 5:25 the day I ordered it thought the LSS had richer tone, obviously. But maybe I was too hasty and should have looked further into other Mesa amps. Stiletto? TA-15?

Love to hear what guys think about this. I'm fine selling it and going for something else, but I've read so many posts here and elsewhere about the LSS, calling it the holy grail of amps etc. and telling people to just stick with it and that they'll dial in their tone eventually that I feel like I'm still doing something wrong. Just want to be sure before I bail on it. Thanks in advance for any help.

Assuming you're running the drive at 3:00 or better, gain at 11:00-12:00, mids and bass at 10:00 or below, treble and presence 1:00 or better. Those settings will get you the highest gain with the clearest tone. The treble pushed to 2:00ish really helps. I'm not sure if you're gonna get there (EVH) but you can stack the deck with some upgrades. The Reeder mods help clean up the mids and muds. Another consideration is doing a tube upgrade like the high gain package at Eurotubes. Just a standard tube package from them will help with articulation and tone.
https://ssl.eurotubes.com/cart/index.php?page=view_products&category_id=6&sub_category_id=138

Thanks plan-x, I'll try those settings. I forgot to mention that I did upgrade the tubes already, a matched quad of JJs for power tubes and Penta 12AX7As for preamp tubes, Sovtek in the phase inverter. 5Y3 is stock. Not sure if that's the ultimate mix for highest gain, but I did notice an improvement over stock. I do have an old GE 5Y3 I could try just to see what happens on the 5 watt setting. I've read about the Reeder mods, but it seems like opinions vary on effectiveness. Obviously I'd have to let my own ears decide, but since I may sell it I think I'll leave it "untouched" until I'm positive Reeder is the guaranteed ticket. Thanks.

Man, I tried these settings this morning after another band practice where the sound was just not what I wanted, and they're great! These LSS lead channel settings are so good I think I'll epoxy my knobs in place. The dirty rhythm sound I've been struggling to get out of this amp for well over a year just popped right out, and the lead tone (pushed with a good overdrive, I use the Keeley Luna Overdrive) had all the sustain and smoothness of the more traditional settings, but with far more clarity.

Thanks!

Great advice and good to see it worked! This amp is so much more versatile than it would seem. A lot of guys would scoff at me saying I can get a great, toothy Marshall type sound from the LSS, but I do it every day.

Like this:
Drive, Gain and Treble all a little past half (1:00-2:00), Mids and Bass around 10:00, Presence at noon for humbuckers, lower for singles. Then I experiment with the Thick and occasionally Thicker settings.

Don't forget to experiment with low settings on your Mid control - even Zero. There is no way to dial mids out of the LSS! But you can change the feel by turning down the Mid knob until the amp gets a squishier response.

Back